My honesty cost me $32!

dss62467

Cathlete
When I was getting my daughter's guinea pigs from Petco the other day, I had the girl put them both in the same box so they could comfort each other in their fear. So when I went to pay for them, the girl at the cash register only rang up one because the other girl only put "guinea pig" on the sales slip. There was the 5 second argument on my shoulders between the devil and the angel...but the angel won and I told the cashier that there were two piggies in the box. To me, that would be stealing and I would be disgusted with myself. I definitely don't think I would have felt comfortable giving my child a stolen guinea pig!

Even though I think $32 for a guinea pig is kind of pricey. The breeder was only going to charge $10! Of course, the breeder isn't trying to pay the salaries of thousands of employees...

I think you were very wise! I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. Anytime I'm in a line and the cashier makes a mistake, I always tell him/her and they look at me like I'm nuts. I then proceed to tell them that if I didn't, my car would end up broken down, or my washing machine would go out, or I'd lose the $20 bill in my purse!

Sarah

I feel the same way. My integrity is worth more to me than the money. You did the right thing, not the easy thing.

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

What Sarah said...

...and how embarassed would you have been if you walked out of the store and for some reason, someone noticed and approached you to pay for the second one?????????????

I can relate!

My honesty cost me $400 the other day. I was buying some cast aluminum patio furniture... 4 chairs and a glass top table. The salesperson rang me up a total and I paid. The total was a lot less than what she had quoted to me. She said to me, "OH, it must be on sale and I didn't know it!" So, I'm thinking that's just great!

As I was leaving, I looked down at my printed receipt and realized she had only charged me for the 4 chairs and not the table. I went back over to her and told her I needed to pay for the table. I could've had a free $400 table! Still, honesty is the best policy!

Donna,
You did the right thing. I truly believe that being a good person has its own rewards. Good for you :) !
Cathy
:)

You did the right thing, I believe in keeping a good Karma bank account also. You should feel good about yourself, you won the battle between good, and evil.

I would never jeopardize my heavenly reward by benefitting from another's mistake. Situations like the one's we've all experienced are opportunities to demonstrate to "the world" how we are expected to treat one another.

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

Nice way of putting it, Kim. Although, I look at it more as an opportunity to demonstrate to myself that I have developed the morals that are important to me and do not give in to temptation like I did in my early 20's. If I had been the same person I was when I was 22, I would have taken the free pig. Maybe even grabbed a bag of food and snuck it under my shirt on my way out.

Donna~

Ah yes... our "old lives".... Been there, done that. I never judge because I think to myself, "There but for the grace go I".... foolish youth. PTL we've seen the light, learned and have been changed.

I hope your daughter is enjoying her guinea pigs. You sound like a terrific mom.

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.