Need Advice.....

Amy Steppe

Cathlete
Hi all,

Can anybody help me design a workout that really targets the glutes?

I have all sorts of butt DVDs, but do any of you do a specific rotation or premix that makes you feel the burn?

My lower body is very strong and I almost never feel the burn no matter what.

Even Butts and Guts is not a challenge for me......I am not boasting I am in dire need of a method of making me really feel the burn.

I use heavy weights too....

Please help!

Thanking each of you in advance,

Amy

Do walking lunges with weights. Do your hardest lower body workout. Then add on 100 walking lunges using 20 lb dumbbells. }(

Kettlebells!
Many of the moves target the posterior chain, but heavy swings are fantastic!

(Amy, I know you tried 'my' "Butts and Guts re-mix." Does that not do it for you anymore?)

Amy,

I am the same way, nothing really makes me sore. My lower body is very strong too. But recently, I purchased a weighted vest and did walking lunges around my yard, I can hardly sit down, the DOMS is sooo bad!

Shannon's idea is great too! Geez Shannon, you machine you!

And as much as I hate to recommend anything by "Oxygen" magazine, they came out with a fabulous Glutes issue with all sorts of exercises to do. Check it out, it will give you some ideas.

I second Kathryn! My legs are STRONG! But, if I do a series of swings, tacticle lunges, and figure 8's, I'm toast the next day, especially in my glutes and hams. I *HEART* my kettlebells.

I have a very weak lower body, so I don't have much to offer. But you know how Cathe is always mentioning "mental assistance"? It really works. I find that if I really concentrate on feeling my glutes work while I do lunges, they're about 100% more effective. Just throwing it out there.

>tacticle lunges

Christine, no offense intended, but when I saw this mispelling of "tactical," I couldn't help but think of another (anatomical) word! (And I can't not think of it! I'm trying! But it's like an "earworm," but visual: and "eyeworm"? LOL!)

>I have a very weak lower body, so I don't have much to offer.
> But you know how Cathe is always mentioning "mental
>assistance"? It really works. I find that if I really
>concentrate on feeling my glutes work while I do lunges,
>they're about 100% more effective. Just throwing it out
>there.

Absolutely all this time I thought I was doing the right form but now I actually concentrate on the movement and what it is suppose to be doing. Lets see if I can help here:" Kickmax standing drills, floor work from legs and glutes, Floor legs from Gym Style, Stability ball legs from Pyramid Lower, Standing Glute work from Butts & Guts Floor Work Butts & Guts, maybe a segment of leg work from one of the high steps, same with leaner legs. Put them all together twice.
beth6395

"You didn't pause your dvd and go make popcorn did ya"
-Cathe Friedrich

http://www.picturetrail.com/juicyfruities2002

I read somewhere on this forum that the quads get exhausted alot earlier then the glutes, so they are the limiting factor.

The suggested exercises were those where you are on your hands and knees and moving the leg up (bent and straight leg) and those where you are on your back in 'bridge' position, moving your butt up. Also the exercises where you are lying on your side and raising the leg laterally.

I did Gym Style legs yesterday (Fri.) and I've got some major DOMS now. Like others have said, it's often about form. Also, I've started varying my leg routine more. One new thing that I'm doing that always burns (my sister's twisted idea actually) is parallel squats. I'm up to 55 lbs on the barbell. Parallel squats are very very deep-the tops of your thighs are parallel to the floor or slightly lower, and if you do them right you will feel them, especially in the quads. I thought I had great squat form before, but going deeper has made it like doing a whole new exercise!

Funny - I thought the exact same thing and as I read it, said "huh??" and reread! I think on the third time through I got it :) Of course, I'm dead tired and should already be in bed...zzzzzzzzzzz

I did Amy Bento's Slo-Mo the other day. It really was not my favorite at all, but went ahead and finished out all three parts. There are some good things in it, but for the most part, just didn't do anything for me. BUT, the glute work did me in. I was walking funny for a couple of days. I think, if you go to collagevideo.com and watch a clip of that one, it shows some of the glute work. Good luck - I know I always like to feel it too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.