New Hair Style?

horsing around

Cathlete
I have one week to decide on a new hair style (or should I say a style). I work from home and basically put my hair in a ponytail each day. I'm fairly active, so I like being able to pull it back, but have grown tired of that look.

My hair is medium length, straight and thick, so I'm definitely considering layers. Do any of you have a style that has worked for your active lifestyle that you'd like to share?

Thanks!
Lisa

Catherine Zeta-Jones Long, Wavy, Black Hairstyle - Beauty Riot

This is Catherine Zeta Jones with wavy curly layers. I had a hair cut inspired by this, I think I brought a picture. I haven't been able to replicate it since, but it was always my fav.
You may be able to have the stylist show you how to make layers, so if you end up letting it grow out, you can cut it yourself, at least temp. until you can make it to the salon.
It is long enough to put up, but I can easily dress it up with a little mousse with it long too.
works great for straight hair too. and almost any face shape.
you can get it with bangs, but my hair is oily, so I avoid those. to prevent acne.

Lisa,

In the spring of this year, I had my hair cut into a short bob (above shoulder length). It was short in the back, descending a little longer in the front. My hairdresser does not use scissors, instead he uses a specialty razor and cuts while thinning. I have thick, straight hair, and this method works so well. Unfortunately, no pony tails, as the hair was just too short in the back. I did however pull up the front of my hair in a clip to keep it from getting into my face while working out. It felt great not to have a heavy load of hair bouncing up and down while doing cardio. I LOVED THIS LOOK! My favorite cut by far! I hate to fuss with my hair, and just wanted a simple style I could brush back (ha, ha, or not :eek:) and go.

Now my hair is longer than I want it to be, but I will definitely be getting that cut again shortly.

Natasha

Except for a couple of bobs in college, I have always had long hair, but have always been the lazy, ponytail type. I always wished I was better at doing my hair, but I could never get myself to make the effort most days, and when I did I could never wear any style that was in my face AT ALL so I'd always be pushing bangs or the sides of a bob, out of my face and messing up my style if I did do something.

Then about 3 years ago I went crazy and got a pixie cut and it's the best thing I've ever done. I love it, it's super easy and fast to do whether I'm going to work out or dressing up. Everywhere I go I get compliments from random people, and I have NEVER gotten compliments on my hair! It's very dramatic and not for everyone, but maybe something to consider.

My face shape is round/oval. I'm in my mid 40s. I don't know why I'm so nervous to get it cut shorter; I've done it short before and liked it.

I picked up a magazine and have a few pages tagged to show my hairdresser, so I'll see what I come up with!

Lisa

I had long hair for a long time, and finally got up the nerve to go short a number of years ago (my sister had super short hair and it looked fabulous on her, but I was nervous for a long time about doing it). I LOVED it short!!!!! It was fun, extremely stylish, and just fantastic. I got a TON of compliments on it when I was out and about from strangers. I'm now growing it back out again to a shoulder bob for a while just for a change (I like to mix things up now), but will go short again in the future when I'm sick of the longer style.

I would highly suggest going for it, if you've been thinking about it. A short cut is more work than longer (you can't just be lazy and pull it into a pony, but .... really, who wants that look, REALLY?), but it's not hard at all with a good cut, and with a good styling paste that you get good at using, you can have a ball with it.

I've always had long to medium length hair and decided to cut it in a short bob a few years ago. The cut was adorable, I got a lot of compliments, but short hair was too high maintenance for me. :eek: If you have a bad hair day, you're stuck with it. I grew my hair back right away.
I love pulling my hair back in a ponytail. I do a trendy ponytail, no scrunchies here! :D
I was at my hair salon last week and almost cut it short again until I met a 60 year old woman with hair extensions. I've never seen a more sexy 60 year old woman in my life. I'm talking smoking hot! She told me that she will have hair extensions in the nursing home because they make her happy. Amazing, gorgeous woman. :cool:
I decided to keep my hair long as long as it looks good on me and, I keep the style trendy.:)

I'm with you Fit44. I also cut my hair into a cute bob and loved the look for a while, but not being able to tie it back into a ponytail while working out drove me crazy. I'll be 60 next Oct and I still have long hair. It's about to the top of my boobies.....now don't laugh, it's not that long.LOL All of those Cathe pushups and weight work have done me a world of good. Could you tell me your trendy long style you have yours cut in? Getting older has made my hair a little thinner but I use a product called Clairol Jazzing in a clear coat to make it appear a little thicker. Love that stuff. I buy it a Sally Beauty

Dianne

I was at my hair salon last week and almost cut it short again until I met a 60 year old woman with hair extensions. I've never seen a more sexy 60 year old woman in my life. I'm talking smoking hot! She told me that she will have hair extensions in the nursing home because they make her happy. Amazing, gorgeous woman. :cool:
I decided to keep my hair long as long as it looks good on me and, I keep the style trendy.:)
I have never been a "short hair" kinda gal. My husband dislikes short hair, I do not believe it is flattering on me, and I agree that it is more work (styling/cuts, etc.) I have always had fine hair, but as I age, my hair just thins even more :(. I have my mother's hair :(. She is 72 and has been wearing a wig for at least 10 years now. I have always gotten haircuts at regular intervals, as I am so prone to split ends, and don't like to look unkempt. Regardless of the regular cuts, my thinning hair often made me feel self-conscious, and at times, depressed :(. I will turn age 54 in a month. :eek: Well, I just got hair extensions this past October and I am as tickled pink as the 60 year old gal you describe. :D It feel SO GOOD to have hair!!!! Funny thing is that neither my daughter or sister even realized I had gotten the extensions! That's how natural they look!! SO thrilled!!!! :D:D:D Yes, I'll be wearing them in the nursing home too, lol. When it comes to hair, I say, do what works best for your lifestyle and makes you feel good.

I'm with you Fit44. I also cut my hair into a cute bob and loved the look for a while, but not being able to tie it back into a ponytail while working out drove me crazy. I'll be 60 next Oct and I still have long hair. It's about to the top of my boobies.....now don't laugh, it's not that long.LOL All of those Cathe pushups and weight work have done me a world of good. Could you tell me your trendy long style you have yours cut in? Getting older has made my hair a little thinner but I use a product called Clairol Jazzing in a clear coat to make it appear a little thicker. Love that stuff. I buy it a Sally Beauty

Dianne

I've always required bangs...or at least I prefer them on me. My stylist cuts my hair tapered around my face and choppy layers in the back like this-
030521nancyodell.jpg

I flat iron for a choppy look and it works great when I use a spiral rod.
Another thing my stylist does, is color my hair with foil using three shades that give my hair dimension. I seriously love the way she colors my hair! I get a lot of compliments on my hair color from young girls in their 20's.:cool:

I had hair extensions to add volume and texture to my hair, but removed them. I missed the texture more than anything so I'm getting them put back in next week.:D

My trendy pony tail...I flat iron so I have smooth ends, and tease the crown like this-
Beautiful-Ponytail-Hairstyles-1.jpg

I have never been a "short hair" kinda gal. My husband dislikes short hair, I do not believe it is flattering on me, and I agree that it is more work (styling/cuts, etc.) I have always had fine hair, but as I age, my hair just thins even more :(. I have my mother's hair :(. She is 72 and has been wearing a wig for at least 10 years now. I have always gotten haircuts at regular intervals, as I am so prone to split ends, and don't like to look unkempt. Regardless of the regular cuts, my thinning hair often made me feel self-conscious, and at times, depressed :(. I will turn age 54 in a month. :eek: Well, I just got hair extensions this past October and I am as tickled pink as the 60 year old gal you describe. :D It feel SO GOOD to have hair!!!! Funny thing is that neither my daughter or sister even realized I had gotten the extensions! That's how natural they look!! SO thrilled!!!! :D:D:D Yes, I'll be wearing them in the nursing home too, lol. When it comes to hair, I say, do what works best for your lifestyle and makes you feel good.

Hi Complik8td,
My hair is just at or slightly below my shoulders and thin and fine. I have wanted extensions forever but am afraid they would just fall out or pull my hair out or both... Would you mind sharing a little info about your extensions? Just wondering if it's something maybe I should pursue. Thanks for any information you have. :)

Hair extensions

Happy to share my experience with you, Tracymac :)

What is interesting is that I consulted other hair dressers previously about ext, and they all said "no dice," with my hair type. I wonder, if like many great inventions, hair ext have been "perfected" somewhat? Who knows? The strands are made of human hair. At the top of the strand is an adhesive that is used to fuse the ext to your own hair strand. The stylist uses some sort of hot tool for the application. You sit for quite a while to have them applied, but the upside is that you can go for longer periods between haircuts. My stylist told me that the ext have to be touched-up/re-filled every 2-1/2 to 4 months, and she highly recommends removing them completely after a year for approx. four weeks or so, just to let your hair and scalp "breathe." I will be having my first re-fill in a two-month time frame. After that, I'd like to get touch-ups every 12 weeks. I did have a couple of strands fall out within the first 10 days after they were applied, but my stylist said that was normal. I swear I feel like a new person!! :D HTH! Good luck! :)

Hi Complik8td,
My hair is just at or slightly below my shoulders and thin and fine. I have wanted extensions forever but am afraid they would just fall out or pull my hair out or both... Would you mind sharing a little info about your extensions? Just wondering if it's something maybe I should pursue. Thanks for any information you have. :)

My extensions are different from complik8td's. Mine are human hair applied with a small cylinder beads. I have my adjusted every 5/6 weeks as my real hair grows. The advantage is there is no glue or damage to your hair and they last well over a year.... cons- expensive.
Here is a video of how micro link hair extensions are applied.

HAIR EXTENSIONS with MICRO-LINKS; cylinder beads - YouTube

I always tell my hair stylist that he can do whatever he wants with my hair AS LONG AS I CAN PUT IT IN A PONY TAIL. I just cannot imagine working out with hair falling in my face or stuck to my neck by sweat. I also love having the option of having it down or putting it up. Love the flexibility. My husband also likes long hair (mine is just to my shoulders). JMO.

My extensions are different from complik8td's. Mine are human hair applied with a small cylinder beads. I have my adjusted every 5/6 weeks as my real hair grows. The advantage is there is no glue or damage to your hair and they last well over a year.... cons- expensive.

Hi Fit44 and Complik8td - thanks to both of you for sharing your first-hand experiences. I guess I need to go talk to a hair professional and let them tell me if my hair can handle extensions. I would really love to have 'normal' hair. I have a ponytail about as thin as a pencil. I definitely have hair envy a lot!! :)

Thanks for sharing fit44. Very :cool:. This is my first experience with extensions, and I honestly did not do any research on the application methods. It seems the process that my stylist is using makes for more rapid application than the process that's used to apply yours. I think no matter the application type, extensions are $$$, but for me, they are very well worth the cost!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.