magazine subscribers?

dhcsim

Cathlete
I want to start a subscription. It will be considered a treat to myself.:) I have no idea of which one to get. I know that there are many fitness/health ones related to men AND women. I want one that is geared toward women. I am not interested in fashion unless it is w/out related. What do you subscribe to? What have you subscribed to and didn't like about it? Thanks for your input. :)

This is a hard one for me. I take so many dang magazines because there is something in all of them I like...but would prefer it to all be rolled into one.

I take Fitness and Oxygen. I will also pick up other fitness magazines at the stores if they have something in them I want...like Shape, M&F Hers, Women's Health...etc. etc.

I used to subscribe to Shape up until a few years ago...it just got to be too much fluff and not enough fitness related stuff. And their 'fitness models' were anorexic 13 year old girls. I mean, that magazine really went to the dogs for awhile but I think they were trying to get more of the younger women to buy it, teenager's. They also were going way overboard with the advertising, you had one page of real fitness stuff for every 5 pages of ads. I did recently actually buy a copy of Shape because I liked a couple of things that were in it and now that I've had the time to look the whole issue over, I am reconsidering subscribing again...providing the next issue is like this last one.

I do wish fitness magazines would not put girls in bikini's on the cover. That's just a feminist issue with me. It screams..."We Can't Sell This Magazine Unless We Show Alot Of Skin" and the thing is...most of the people buying Fitness, Oxygen, Shape, and M&F Hers are women! The girl in the bikini is geared towards the male shopper, not the female. It just tells me that the editor's feel their women readers are not as important as getting more men to buy the magazine to oogle over the cover model. But that's just mho.

And of course as I get older, the beauty articles are of much less importance. I want more/current information on health issues besides fitness.

So there you are, my non-answer to your question!

Here is a link for a some cheap magazines. http://xp3.mybonuscenter.com/ixp/splash.tmpl?afk=03257897

I got Fitness, Yoga Journal, Time, Car and Driver, and I hate to say it but, Star. LOL!
They are $2 bucks a piece for a subscription.

I ordered these a few weeks ago, and have already recieved 3 Time and 1 Fitness magazine.

But, if you want a other fitness magazines at full price, I like Oxygen and Muscle fitness RX.

The only current subscriptions that I have that I am going to continue are Women's Health and VegNews. I also pick up Muscle and Fitness Hers when it comes out (no subscription available).

Everything else seems very repetitive after a while. I currently get Fitness, but I'm letting that subscription slide. If I see a particularly intersting issue on the newsstands, I'll pick it up.

I think Fitness is good and it is cheap, only $12 a year. I cancelled Shape and Seld, I don't really like them.

I have a subscription to Fitness, only because I got it for a good price. I don't really love it. Why are all the models in those magazines 6 ft tall and super thin? We are not all like that! I like Oxygen and M&F Hers, altough they are pretty hard core. I do not like shape, and agree that it is geared toward very young, thin women. I saw this month's issue with Eva Longria on the cover...why her? She is like a size 00. Unfortunately, it just feeds into my "I'll never look good enough" insecurities......I would go with Oxygen for the best exercise and nutrition advice, with very little fashion.

I have subscribed to Looking Good. It is really full of good articles on nutrition and fitness. Also has stories of "real women" who have lost weight the right way and kept it off and how they did it. I really enjoy this magazine.

I subscribe to Fitness, Shape, Prevention and Women's Health. I find myself skipping over articles I'm not interested in. I guess I don't let the models bother me because I know I will never look like that. Every now and then, they will have a recipe that I like. I'm thinking about giving Runner's World a shot too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.