NASM Certification

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Hi All.

I am a newly certified personal trainer. I certified with WITS. I am working at a training studio (only part time right now but the goal is to go full time eventually) and the owner thinks I should consider getting the NASM PT cert. He thinks it's the best one out there. He warned me that it's tough but worth it for what it will give me (including an automatic pay increase at his place!;))

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone out there is NASM certified and what are your thoughts about it? Do you feel it's worth it when compared to the other certs out there?

Thanks in advance!:)

Hi All.

I am a newly certified personal trainer. I certified with WITS. I am working at a training studio (only part time right now but the goal is to go full time eventually) and the owner thinks I should consider getting the NASM PT cert. He thinks it's the best one out there. He warned me that it's tough but worth it for what it will give me (including an automatic pay increase at his place!;))

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone out there is NASM certified and what are your thoughts about it? Do you feel it's worth it when compared to the other certs out there?

I'm not certified, but wanted to say, "Congratulations!"

Hi All.

When I read this you got me interested. I have toyed with idea of being a trainer because I love fitness and exercise and being fit and I think exercise is soooo important to ones well- being.

I just looked a a place called NPTI fitness training near me. They give you 500 hrs of certified NASM training and then the certificate if you pass or whatever when you are done. I would have to go to their school m-th from 10:30 to 3 for 6 months. This sounds great to me.... However as with anything it costs money...it is about $6000 from what I understand....

And ....great going Wendy!!,!

I am ACE certified, but also have my NASM PES (Athletic Training) and I really think it all depends on what you want to do with it. I worked at the local YMCA for awhile and a lot of the trainers there did not have an accredited certification...I had looked into WITS a long time ago and decided not to go in that direction because I had heard that it's not really one of the top certs for PT and that some places are picky about that. However, I bet the material is not much different from the MASN exam and that you wouldn't have to study that much more. When I studied for the PES, it was somewhat review...and the easy part about that one was that the exam was on-line and at your convenience.

It might be worth it to go in that direction (or ACE)...good luck and congrats, it's a fun career. I love it!!!!

When I read this you got me interested. I have toyed with idea of being a trainer because I love fitness and exercise and being fit and I think exercise is soooo important to ones well- being.

I just looked a a place called NPTI fitness training near me. They give you 500 hrs of certified NASM training and then the certificate if you pass or whatever when you are done. I would have to go to their school m-th from 10:30 to 3 for 6 months. This sounds great to me.... However as with anything it costs money...it is about $6000 from what I understand....

And ....great going Wendy!!,!

Hey Tracy,

I don't know that I would invest that kind of $$ in a training cert right off the kick. You can certainly go for NASM but there are much cheaper options ranging from $600 to $1200 depending on what you want. I read about what you mentioned too and it sounds great but is it really worth it?? IDK. I am going to ask my boss at the studio about it. If you are interested, I will let you know what he says!

I am ACE certified, but also have my NASM PES (Athletic Training) and I really think it all depends on what you want to do with it. I worked at the local YMCA for awhile and a lot of the trainers there did not have an accredited certification...I had looked into WITS a long time ago and decided not to go in that direction because I had heard that it's not really one of the top certs for PT and that some places are picky about that. However, I bet the material is not much different from the MASN exam and that you wouldn't have to study that much more. When I studied for the PES, it was somewhat review...and the easy part about that one was that the exam was on-line and at your convenience.

It might be worth it to go in that direction (or ACE)...good luck and congrats, it's a fun career. I love it!!!!

The other trainer at the studio I work for has her NASM-PES as well and is apparently a great trainer!

WITS is a cert that just gaining in popularity and acceptance now and not all over the country but at least in my area (North East) it is...I chose it because of the classroom time, the hands-on approach and the test that was NOT open book like the AFPA at home test I taken several years ago when I first attempted to become a trainer. In areas where WITS is accepted I am told it's a great beginner cert that can get you started and make studying for future certifications such as NASM a bit easier since you already have a base of knowledge under your belt.

I guess the bottom line for me is, if I plan to stay on with this studio long term and the owner feels NASM is worth it, then I will do it. I just hope I pass the test! :eek::eek:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!:)

WITS is a cert that just gaining in popularity and acceptance now and not all over the country but at least in my area (North East) it is...I chose it because of the classroom time, the hands-on approach and the test that was NOT open book like the AFPA at home test I taken several years ago when I first attempted to become a trainer.

Exactly the reason why I thought of doing WITS as well! Good luck in your decision...in the end, experience makes all the difference!

I have several certifications...ACE-GX and Health Coach, NASM- PT and CES, and NETA PT/GX/Yoga/Pilates... I would have to say that the most beneficial to me and my career has been the NASM certifications. If you have the time and $$$ I think they are worth it.

Shayne

Hey Tracy,

I don't know that I would invest that kind of $$ in a training cert right off the kick. You can certainly go for NASM but there are much cheaper options ranging from $600 to $1200 depending on what you want. I read about what you mentioned too and it sounds great but is it really worth it?? IDK. I am going to ask my boss at the studio about it. If you are interested, I will let you know what he says!

Yes I am very interested to know what your boss says. I am going to check into it. Here is the link for NPTI fitness:

National Personal Training Certification by a Certified Personal Trainer School (NPTI)

The npti here by me for the SFO Bay Area has 5 star reviews on yelp. This is one reason I am very interested. Also when checking for jobs on Craigslist the jobs want the nasm certification, but this training is said to be that much more of a boost for fitness organization employment.

However, for you, Wendy, I am thinking you would probably not especially need the expensive school because you already have your foot in the door in terms of employment at a gym. That is something I don't have which is why it may be a good choice for me.

Last edited:
I will but I would really like to hear what your boss has to say...or did you already post it and I missed it?...

Ack, I forgot to ask him last time I saw him! :eek: I have to email him today so I will ask him then so I don't forget and let you know! :)

ETA:: Ok, I just emailed him so I'll keep you posted! :)

Last edited:
Tracy,

I guess it depends - hands on is always better but if he/she is going to be
working in a gym there will be hands on experience anyway. I'm wondering
if it would be worth 5, 6, 7 times the cost? Not sure, but I'd lean
towards a regular CPT cert and get experience training people.

That being said, there is a far less expensive certification that offers something similar to the WITS internship that I went through and found very helpful. Could be an option as well...

HTH!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.