Maca

pixiesis

Cathlete
Hi all,

I recently finished reading Thrive by Brendan Brazier and I'm wanting to try some of his suggestions. I've found some whole food supplements containing chlorella (and lots of other green stuff), and I started adding hemp protein to my smoothies (it's really yummy). So, I'm planning to try maca too, but I wanted to know if any of you could share your experiences with it. I know Kathryn has been using it for long enough to let us know what she thinks (ahem :p ). TIA

Amy

To be a bit more specific, I'd like to know how you use it and how it tastes. Do you add it to your smoothie or something? Also, have you noticed that it does anything for you? Has it improved your energy, helped you lose weight, etc? Thanks!

Amy

I use Vega meal replacement in smoothies quite often, and it contains maca. I also bought some maca from www.rawfood.com that I throw in other smoothies. It tastes very mild, somewhat caramelly (but just a very slight flavor, so don't get too excited!). The flavor pretty much is masked by whatever you add with it.

I don't use it regularly enough lately to notice any differences, but this reminds me that I should get back into it (since it is supposed to be good for menopause and hormonal balance).

Thanks for your reply Kathryn. I wanted to try Vega but my local co-op doesn't carry it. They had some similar products (on sale) and I was impatient, so I decided to get them. The only thing that I'm lacking is the maca, and I think I'll just buy some online (I'll check out the web site you used-thanks).

I'm curious because everything I'm reading concerning maca makes it sound so amazing, and I'm wondering if it could be true. I'm really getting into the idea of whole food supplements-Thrive really makes a good case for them. And I have noticed that I feel like I've been recovering faster, with less DOMS, since I started using whole food supplements.

Anyway, if you have any new info to post about maca's effect on hormonal balance, please do!

Amy

I've used it, I'd agree with the slight caramel/malt flavor but anything else you put in the smoothie will cover it up. As for it doing anything? Nope. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I went through a whole bag and nuttin'

Nan

I tried Maca root for a while - not in smoothies. It's an adaptagen so you have to take it and then stop for a period e.g. 3 weeks on 1 week off. I don't remember for how long you can take it but you can look into that. When I first started taking it - my energy levels increased markedly right away. I was using it for hormone help but eventually moved onto bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. That's all I remember about it.

I've used Maca in my green smoothie and you can't taste it in there. I don't really like the taste but it's mild enough that you can't taste it in smoothies which is great. I found that it did balance out my hormones a bit. But I also noticed that when I wanted to lose my 5-8 pounds that I fluctuate on I couldn't when using Maca. I found that I'm SUPER resistant to losing any weight whatsoever when using Maca. I do NOT like that side effect at all! Though I do like the others. Lol! So you might want to pay attention to that when using it. I feel it has a tendency to want to round you out in those womanly places. Lol!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.