Moms of teen boys...OMG!

I have 3 healthy, active teen girls with good appetites and I always cook more than needed as leftovers never last long around here. Well now 2 of them have boyfriends and OMG, I pretty much double what I used to prepare to feed them and there ain't nothin' leftover! It's my pleasure to have them here and feed them but thank God it's only a few nights a week. I am left wondering how do you ladies feed these human eating machines all week without going broke and/or getting a second fridge/pantry for them. I laugh at my daughter's 18 year old BF...whenever he's here he's constantly foraging for food, a bean pole of a bottomless pit. What I wouldn't give to eat like that and stay lean:)

Take Care
Laurie:)

This made me laugh! Thank you.

I have a teenage boy who is healthy and active and pretty much eats 24/7. He’s only 14 but he is 6’1 and 240. During football season he tends to eat MORE. I’m not quite sure how that is possible, but I do know that during football season my food bill goes up and he never seems satisfied. We do have a huge pantry and we are discussing getting a second fridge but that has not come to pass yet. During football season my husband tends to joke that he needs to get a second job to keep Julian fed, but somehow we seem to manage without that. :)

I’m sure your girl’s boyfriend’s parents appreciate the break a few times a week – but I’m also sure that when those boys get home they still forage for food. :)

Travis

Hi Laurie!

I can certainly relate to the teeenage boys and their eating! My boys are 20 and 24 now, but my 20 yo still eats like that. When he comes home from college during the holidays, it seems that every time I look at him he says he is starving. He is exactly a "beanpole of a bottomless pit"! I love it becasue we don't have to worry about leftovers that nobody wants and unfortunately get tossed or sweets that I shouldn't eat.

You are so kind to feed them.
GIn:)

Okay,
I am scared! I have a 13 year old who is almost 6'0 and 138 pounds and eats all the time and a 10.5 year old son who is starting to too! Egads I am headed for the poor house ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(
Laura

I had to laugh also. I have three sons 23, 21 & 17. We have a regular fridge, standing freezer and another small fridge in the family room. The older ones come home from college amd it's an eating fest with their younger brother. They are always "starving".

Travis, my daughter's BF is a trick biker and very active in the summer. You made me realise that I'm in for it this year, he was still 'company' last summer and on 'good behaviour' when he was here. Now he's pretty much part of the furniture and very comfortable. I'd best consider this when grocery shopping:)

Gin, your right! I always bake for Sunday dinner and Lucas and Marty plow right through it, no temptations left in the cupboard.

Laura, time to stock up!!:)

Jen, funny my Girl's never 'competed' when eating but boys seem to do that.....because they can! Marty can eat a weeks worth of 'recess snacks' for one after school snack.

I remember my high school boyfriend always being in trouble with his Mom for doing things like frying up a pound of ground meat for a 'snack' that was meant to be the family dinner. Another time his Mom had cooked a batch of lasagna noodles before work to make dinner prep easier after work....he ate all of it...she was pi$$ed! I love having these boys around, increase grocery bills aside, they've added a whole different dimension to life in Estrogenville:7

Take Care
Laurie :)

I loved it when we would go on family vacations when our boys were teenagers. At a restaurant, I could eat just half of my meal and between my 2 boys and my DH, they would gladly finish the rest of my meal. Of course they would "eye" whatever I had ordered the minute the waiter would put it in front of me and ask right away,"Mom, are you going to eat all of that?"

Gin

Oh Laurie - I wish I could eat like that! Like tonight I would LOVE a pizza with ranch sauce and veggies. And doritoes. And wings.
But NOOO. I will get huge overnight! I had to have sloppy turkey joes. Boooo..

I sure wish I had that metabolism though! Haha!

Clarissa :)

I have three teenage boys and they are always, always hungry. They come home from school and eat for 30 minutes straight and are still starving for dinner 90 minutes later. It seems like no matter how much food I make for meals, it's never enough. Sometimes, I'll eat with them just for fun and I always end up with a stomach ache. :p

Erica

Yes, boys definitely have an enormous appetite. I have 7 boys and let me tell you, nothing stays left alone. I only have 5 boys and 1 girl at home - after school, they eat for a half an hour - then 30 minutes later they are eating dinner, then at least four snacks before bedtime.

The funny thing is, I have a few who will sit down and eat a whole box of cereal with milk, then turn around 30 minutes later and eat dinner. They are bottomless pits.

My husband eats alot, too. Often times, he tries to keep some of his leftovers in the fridge - but they always get found and eaten by one of the boys.

Fast food is really expensive. We have four boys who play in hockey leagues, so we do an average of 10 - 12 games on a weekend. It costs about $40 for lunch - then we get to the rink and they want pizza or hotdogs or chips and cheese. Oh yeah, I have one who can eat 2 quarter pounders a large fry and a large milkshake!

I can't even drink a large milkshake without any food. A small one fills me up.

Cheryl

I had three boys in the span of four years...'85, '88, '89. There was a time that we had to buy groceries every other day. They are all away at college now, but when they come home our grocery bill triples!!!

Thanks for sharing ladies, these hungry boys really amuse me:) I guess the trade off is that what I've saved in groceries I've spent on girly bits like barrettes, hair product and feminine hygeine products (TTOM gets very expensive around here!:eek: )

Take Care
Laurie:)

Laurie, I feel for ya, GF! Your post really makes me smile.

We have two active, athletic sons, now 18 and almost 21, so I'm an ollllllllllld hand at feeding them and their TRULY bottomless pals. :7 We've hosted many a team party or impromptu guys' sleepover. I had good advice from "guy moms" along the way, and figured out a system that kept them happy and also usually kept them away from the food in our house that WASN'T intended for them. Here's how we managed (you were closer to the truth than you might have known!):

**Costco, Costco, Costco...and did I mention Costco? ;-) This kept the budget a bit more manageable.

**A second fridge in the laundry room that was "officially" theirs, and always stocked with water and drinks.

**A cabinet in the laundry room that was "officially" theirs (they called it the "snack pantry") which I kept stocked with "their" snacks -- popcorn, pretzels, anything Costco sold in bulk...

**When we did team parties and guys' get-togethers, I doubled the amount of burgers, dogs, pizza, etc. that I would have purchased for the same number of girls. In my sons' group of pals, also, there were always (at every age) one or two friends who were legendarily giant eaters. So if I knew that, say, Spencer was coming over, I bought even more food. (The absolutely adorable Spencer of whom I speak once ate 29 slices of pizza when the guys went to an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet. ;-) Thank goodness it wasn't at my house!) We rarely had a crumb leftover!

Enjoy your DDs' boyfriends and boy friends -- I adored having teen-age boys around (still do) and find them to be fantastic and fascinating creatures!!!!! :D :D

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.