My posts were deleted and I was threatened to be banned from the forum!

EricaH

Cathlete
I replied to two of Chris' posts in this thread about the music in STS http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275366

In my first post, I stated that I liked STS Strength, but didn't like the music. I didn't write anything worse than previous posters did - mostly that it was uninspiring. I also wrote that I love the music in Bodymax 2 and reach for that workout often because of the music.

In my second post, after Chris wrote how SNM spends more money than any other instructor in the industry and how hard it is to get good music, I pointed out that I liked Kelly Coffey-Meyer's music in Muscle Definition and that I didn't think that more money=better music in all cases.

I received an email saying that I had violated forum guidelines due to my negativity and that my posts were being deleted. The email also stated that I may be banned from the forum if I had any more infractions. I doubt that this post will stay up for very long either.

I've been a Cathe customer and forum member for a very long time. I think I've bought ever DVD since the late '90s except for the beginner/intermediate ones, but I won't be buying anymore.

Erica

Last edited:
I am sorry that happened to you Erica. I think we should be allowed to constructively criticize things in here. I'm all for being positive but not if you have to hide your true feelings about a product in order to be positive. I mean, if you don't like something...then you don't like it. Period.
Just my two cents.

Wow!
Maybe someone on the SNM side was having a bad day!
Seems to me that contstructive criticism is something that any business should crave. Maybe they were upset that you mentioned other instructors specifically - although we all do that every day out here without any thought to it.
Yikes. That would leave a very sour taste in my mouth too!

Are you sure it's not a programmed response? You know, some systems are designed to pick up on specific terminology by algorithm and post a cookie-cutter reply. Why not send an inquiry about it directly to SNM and see what they say?

I can't imagine them kicking you off for that! Maybe if you were being verbally abusive to someone or violently threatening or cursing, but this? I would give them the benefit of the doubt and ask directly - go to the source.

It seems a little extreme to me.

Are you sure it's not a programmed response? You know, some systems are designed to pick up on specific terminology by algorithm and post a cookie-cutter reply. Why not send an inquiry about it directly to SNM and see what they say?

I can't imagine them kicking you off for that! Maybe if you were being verbally abusive to someone or violently threatening or cursing, but this? I would give them the benefit of the doubt and ask directly - go to the source.

It seems a little extreme to me.

I'm absolutely sure that I didn't receive a programmed response. The funny thing is that what I wrote wasn't anything worse than what has been said in the postage stamp thread. Are other people receiving emails saying they violoated forum rules or is because I replied directly to Chris and he didn't like what I had to say?

Erica

Wow!
Maybe they were upset that you mentioned other instructors specifically - although we all do that every day out here without any thought to it.
Yikes. That would leave a very sour taste in my mouth too!

I only mentioned another instructor because Chris said that they spend more money on music than anyone else in the industry. I was just giving an example of an instructor that had better, more motivating music (IMO) without spending so much.

Erica

[FONT=&quot]Hi Everyone! I just want to let you know that we have deleted a couple of posts in our Shock Cardio thread because we found them to be rude and non-constructive comments that were written to be hurtful rather than helpful . We have always prided ourselves in having/providing a website that was welcoming, encouraging, educational, positive and helpful. We love to see you interact with us and one another in this manner. We also realize that people will also have opinions that differ from one another and have never silenced you from being able to express that opinion as long as it was done tactfully, constructively, and with the intention of being helpful. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lately we have noticed a few posters taking advantage of this policy and stating comments in a very rude and hurtful way. When we see this, we will delete your post immediately. Unfortunately, we are seeing this more than we care to lately on our forums and for this reason we are going to be cracking down harder than we have in the past and deleting posts that we find inappropriate, negative, rude and hurtful. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We love a friendly positive environment, one that makes people happy to come to our site to learn, share and grow from one another. If your purpose is to come on the site to be hurtful, rude, negative or to embarrass us or any one of our forum members your post will automatically be deleted. You also may be sent a warning via email as to why you were deleted. If the behavior continues we will have to ban you from our site. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I really hate to have to sound this harsh but this negative behavior sours our whole community and goes against what we stand for. While on the topic of deleting threads, we have also noticed an awful lot of forum members using our site as a way to promote other products where a profit stands to be made for the forum poster. We do not allow any form of solicitation on our siteeither overtly or covertly. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We would like to once again kindly remind everyone that we don’t allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used for “customers” who want to openly and honestly discuss other fitness DVDs or products, not to be used by other companies to promote or sell their products. Though this has been a problem for many years, lately it seems to once again have greatly expanded. If you work for another fitness company either directly or indirectly or are an internet marketer... we ask that you not post on our site about any products you sell. Customers on our site need to know that discussions about fitness DVDs and products are honest and from fellow customers, not from sellers that appear and seem to be customers. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Thank you everyone for understanding our position and working together with us as a community to continue to make CathedotCom the warm, friendly, positive environment we have always strived to provide and maintain. [/FONT]

Question for Cathe

I totally understand that you want to keep your forum a positive friendly place, but if a customer wants to give you some constructive advice, what is the best way for them to do so? I would think you'd want to keep your eye on your customers' pulse and understand what they loved, and what they didn't like so much. Please tell us if there's a way to do this that you would endorse.

Stebby

[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]We would like to once again kindly remind everyone that we don’t allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used for “customers” who want to openly and honestly discuss other fitness DVDs or products, not to be used by other companies to promote or sell their products. Though this has been a problem for many years, lately it seems to once again have greatly expanded. If you work for another fitness company either directly or indirectly or are an internet marketer... we ask that you not post on our site about any products you sell. Customers on our site need to know that discussions about fitness DVDs and products are honest and from fellow customers, not from sellers that appear and seem to be customers. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Thank you everyone for understanding our position and working together with us as a community to continue to make CathedotCom the warm, friendly, positive environment we have always strived to provide and maintain. [/FONT]

Cathe - are you accusing me of soliciting other products because I mentioned another instructor in response to Chris' reply? If so, I don't think that's promoting the "warm, friendly, positive environment" you say you want to provide.

Erica

I replied to two of Chris' posts in this thread about the music in STS http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275366

In my first post, I stated that I liked STS Strength, but didn't like the music. I didn't write anything worse than previous posters did - mostly that it was uninspiring. I also wrote that I love the music in Bodymax 2 and reach for that workout often because of the music.

In my second post, after Chris wrote how SNM spends more money than any other instructor in the industry and how hard it is to get good music, I pointed out that I liked Kelly Coffey-Meyer's music in Muscle Definition and that I didn't think that more money=better music in all cases.

I received an email saying that I had violated forum guidelines due to my negativity and that my posts were being deleted. The email also stated that I may be banned from the forum if I had any more infractions. I doubt that this post will stay up for very long either.

I've been a Cathe customer and forum member for a very long time. I think I've bought ever DVD since the late '90s except for the beginner/intermediate ones, but I won't be buying anymore.

Erica

I'm sorry too Erica. This is very disturbing. I don't think that your posts were rude or malicious in any way. Clearly you were not trying to sell another instructor's products.

I'm also wondering what Stebby asked: where should constructive criticism be directed?

For the record, I love Cathe products and I've bought every single one of Cathe's workouts since the middle 90's.

Thank you for expressing your view points so tactfully here Erica. I am sincere when I tell you that if you would have worded your post as tactfully as you have here we would not have deleted your post. I agree that your second post regarding the music in another DVD was not "as" negative however since it stemmed off the tone of your original much less tactful post we deleted them both. We appreciate the business that you have given us over the years and accept that you have chosen to leave us at this time. However, as a company, we stand firm in making/keeping our community a friendly and constructive place to visit. As you can see in this thread I have also posted that we are going to be more aggressive and less tolerant of posts which display a tone or message that is not written constructively or with civility.

We encourage anyone of our posters to reread their words (whether expressing a note of the same or opposing view) before posting them. If after reading them you feel that you expressed your view politely and tactfully, again whether an opposing or same view point, please post it. If not then please find a constructive way to state your opinion so that everyone who reads it can benefit from it.

Thank You So Much :)

Erica

If you don't like a product or would like to see things change for future products, why not email SNM privately and let them know? I read that thread and was shocked. I found it disrepectful. We are in Cathe's house and we follow Cathe's rules. This is a wonderful place to hang out and share knowledge and positive energy, but SNM is a business and there's no reason they should have to take people crapping all over their products on their own websites. Would you go to someone's house and start trashing the furniture and telling them their baby's ugly? Constructive criticism is welcome when framed the right way, but even more welcome is discreet feedback from long-time customers.

Last edited:
If you don't like a product or would like to see things change for future products, why not email SNM privately and let them know? I read that thread and was shocked. I found it disrepectful. We are in Cathe's house and we follow Cathe's rules. This is a wonderful place to hang out and share knowledge and positive energy, but SNM is a business and there's no reason they should have to take people crapping all over their products on their own websites. Would you go to someone's house and start trashing the furniture and telling them their baby's ugly? Constructive criticism is welcome when framed the right way, but even more welcome is discreet feedback from long-time customers.

What she said!

Carrie

Hello, attn: moderators

Just a question for clarification, I think I had one or two posts deleted, one recently, but I thought I was just passing time of day, really innocuous, conversation, how would I know if I said something wrong?

Today I happened to get an email that had a fitness personality types article in it, linking it to a survey, "8 colors of Fitness" I was shocked to see my results & how exactly it described my approach to exercising & fitness, as an example, would it be wrong to post this? And if I wanted to share that is it appropriate to share it here?

Just asking,

Linda

Just a question for clarification, I think I had one or two posts deleted, one recently, but I thought I was just passing time of day, really innocuous, conversation, how would I know if I said something wrong?

Today I happened to get an email that had a fitness personality types article in it, linking it to a survey, "8 colors of Fitness" I was shocked to see my results & how exactly it described my approach to exercising & fitness, as an example, would it be wrong to post this? And if I wanted to share that is it appropriate to share it here?

Just asking,

Linda

Check out Post 7 by Cathe in this thread. I'm pretty sure you're fine with what you want to post.

Hi Linda and thank you for asking. If you are unsure as to whether you should be posting something please just send it off to customer service and they will forward it to us. We will send you a response and let you know.

But please understand that posting about another product (interesting article, etc.) is not a problem if you are not tied into that company's product as an employee, a sales person, or someone who stands to gain a profit by mentioning this company's name.

Please also understand that we are not trying to make this difficult by establishing a long list of rules of what is and isn't acceptable. I feel that we all just need to trust our instincts and go with the obvious. If you are being hurtful and rude to us or a fellow forum member, it is not acceptable. If you are working as a sales rep for a product and you come on our site and let everyone know about it, it is not acceptable. If you are trying to sell your DVD's on our site, it is not acceptable. And again, if there is anything else that you have doubts about posting, then please email us privately and we will let you know.

Thanks So Much :)

Just asking,

Linda

Just asking,

Linda

I don't believe we have deleted any posts by you. They're probably still on our site, but several pages back.

Thank You,

Trying to be mindful, and realizing at times humor, sarcasm, self-depricating remarks don't always translate very well in the web-world.

Ever mindful (or trying to be :) )

Linda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.