Migraines

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi everyone..
I just found an article on WebMD "Arthritis Drug May Help Migraines" by Jeanie Davis. It talks about using Vioxx (an anti-inflammotory drug and rizatriptan - (Maxalt)together as a help to lower the frequency of getting Migraines. It is also supposed to get rid of the headache faster. Some therapies are using Prednisone or another corticosteroid going along with this new thought. SO...I was wondering if any of you have Migraines and if you have tried this "new treatment" with any results?
I ask, because I am on a Migraine tour which has lasted 2 weeks now.:-( I've been taking my Imitrex everyday @$17 A PILL!! It helps with the pain... but I would much rather buy Cathe videos for my friends (as I have them all) or do something else with the money..like a new fitness room.:)

I find that when I get a cold or virus or when the weather changes, it will trigger my Migraines. My neurologist said years ago, that my brain has an ON switch when I get my headaches and it gets stuck. The headache will just have to wear itself out..which can last for months at a time. I also have mild lupus. So far, it has been settled in my knees. Heaven forbid, I hope it hasn't entered my brain. :-(. This treatment is also the new thing for lupians too. That is why I am most interested about this new therapy and if anyone has had any success. I like to get as much info as I can before I schedule a chat with my doctor. :)
Thank you so much in advance for any experiences and your input.

With you in fitness,
Wanda

Wanda:
I really don't have any answers for you pertaining to your migraines. I just wanted you to know that I know exactly how you feel (the frustration, etc.) of having a chronic illness and having to deal with it.

During the past month or so, I have been found to have Crohn's Disease (my mom has it also) and have found that if my workouts are too intense, it can bring about an exacerbation (sp?) of my symptoms (diarrhea, low grade fever). It is soooo frustating for me right now as I can't really work out to my utmost capacity until this flareup subsides. (and since I just got my new Cathe DVDs, it is REALLY frustrating!!!)

So, again, while I can't help you out with your migraines, I do want you to know that I empathize with you and what you're going through...I truly hope you find whatever information is necessary for your troubles and wish you all the best.

Terri

I have not heard of this new treatment for migraines. I have taken Imitrex also but boy it really is expensive. The Imitrex nasal spray works even better. I would be interested if anyone has tried this treatment. Migraines are soooooo disabling and can really make you feel so bad. Sometimes I take Lortab and Phenergan when they are really bad but that knocks me out so I can only do that if I'm going to be home and someone is taking care of my son. I can have them for days and feel like screaming but of course that would just make it worse.

Anyway, I hope someone can help you with more useful information than my post! :)

Kelly

Taking magnesium (250-500 mg) every day helps many to prevent migraines. Also, watch out for allergy-provoking things, whatever they may be for you. A friend of mine suffers from almost daily migraines and he has been helped by magnesium and also by very spicy food to stop the headache. There is some evidence that capsaicin, the stuff that makes jalapenos and other peppers hot, helps control pain. He sometimes runs to the refrigerator and just chews up a jalapeno or nibbles on a habanero pepper! OMG! The headache must be worse than the pain of eating that pepper I guess. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you Kelly, Mogambo and Terri for your encouragement.
I went to Urgent Care and the Doc gave me some prednisone. He too says to new approach to Migraines is by using a prednisone type medicine. In theory, the trigger to the headache is coming from another source; even a virus as in my case this time.The nerve endings become inflammed. With me, as said earlier, the on switch is malfunctioning. So the prednisone is supposed to get rid of the the inflammation. Vioxx is another med. they are using but is more expensive.
I will schedule an appointment with my neurologist and be a guinne pig and try this therapy out, after this round of prednisone runs out.
If you're interested, I will post the results of my 'adventure into the unknown'. :)

Mogambo, did your boyfriend have to build up this hot pepper therapy in his system before he could get relief from the Migraine. I tried the jalapeno before and only got a fried tongue. :)

Kelly, you mentioned Lortab and Phenergan, are these treatments in the "triptan" class of relievers? How long does it take for you to get relief? My heart goes out to you with your little ones when you have an attack. I don't have children but I know the feeling of needing to have it dark, quiet and having the uncontrolled necessity of going to sleep. I also feel guilty of leaving my husband to fend for himself. But with kids.....I'm so sorry you have pain.
Perhaps we will find something to help these terrible headaches??? Hope= the assured expectation of things, though not yet seen beheld will come.

Terri, we have something in common as well. My understanding is that Crohns is also an auto-immune disease that makes too many white blood cells? If so, Lupus does this too. You'd think this would help halt infections but it does the reverse. Weird! BTW I found out the HARD way that Lupians can't take estrogen....don't know if that applies to all that has too many white cells. I bet you really have to watch what you eat? I empathize with your pain as well.

Thank goodness for Cathe!!! When we can exercise, we can forget about the bad old pain..:)

Thanks for your input.
Wanda

My boyfriend liked hot peppers anyway, so it was no trouble for him. And a warning, I think prednisone destroys muscle mass. BUt I could be wrong, please check into this.

I was on prednisone for migraines about 5 years ago. I gained 20 pounds in 3 months, and could not get my heart rate up to a training level when working out. I just felt like I was dragging all the time. I would rather have the migraines. I do have good luck with nasal imitrex. My mother stopped having them after 40, and I turned 40 in August. I am hoping things will get better!

Dorothy

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-01 AT 01:21AM (Est)[/font][p]I have migraines, and from time to time, they take on a "cluster headache" pattern. I took the Prednisone taper once when I'd had a migraine daily for at least two weeks, and it did break the cycle. I don't like taking Prednisone, and I really felt horrible during the days when you're taking the higher doses (my heart felt like it was going to leap through my chest wall). I didn't have a single headache for over a month afterward. This is the only time I've used Prednisone for migraines (I had used the taper once before for a severe case of poison ivy.) I would only use it in a crisis situation (that's just my personal decision).

Do discuss the Maxalt/Vioxx combo very carefully with your MD. There was a recent news release regarding Vioxx and the fact that it has been linked to some cardiovascular complications in patients who were taking it for arthritis treatment (heart attack, stroke).

I've tried Imitrex injections and nasal spray. I didn't find that I got consistent relief from the nasal spray, and the injections made me feel very strange (although they did knock out the migraine). I've been taking Maxalt for over a year, and while I do occasionally need to repeat a dose, I'm much happier with this medication.

The Lortabs mentioned previously are an analgesic (pain killer). Phenergan is actually an anti-emetic (taken for nausea). It typically knocks you out, and lets you "sleep off" the migraine. That was the first medication that I ever used for migraines.

It does make a huge difference to find a supportive MD who is willing to help you experiment until you find the treatment regimen that is best for you. My MD has been supportive of my attempts to decrease the frequency of my migraines by utilizing supplements such as calcium, magnesium and feverfew. I've also considered acupuncture, but my headaches have seemed to decrease in frequency this year, so I'm in a "wait and see" mode.

Best of luck!

Another thing, Lithium carbonate, the drug used for manic depression, is excellent for headache prevention in some people. It has few side effects, and I actually think you take it in a lower dose than you would for psychiatric problems. My friend uses Imitrex tablets. He chews one up when he feels whatever signals mean a headache is coming. And he uses an oxygen-generating machine to prevent cluster headaches. This device, which he rents, has a little mask he puts on, he lies down and the machine makes oxygen from a container of water. It is really effective, and of course, has no side effects. It's actually good for him.

I know the Vioxx raises blood pressure so that is probably why it is linked to heart complications. My mother was taking it for her arthritis in her hip and her blood pressure shot through the roof and so she had to stop it. Sometimes the treatments we take for the pain have so many side effects you wonder if it is worth it. When I have a SEVERE migraine it is definitely worth it because I have just wanted to die to get away from the pain. I tried Zomig a time or two but it made me feel funny and the Imitrex does to a degree but not as much as the Zomig. I try to catch it early with something like Exedrine Migraine and it works if I don't let it go too far. I hate taking any kind of medication so I usually wait until it is full blown and Exedrine just won't cover it at that point. When I was pregnant I had severe migraines and could not take anything but Tylenol..well that was like taking a sugar pill so I took nothing for 3 months and then the doctor gave me the Lortab and Phenergan. A lot of the time when I have a migraine I throw up so that's the reason I got the Phenergan. Anyway, probably more than you care to know. There are a lot of options out there and discussing them with your doctor along with your own research will surely help you make the best decision for yourself.

Let us know results if you do become a guinea pig!!!

Kelly

Wanda - I am curious if you would be taking the prednisone for long periods of time as part of the migraine treatment? If so, you should be aware that the prednisone side effects can be really bad. I was on it for six months for my ulcerative colitis. They started me at 40 mgs in August 2000. It nipped my flare up almost immediately but it took me 6 months to taper down from the 40 mgs. My face puffed up alot. I had a double chin and chipmunk cheeks. I gained 20 pounds during that time period. Most of the weight gain was in my torso and abdominal area. I went from a size 12 to a 16 in a very short time period and I am still trying to lose some of the weight I gained 6 months after getting off the medicine. I also got bad stretch marks around my waist, on my upper thighs, and under my arms. These were much worse than any I got when I was pregnant. At the higher dosages I had hot flashes, dizzy spells and insomnia. When I was tapering and down to 10 mgs and under, I was exhausted, my joints hurt and I just didn't feel very well. Prednisone can also as my dr put it "rot your bones". It can cause your bone tissue to die and increases your risk of osteoporsis. It can also cause cataracts, high blood pressure and diabetes. The pred also affected my moods. I was definitely less patient and easily irritated. It can trigger a psychotic episode in some people, although I think this is rare.
Bottom line is that I have told my dr that I will not take prednisone again unless I am extremely ill and have no other choice.

Terri - I'm sorry to hear that you have Crohn's Disease. I remember when you posted about your colonoscopy. Have you had a remicade infusion? My dr has given me Remicade twice now as an alternative to the prednisone and so far it has been great. After the first infusion, I had almost immediate relief of my symptoms. I just had my second infusion Friday. My dr says that there do not appear to be any long term side effects and that most of the side effects are related the infusion itself which is why I had to go to the short stay unit at the hospital for the infusion. Remicade is not FDA approved for ulcerative colitis but it is approved for Crohn's. The manufacturer has a website with some pretty good info about the medication and Crohn's disease. If you are interested their site is at www.remicade.com.

There is a checkin on the Firm forum for people dealing with chronic pain/illness that I have found very helpful. We are always happy to see new folks. :)

Christina: Which checkin on the Firm forum is the one you're talking about? Though I'd have absolutely NOTHING to post for now, I'd be interested in checking it out...

Thanks..

Terri

Hi Christina,
The article I read was saying to use this therapy long term. A quote from associate director of the Diamond Head Clinic said: "After taking the drug combination (Vioxx and Maxalt) for 12 weeks, 31 migraine patients experienced an average of 2.3 attacks per month, compared with 6.4 attacks before the study was started." "A third study from the University of South Florida College of Medicine suggests that Vioxx alone may help prevent migraines......"

That is why I was asking you guys. I just knew you would be able to help me come to some conclusions. :) I truly appreciate all your input. My husband has to go on the tapered prednisone when his lungs gets inflammed. Talk about mood swings!!! And..Just after 3 days, his thumb will come out of joint. He says it is very painful trying to work it back in....
So I was already squimish about using this type of drug for long term.

I can identify with your weight gain. Been there!!! Estrogen did a whammy on me. Lupians are allergic to it. Paxil did a number on me as well, plus the added bonus of making my hair fall out by the handfuls.. And yes, me too, the weight was right on the torso, abdomin area. GRRRR. The damage is almost all gone now, but WOWZERS, it sure takes a long long time to get it out of your system. No fair!! No fair!!!

You and Cyana mentioned the high blood caution with this therapy. Although my pressure has been way low, I always thought I wouldn't be a risk for heart attack. My Dad's is low and he had two major attacks, one being just 3 weeks ago.He had to have two Stent procedures because he was too old for a triple by-pass.

So again, I am grateful to you and all who responded. Now I can make a decision based on reliable information and experiences. I agree with you all, to take Predisone or like medicines, only in extreme flare-ups. My migraines are chronic so I'll just deal with them on a one on one basis. Cathe's workouts have make an amazing difference in my overall stamina, and my husband can't get over the muscle definition in my arms and legs. This is just a short time, (April). I don't want ANYTHING to take that away from me, especially something that could be so devastating in the long run.

And Much Thanks again, Cyana, Mogambo, Dorothy, Kelly and Terri for you advise and suggestions. I will put them to good use.

Yours in fitness,
Wanda

Hi Terri,

It's the Chronic Pain/Illness Checkin. Most of us post even when we are having bad periods and not exercising much. Since everyone on there suffers from some type of chronic health problem, they understand and commiserate when you post stuff like "I felt horrible all week and didn't exercise at all" and they cheer you on when you have a good week. I am the only one who posts there with IBD right now. However, there are several people with Rheumatoid Arthritis and there is a lot of medication overlap etc. I get a lot of useful ideas about how to manage my stress levels which definitely affects how I feel. I used to post on the checkin here and stopped because I was embarassed when I had to post checkins that were really wimpy compared to the others here. Everyone here was very nice and no one made me feel bad. It was just my own discomfort and competitive nature. Posting on the checkin with others who have chronic illnesses alleviated a lot of that discomfort for me.

If you see Gretchen around the forum, you might want to post to her or email her. She has Crohn's disease and works at a camp for children with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis.

Another source of information that I found helpful was IBDsucks.com. The message boards there are somewhat difficult to read but I found a lot of useful information about potential side effects of medications and what to expect with different medical procedures.

Hope this helps. I know for me it was hard to come to terms with the fact that I have a chronic condition with no known cause or cure. For years, I would try to avoid telling people that I had ulcerative colitis because I just wanted to be normal and found some of my symptoms to be embarassing. I have gotten over that in the last couple of years.

Hi Kristina!

Just wanted to say that we all welcome your check-in posts at any time. (No matter how wimpy you think they are) Anyone who works out ,ESPECIALLY with a chronic condition, is a HERO in my book. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting informative info for others that can relate to you!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Ooops!

Hey Debbie!

Thanks for the reminder that everybody is welcome to checkin with you guys. Everyone on the checkin was really nice to me when I was checking in (especially you! :)) My discomfort checking in had more to do with how I felt about not being able to do the kinds of workouts everyone else was doing. I just found myself trying to push myself too much. I may be back after I get my fitness level back up!

Hi again everyone,
Do any of you buy into the TMJ theory for a cause of migraines?
If so, do you know anyone that by using a splint and or braces, that it worked for them in relieving the headaches?
Reason I ask, I just chipped a back tooth..the dentist put a filling in it today and said my jaws are badly out of line; which he says is typical of Scottish and English ancestry. ????He says it is putting pressure on the nerves and cutting off blood flow, which is causing my headaches. He says the new treatment is spints and or braces perhaps with some orthodonic work instead of surgery like they used to do. ??????

Would really love to hear your thoughts.
With you in fitness,
Wanda

Terri, I was thinking about you this morning while doing a Cathe workout. I hope your flair up is better. I've been reading a few things about Crohns. When Deb was talking about people with chronic illnesses excerizing was a hero in her book....you win my admiration too. Keep going....at YOUR pace. I think all of us with chronic pain and illnesses, tend to push too hard during the good times.. and get really down when those terrible flairs come :-( In your battles that you have to confront, by reading a few of your posts, I'll put my wagers on YOU as coming out the winner. :)

Isn't it great to have all this on line support? I wish it had been available when the Doctor told me I had lupus years ago. He was so kind and gentle :-( when he told me the life expectancy was 7 years. GRRR.

With you in fitness
Wanda

Oh, Wanda, your post made me cry! What a sweetheart you are....

And here I was just sitting here feeling sorry for myself that I still feel so sh*** and have to go to my gastro doc tomorrow, and I'm petrified he's going to want to do another colonoscopy, and my fever is still here (though low grade)...I'm just so tired of being sick (I'm sure you can well understand...)

Anyway, I hadn't even come to the Cathe forum in a few days, feeling like I really had nothing to offer since I've been feeling so lousy and I was just feeling jealous anyway of everyone's workouts...and then I came to your post directed to me......and it just stopped me in my tracks.

Thank you so very much for thinking of me and for your kind thoughtful words.

You know, there are a few wonderful human beings roaming around this earth who truly understand and know what is really important in life....and I do believe you're one of them!

Tearful hugs,

Terri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.