Low budget indulgences

story1267

Cathlete
So, sooner than I'm ready for I'm coming up on one of those, ahem, decade birthdays.

And, since I'm the Mom and everyone is busy I'm not expecting any kind of big to-do.

So, I'm treating myself to a little group of goodies. I ordered myself a cd and 2 jars of that BSN Lean Dessert protein that folks have been raving about. I'll make myself a mud pie - Famos Wafer cookie crumbs mixed with an unspeakable quantity of melted butter, ice cream, joy-inducing toppings.

But I need more.

I'd like to hear from folks who are on a tight budget but treat themselves to something lovely now and again.

What's your favorite cheap treat?:p

A good book - paperback, of course. I read them over and over again, so I really get my money's worth.

A truffle from Godiva. I love to stop at the Godiva store with my daughter. We each get our favorite truffle (the pumpkin ones are unbelievable - though they're seasonal) and then go sit on a bench and enjoy them together.

I second the book idea. I also love spa stuff - soaps, soaks, scrubs, etc. I would draw a nice hot bath, toss in some good smelling bath salts, light some candles, and kick back with your protein shake while listening to your new cd and relaxing in your little "spa" retreat... K, I'm going to have to go and buy some Bath and Body works bath gel and bath crystals now.... (Wal-mart has cheaper versions though that smell just as good sometimes and will not break a budget!)

It depends on what you are aiming for? If it's food related, then just some cheat that you love. Are you are "girlie-girl?" Then go to the pharmacy and buy some yummy smelling bubble bath, a new nail polish and some face masque and sesame or olive oil. Then go home, put some nice music on, draw a bath, put the oil in your hair and wrap it up in Saran and a towel. Do a face masque. Then soak in the tub. Next, wash out your now super-conditioned hair, and do yourself a mani/pedi. Indulge in your favorite glass of wine. Relax.

>New underwear. I'm not kidding. Treat yourself to something
>pretty and sexy and not cotton.

Ooooohhhh--I just did that last week! I got three new BEAUTIFUL bras at Victoria's Secret. I never go there--too pricey. I love these new bras now! Soooo comfy and pretty!

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

A visit to the public library to pick up an awesome book followed by a Starbucks visit for tea ($2.00). I know...geeky

This is TMI I know but since I've been losing weight the girls are deflating so I'm really in need of support.

A while back I had bought a VS bra (I don't go there too often either since they are so heart-attackingly expensive) but I love it!

Sets everyone off to their best advantage.

You can never go wrong with pretty undies!

I love these ideas! I should turn 40 more often!:p

The "low budget" qualifier threw me :p . Let's face it, "low budget" and "indulgence" should not be used together in a sentence ;) . I think you've earned a true indulgence so splurge and have a little fun. You only have one birthday a year (unless you're like me and you celebrate for a month :p ) and you have my permission to go crazy }( :7

Sarah, I'm sorry for your bad news. Definitely enjoy your facial.

If I had more $$ I'd schedule a massage. I'm hoping I'll get some $$ for my birthday.

Beavs I do love the library and I'm a Geek through and through.

I also love digging through the piles of bras at the VS sales. Some of them are so festooned with feathers and sequins and other doo-da's they just crack me up!

This is beginning to take on a local flavor. I happen to live close to the library, drug store, coffee shop, liqor store.

I may take myself to the mall to crawl for me only - no XMas shopping allowed. Then go home and roam the neighborhood for books, lovely caffeine beverage, bubble bath producs and pedi products, a little vino......

Now, to find the time!!!

A couple hours without a kid in tow!!! Priceless. :p

Debbie

I don't want to take a pill. Go to Africa, go follow some bushman around. He's being chased by a lion. That's stress. You're not going to find a pygmy on Paxil, I'll tell you that right now.
-Ellen Degeneres

Debbie hit it on the HEAD! I was going to say that exact same thing. I like to call in a favor to a friend of mine and ask for her to take my kids for a few hours. TOTAL HEAVEN!!!!!!

Gayle

Yes, one of the little known benefits of being divorced. Daddy's weekend!

I think I will break up my luxuries and spread things out over as many days as humanly possible.

Beginning Saturday most likely with sushi and art with Dad and the BF and going on until they make me stop!:+

Take a day and do everything YOU love to do. Bring along a book and find a cozy Starbucks and order a cafe' mocha to sip while enjoying a good read. Treat yourself to an afternoon movie or have some girlfriends over for finger food and wine and a chick flick. Or go to the Cheesecake Factory and induldge in a big piece of cheesecake. Or get an arm full of your favorite magazines at Barnes & Noble, take along a notepad to jot down ideas/websites/makeup brand and colors and thumb through the magazines with your favorite coffee drink (make sure you get in a comfy chair in a corner somewhere). I love to look around Ulta...buy yourself a new color of lipstick or nail polish. Happy Birthday!
Angela:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.