low cal. bread ?

SarahM

Cathlete
Hi,

Is there a bread that has less than 100 cal per slice and is healthy, whole wheat grain? I know there is Ezkiel bread, I think it has 70 cal. per slice, any other ones?

I am addicted to peanut butter and honey toasts in the morning, I end up eating my serving and DD serving because she doesn't eat it, it is hard to resist!! and sometimes I treat myself to another toast in the afternoon. I decided to eliminate the afternoon one and try to find a bread that has less calories as I am trying to lose 10 pounds.

Nature's Own has a pretty tasty double fiber bread that's about 40 cal per slice. I know that there are lots of other brands, you just have to look at the label.

I eat my peanut butter spread on a tortilla (whole wheat/high fiber/low cal). I microwave the pb/tortilla for a few seconds and roll up...YUMMM! The tortillas are about 70 calories. The brand is Buena Vida. I use them as roll-ups for my sandwiches, too.

Thanks for posting this...I like the other recommendations for bread. I will be checking them out too!!
Jenn

Aren't they delicious?!! I can't believe that I just found them recently!

I also found a low carb/whole wheat/high fiber pita bread. The brand is Joseph's. They are only 60 calories for the WHOLE pita!! They taste just like a regular pita with less than half the calories. I slice up chicken breast and put it inside one of these for dinner or lunch (with veggies and sometimes PB...with the chicken).

I love replacing a few calories here and there to help make a difference!
Jenn

>I am addicted to peanut butter and honey toasts in the
>morning, I end up eating my serving and DD serving because she
>doesn't eat it, it is hard to resist!! and sometimes I treat
>myself to another toast in the afternoon. I decided to
>eliminate the afternoon one and try to find a bread that has
>less calories as I am trying to lose 10 pounds.
>

You might want to find a sub for PB as well as a lower-calorie bread. PB is about 70% of calories from fat, and reducing your serving to 1/2 of what you usually eat would help reduce your daily calorie intake.

I love Joseph's pita bread!! They used to sell it at Super Wal*mart but they don't anymore! ;( I like the Flatout Flatbreads to make pizzas out of, yummy high fiber crust!

Have you tried Naturally More Peanut Butter??? Oh, it's delicious & only 11g of fat instead of the usual 16g for most PB.

Would you consider baking your own?

I have a fat free baguette recipe for the bread machine, you'd have to hand form the loaf.

Thank for your recommendations, I will try Nature's own bread and I would love to have that french baguette recipe.

Thanks again

Hi-

Here's what I buy that might work for you too:

If your grocery store carries Aunt Millie brand bakery products, they have "light" bread.. Their bread comes in at 35-40 cal/slice ( the cal difference depends on which flavor you buy) and something like 2-3 gms/fiber/slice. Its pretty decent esp. if you are just looking at something to spread your peanut butter on. Not sure where you live and what grocery store chains you have in your area, but this bread is readily available at Meijer if you have those in your area. ( I'm in MI)

Also, I'm in total agreement w/ light tortillas, but some brands are more tasty than others. My favorite is the Santa Fe Tortilla Company Brand. I find them at Sam's Club and they are much less expensive than some of the other brands out there. Their nutritional stats per tortilla ( and they are decent sized): 100 cal/3.5 gm fat/7 gm fiber/8 gm protein.

Take care, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.