Lower heart rate with kickboxing

CDPotier

Cathlete
I wear a heart rate monitor, and I notice that my heart rate does not go high unless I am doing the drills. Does this happen to anybody else, or is it just my problem? I would love to hear your opinions.

Yes, unless I'm doing a move that involves jumping during kickboxing my heart rate isn't as high as other workouts. If I'm just standing there punching (even punching hard) it drops way down.

Barbara

I forgot to mention that adding weighted gloves helps a lot too. I only use 1 lb. because I'm afraid to pull something!:p

I have experienced that as well. The most I would see is 150 bpm while doing the jumping jacks.

What I would like is an adaptable workout that is a combination of kick box style drills and hi/lo. It would be great to program the workout to be anywhere from 20 min. (as an add on) to 60 min. for us cardio junkies.

Same here...but just think of it as the benefit from doing all of those very difficult workouts that Cathe makes for us. Because we're in such great shape, these workouts don't really amount to being strenuous. Have you tried Kick Punch Crunch? That is a great kickbox focused workout that has a lot of jump kicks and squats into kicks, and other moves that get the heart rate up to a nice range. The first part has a good segment of high intensity moves that certainly are not kick box related (high knees, hammer punches), but it segues into a kickbox workout that gets my heart rate up more than the STS MMA series.

Eva

Sunday I did the Kick Max timesaver: Bootcamp Kickbox. It does the 10 drills first and then 3 of the 4 kickbox combos. It was a nice way to do this dvd because the drills really got my heart rate up and I found I could do them better-plie jacks especially! I also love the warm up of that program and did it after the kickbox drills for the cooldown before stretching. I didn't wear a heart rate monitor, but I was good and sweaty the whole time starting with the drills!

Beth

I wear one pound weighted gloves

My heart rate does not go up unless I am doing high impact drills or jumping jacks. I am about to do MMA Kickbox now, and I will see what happens. Thank you for your responses.

I don't have anything to add but wanted to mention Susan Chung's Rapidfire workouts. They are great kickboxing dvds that are fun and get you huffing and puffing. She is the only one that I enjoy since my standards are set high from KPC and KM. Just wanted to pass this along in case you all are looking for a new kickbox dvd

I was not even in my range

I was not even in my range unless I was doing the drills and jumping. I do rather well with the kicks, and they do not put my heart rate up. However, MMA Boxing is easier that MMA Kickbox..

Last edited:
anyone else do self defense?

Just thought I would add this to the kickboxing forum, didnt really see any other place for it :)

does anyone else also train self defense as part of their fitness/health program? I used to do cardio kickboxing and I ended up going to a self defense seminar and one of the guys told me that it developed poor habits as far as actual self defense goes. He told me to join a class or at least find a video. I opted for the video, due to the fact I have never done it before. Thought I would "try" it out first. Does anyone else do something similar?

bpurcell said:
I forgot to mention that adding weighted gloves helps a lot too. I only use 1 lb. because I'm afraid to pull something!:p

I agree! I use 1.5lb weighted gloves & definitely helps to raise the HR but also helps to tone your arms:)

I did the much harder MMA Boxing today

I noticed that my heart rate was much higher with it as it had so much jumping in it. After, I had to ice my knee and my foot, but I am fine now. I had a late start as I received a new computer today, and it took me hours to set it up and install all the programs I needed. I did not even get to do my upper body today, but I guess wearing one pound weighted gloves with the arm work toned my arms.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.