Miz Donna, did you see Oprah on Wednesday?

honeybunch1

Cathlete
This is the show you should have been on. She had several women on who topped 300 lbs., and interviewed them about what it's like to be that large.

She also had on Nancy Wilson's daughter (for you youngen's, she was a very popular singer several decades ago) who went from over 400 lbs. to 155 in just over a year. She did it the hard way, just like you.

Her "a-hah!" moment was when she felt she was going to die, just like you, right? That was your verdict from your doc, and you believed him.

It IS very hard for those of us who have had to deal with only minor weight problems to relate, but we must understand that they are dealing with a problem not unlike drug addicts and alcoholics.

It was a great show!

SOMEDAY, YOU'LL BE ON THAT SHOW, TOO! You deserve to brag on a national forum, IM(humble)O.

Just Do It! :)

No, I missed that show. And I agree that it is probably hard for most people who have never had a "severe" weight problem to truly understand how it feels to walk around with such an extreme amount of weight.
And the hardest part is that you have to still live with food daily. It's always a part of your life and it's almost sadistic when you think that the one thing you could not control to the point your weight got so out of control is the one thing you now MUST control in order to lose and keep the weight off!

And society can still be so cruel to people, which really doesn't make it any easier. Maybe shows like that will help others not only understand, but reach out.

Donna
Fitness~It's a journey, not a race!

Nancy Wilson's daughter - isn't that Carnie Wilson (I could have the name wrong) from the group Wilson Phillips. Anyone who grew up in the 80's probably knows who they are especially us in our 20's. If so I heard news reports that she had gastric bypass surgery or partial stomach removal, I can't remember which, done I guess 1 or 1 1/2 years ago instead of putting in the hard work like Donna has done as well as many others.

Correct me if she is not the same person you were speaking of.

Carnie Wilson is the daughter of Mama Cass I believe, from the Mamas and the Papas. I didn't see the show, but I would guess that Nancy Wilson's daughter would be a woman of color, because Nancy Wilson is the black jazz singer. Am I right about this?? I read, too, that Carnie Wilson had gastric bypass--I think it was in People magazine.

Just chiming in....Carnie is the daughter of Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys fame.
Last I heard about Carnie was, she has gained some of her weight back. :-(

Wanda

Yes, and I think the other singer being referred to is Anne Wilson from the group Heart, who has also lost a tremendous amount of weight recently.

hi linda

You are right. there were too many wilsons on that show. Carnie Wilson is from the group Wilson Phillips and she did have gastric bypass surgery. The other Wilson (the woman of color and daughter to jazz singer) also lost over 300 pounds, but she did it the hard way.....the healthy way. That show was a repeat, i have seen it twice. It helped me to understand that food can be a terrible addiction to some people.

Kim

Hey guys!

I too saw that episode of Oprah. I agree, Carol,that those gals had a problem with food a kin to that a drug addict or alcoholic has. Having lost 65lb. myself I undersatnd the hold food can have on you. I still do not understand if it is a psychological or a physiological.Unlike other drugs though, we NEED food to live. It's like, how do you take just enough heroin to be healthy! It seems that some people can simply implement healthy changes into their lives and BAM! Everything is better, weight comes off, they become fit and in control. Others, myself included, seem to struggle with certain food issues forever. I mean, for me it is an EVERYDAY kind of thing. I find that I often test myself in certain areas of food and fitness so that I can "relax" myslef over certain issues. For example: Soon after I had lost all my weight (about 6 months after) we took a family vacation that would last 2 1/2 weeks. My husband's family are all fit and very good cooks. They will enjoy an active day and simply eat anything they want in moderation, wine, rich food, sweets you name it. Well, needless to say this kind of vacation struck fear in my heart! How could I fully enjoy myself without joining them? Could I just do as they do and not gain weight? That is EXACTLY what I did...I was active, ate well and in moderation, left my running shoes at home, my weights at home. Came home and did not gain more that a pound and a half! This was BIG for me. I had to trust my body. I had to trust myslef. I had worked for a year to develope these new habits in food and fitness and I needed to trust that my body could handle the deviation.

Now, ask how I was emotionally...wihtout my runs? That was hard. I am a self professed endorphin junkie and struggled with the lack of cardio. But, I got through it.

I don't know, I just sat and watched the women on that Oprah show and found myself feeling for them...what a road ahead they have. I mean, when people ask how I did it, I don't often know how to answer. It is such a personal journey. It has to be. What will work for some may not work for others. The important thing I think is NOT TO GIVE UP, to educate yourself, and share. Bottom line.

Debbie Dailey

ps I agree Donna, you would be such a powerful model on a show like that...so human, and super human, sensible and real. Just the kind of person I needed to know during my weight loss journey. But, hey, I know you know and that is just as good!

Thanks for the correction. I guess the Phillips part of the duo is the daughter of Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.