Naughtoj

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-02 AT 01:32PM (Est)[/font][p] OMG Liane..

I just typed this totally long post about how I got into feral cats and I back buttoned too much and LOST IT!!! AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!

How sweet of you to think of me!! Yes, I did some research the other night and found that site and got set up for quarterly contributions. I would also like to find an organization locally...I got one of the internet and then emailed them stating I would be interested in volunteering for different jobs that won't be too emotionally involved with the cats.

In high school I befriended a nieghbor cat that was starving and started feeding it. Low and Behold, many cats showed up for the food and eventually, I found myself feeding a feral colony. I had a part time job and lived at home and spent much of my money on rent and cat food!! Every night I would go outside and try to pet these cats and after about 6 months, one of them had babies and dropped them off right on my doorstep (Literally!!). 4 cats out of that litter!! My mom didn't know what to do, so we took them in. They grew up pretty wild as they had to be indoor/outdoor for my mom to condone it. After about a year, I finally got one of the feral cats to come to me and he let me touch him!! He was an all white albino we called "Little One". It was such an emotional event after all that work that I think my mom even cried. Anyway, eventually some of the cats became semi-socialized and we would put them in our garage at night.

To this day I have moved away from my mom's house and took one of the feral cats with me that now is no longer feral and even sleeps on my pillow every night!! Every one of the cats that I was able to trap I did and fixed every one. Now, my mom still has 2 cats from that 4-cat litter (they are 10 yrs old now) one 5 year old from another litter, and finally a 2 year old from the third and FINAL litter from the cat that I now own, Blackie. She still feeds feral cats in her neighborhood, but she just keeps dry food out, probably mostly because she knows I want her to, and now I think there are only 2 feral cats that eat it. And of course, all the other cats with owners and collars that just want to eat it!!

Anyway, picture me....I cry whenever I see a dead animal on the road. No matter what it is. The other day I saw a BIRD get clipped by a car, of course it went down, but there I am...all upset the whole way home!!! I saw a cat get hit the other day and I was crying all the way home. And I don't even know these animals!!! My husband kids around with me and says, "OH NO, BIRD SUICIDE!!". People just make fun of me because I am so emotional about it, but I guess it comes from the fact that during early high school, most of my best closest friends, were cats!!

So, finally, I have decided to do something about it. My husband supports it, but he does not want to live with a million cats (which is probably what I would do if I didn't have him:). So, I will continue to research the kinds of organizations I am interested in.

I found one called "Maddie's Fund", a no-kill organization that tries to help you decide which other organization to fund, or help. I don't know, it is all new to me!!
Thanks so much though Liane, for thinking of me. It is nice to know that others out there might think it is just as important. Hey, even the cat haters would benefit from a lower cat population, right?

If you find anything else, by all means let me know!!

Janice

I was very happy to help you. I do a lot of volunteer animal rescue myself. Rabbits are my animal of choice, but I also work with rescued tigers, goats and sugar gliders. I am looking at grant-writing for some local organizations also. Email me if you like at [email protected]. Give me your email and I'll send you stuff privately whenever I find it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.