My favorite Diet plan

lbeach

Cathlete
Hello all!

I used to be a vegetarian (i did eat fish), but then started eating meat again because i wasn't getting enough iron. But since then (its been about a year) my body just doesn't feel as good. So, in an effort to compromise, I recently decided to go back to my old favorite eating plan. The Millennium Diet, (published in 2000 by prevention magazine)has always been my personal favorite diet that i tend to come back to whenever i'm trying to lose weight. (You can view it on their website at http://www.prevention.com/cda/feature2002/0,2479,s1-161,00.html?).

I'd like to get some opinions on whether this diet really is as good as I think it is and wondered if any of you all had seen/tried this before?

let me know what you guys think! :p
-Leslie

I haven't tried it, but it sounds good (healthy and taste wise). How much weight have you lost when you have done it in the past and how long do you follow it at a time?

Usually i follow it for as long as I can until I get bored. I think the main reason i lose weght on it is because i have something to follow. I have a hard time losing weight with no plan because i'm very uncreative with my meals and it leaves me wanting for something more (thus i eat more).

I generally eat pretty clean any ways, so I don't have a ton of weight to lose, never more than about 5 pounds. But I do always feel better about myself, and have more energy when following it. I think it is a well-balanced diet that coincides with what my body naturally tells me is good for me.

There is more information on it if you go to www.prevention.com and type in "millennium" in the search box. There is a page that explans the concept and reasoning behind the diet, which many of you may find insightful :)

-Leslie

Hi Leslie, that plan does look good. As you were a vegetarian before I'd like to suggest a good book to read if you'd like. "Eat to Live" by Dr Joel Fuhrman. It convinced me to go vegetarian but it does have a 7 day plan limiting animal protein to 12 ounces. I have so enjoyed eating more fruit and vegeys and feel better than I ever have. The results for me and my DH have been amazing. I have not missed chicken or turkey at all...:)...Carole

I like the sample diets in Oxygen magazine a lot. I dont follow the sample diets exactly (boring), but I follow the general rules of 1) eat every 3 hours; 2) eat protein with every meal; 3) eat about 300-400 calorie breakfasts, lunchs and dinners; 4) eat a few snacks in between that are 100-200 calories (nuts, yogurt, 1/2 protein bar or shake, peanut/soy butter, etc); 5) eat vegetables, fruit and high fiber grains; 6) try to stay away from high glycemic foods such as white rice, white bread (cause your body to store fat not burn it), candy, high salt foods, and trans fats.

For me its a lifestyle change, not hard to follow, fun and I love cooking healthy meals for my husband who has high blood pressure. He loves the food and doesnt even realize its very healthy. I dont miss much except the occasional piece of birthday cake, but I make exceptions, especially when its my birthday.

Thanks for sharing Leslie. It looks healthy and tasteful to me. I printed it out for future reference. I follow the weight watchers points system so I'm not sure what each days points would be, but then again, that's why I printed out.

Diana

My favorite diet is pizza, fudge, & Edie's Ice Cream Sandwich ice cream.:9

But, since I like to stay reasonably thin, I stick to Atkins. I've gotten lots of criticism for this (including from posters on this board), but I'm 5'4" & weigh 105 lbs, feel great, look great, & have no health problems whatsoever. I've been on the diet 2 years now & never go hungry.

And of course I do splurge once in a while--a girl needs SOMETHING to look forward to!

Hi, Leslie!

I'm with Maximus except mine is pizza, dark chocolate and a pistachio almond ice cream cone from Baskin Robbins.

It looks like a clean and lean diet. The calories are low so if you workout vigourously, you may need to boost them. I'd probably add a little protein to the dinner too, maybe toss white beans on a salad. I find if I eat mainly carbs, even good complex ones, I get hungry later. And that's when I hear the ice cream calling my name. I'm 5' 7", 115 and eat about 1800 calories a day if memory serves. I have not tracked my intake in awhile. Here's a link to a terrific website if you care to use an online calculator to keep tabs on your food intake: http://www.fitday.com

My 15 year old has been moving toward vegetarianism for awhile and I have decided to join her with the exception of fish and shellfish which I eat occasionally. I have been mostly veggie for a long while but found it easier to eat what I feed the carnivores at dinner which we share as often as possible. They only eat beef and chicken. I usually make ground beef tacos once an week. It's surprising we don't cluck with the amount of chcken we've consumed. :) I made tacos last night and prepared the crumbles for Ali and myself. I seasoned them the same as the burger and other than a slight difference in texture and a "beaniness" I didn't mind, they were good. I think I am going to enjoy my new plan and I am definitely checking out Carole's book recommendation. Good luck with your food plan!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Hi, Leslie!

I'm with Maximus except mine is pizza, dark chocolate and a pistachio almond ice cream cone from Baskin Robbins.

It looks like a clean and lean diet. The calories are low so if you workout vigourously, you may need to boost them. I'd probably add a little protein to the dinner too, maybe toss white beans on a salad. I find if I eat mainly carbs, even good complex ones, I get hungry later. And that's when I hear the ice cream calling my name. I'm 5' 7", 115 and eat about 1800 calories a day if memory serves. I have not tracked my intake in awhile. Here's a link to a terrific website if you care to use an online calculator to keep tabs on your food intake: http://www.fitday.com

My 15 year old has been moving toward vegetarianism for awhile and I have decided to join her with the exception of fish and shellfish which I eat occasionally. I have been mostly veggie for a long while but found it easier to eat what I feed the carnivores at dinner which we share as often as possible. They only eat beef and chicken. I usually make ground beef tacos once an week. It's surprising we don't cluck with the amount of chcken we've consumed. :) I made tacos last night and prepared the crumbles for Ali and myself. I seasoned them the same as the burger and other than a slight difference in texture and a "beaniness" I didn't mind, they were good. I think I am going to enjoy my new plan and I am definitely checking out Carole's book recommendation. Good luck with your food plan!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

Hey Bobbi!

I haven't had tacos ("real" or otherwise) in forever! But you put a craving in my head now! :9

1800 calories a day is too much for me. Before i started working at a desk job i would easily consume 2200+ calories, but once i starting sitting on my rear end for the majority of the day, i gained about 10 pounds. Since then i've dropped my intake to about 1400-1600 calories a day depending on how much i workout that day and am back to my normal weight.. well... almost. i'm 5'5" and weigh 125, i like me better at 120... I love food and i wish i could eat more! }( haha

Thanks for the link though! i'll definately check it out.

I do however add some extra proteinto the meals in the diet plan i posted. (e.g. extra egg whites, a scoop of protein powder, replace rice with extra fish).

I went to the book store the other day and looked for that book... but... alas... they were out of stock. I may just have to order it! ;)

OK... i'm done yapping :+

-Leslie

Hi Bobbi....I had no idea you ever tried vegetarian....could just be a blonde moment for me...:)...I think you might enjoy this book. It certainly convinced stubborn me!!! But it was also just good reading and yes, I had to order it too. I think I remember Barnes & Noble saying it would be out in paperback this Jan. There is this brandname called Lightlife, could be their site too www.lightlife.com (not sure though) I get it at our local grocery store. They make a soy based sausage, steak, ground beef and a ground taco seasoned meat that made great tacos. Even DH liked it!! Huge shock there...:)....I like the Tofutti also (tofu sour cream) which shocked me...:)...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.