need more energy!!!

susanj

ok, for all of you who have been lifting weights for awhile, i have a question. i have been lifting for 1 1/2 years now, and am finding that my muscles are giving out on me too quickly. my question is: what can i take at 4 a.m. before i start lifting at 4:30 a.m. that will give me energy and help me to lift longer without muscle fatigue so quickly? i would like to see a little more muscle mass, and would like to get leaner and harder. i don't want huge bulky muscles but just good lean hard muscles. i seem to not have as much energy when i'm lifting heavier weights as i once did. i haven't really taken much as far as supplements. there are so many out there, i just don't know where to start. but i am really into weight training and want to see more results. would love to look like cathe. she looks awesome!!! thanks for your help!! susan
[email protected]

Susan,

I've been wondering the same thing (except change your 4:30a.m. to my 6:30a.m. ;-) ). I've been thinking of trying some GU or similar gel half an hour before so that there's enough glycogen to supply the muscles. Would that be sufficient? What do you all think out there?

:) Gretchen

Usually, muscles have enough stored glycogen to sustain energy for 90 to 120 minutes during exercise. It is normal to deplete your stores, to experience that "spent" feeling after weight training. What are you eating after you lift? Perhaps the key lies in how you refuel your muscles.

Hi Susan! I want you to take a look at the article in Muscle & Fitness Hers (the latest issue). It talks about the Perfect Diet. It's a high protein diet. If you're a person who lifts heavy weights more than 3 times a week plus cardio you need A LOT of protein! And don't be afraid of eating a lot of protein. I put it to the test. I'm now into my 4th week and what amazing results I achieved in such a short period of time. So check it out and try it. Best, Kathy

A nutritious dinner is essential for early a.m. exercisers so that the muscle & liver glycogen is topped off. Sports nutritionists (the ones with credentials like R.D.s & applicable degrees) recommend a high carb, moderate protein diet even for strength trainers. The closer consumption is to a workout, the higher in carbs it should be. Consume your protein post workout. Protein is essential but it's a very inefficient form of energy (fuel).

What I would do

Make sure you are getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of water. Start the workout with a little caffeine if it doesn't bother you for some other reason, and carbs. After the workout have a protein shake or a hard-boiled egg or some other little protein snack. Eat sufficient clean food the rest of the day and definitely take at least a multi-vitamin.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.