Need help from gym goers

Kimenem

Cathlete
I'm dealing with back trouble again and, due to this, have temporarily stopped all leg workouts using free weights and all cardio (Cathe). I'm still doing STS for upper body though. Anyway, I've re-joined the gym so I can use their cardio equipment and leg machines. The following are available: leg extensions, leg curls, leg press, inner/outer thigh machine, and a squat rack (the one that slides with you-not a free weight one). My question is this: I feel like I was making good progress with regard to my legs and I was in the middle of Meso 2, doing the 6 month rotation. How can I continue this using the gym machines? I have no idea what to do as far as reps/sets. Would the double wave load be something good to use? Someone else told me to do 6 sets of 10, but then again, is that lighter weight or as heavy as I can safely lift? I'm not really worried about bulking up because I'm tall but I would like more definition, especially in the inner thigh and hamstring area. Thanks.

I'm not any help whatsoever as far as the gym and equipment go, but just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery from your back problems.

I do the exact same number of sets and reps with leg machines as I do with free weights. You can test one rep max for a leg machine exactly the same way as you do for free weights.

I think it may be wise to consult with a physiotherapist on which machines are safe to use. I feel it in my low back, although it is fully supported by the backrest when I do heavy-leg extensions though not in a bad way.

I would start with lesser reps and sets as STS and go lower than one rep max for the target number of reps, on leg day and gradually build up if the back felt fine, subject to clearance from the physiotherapist.

To me, the ball and band work in the Leg workout in Gym Styles seems like it may be safer than weighted work. You may want to check if your physiotherapist prefers those exercises. You can do less machine exercises and do the latter part of gym styles from memory for your lower body until the back heals.

Good luck with recovering quickly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.