Love the Results, Love the Work!

banslug

Cathlete
Good Saturday afternoon! The kids and I are enjoying a quiet (and tired, lazy) Saturday. I'm surfing the net, just checking out my favorite boards and I just read something that really hit home for me. It's from a cyber friend at the Body-For-Life Tracker site, and I've taken the liberty of copying and pasting it here for you all to read. Can you relate to this??? I sure did!

Gayle

copied and pasted post:::
Love the results, but not the work it takes to get there ??

Hey everyone ... I posted this lengthy "Saturday morning sermon" over on my team thread, and have gotten such positive feedback, PLUS it's been so helpful to me, that I wanted to share it here. I had sort of a mental "breakthrough" and I hope these thoughts might help some others ... here goes:

Hello ladies ... I am up early (or super late, depending on your perspective) and thought I'd surprise everyone with a fresh new thread for a the weekend and a brand new month !! Also, I've been doing some thinking today and feel like I had sort of a "breakthrough" and I want to share. Maybe my personal insight about my own struggles will help someone else get a better handle on their own - since so many of us share the same battles with food & temptation, etc; I know now that I am not alone with these issues !! So ... I was pondering the other day, thinking about the various things in my life that I am unsatisfied with. Now don't get me wrong, it's not that I am unsatisfied with my life in general - I was just asking myself about these specific things, the ones that I can't seem to get a handle on ... what's the deal ? What do they have in common ? Why do I succeed with some things and then just forever procrastinate and stumble with others ?? I wanted an answer.

So I found the thing that they all have in common, (and just to help everyone understand - the kinds of things I am talking about are #1, weight loss or the lack thereof, #2 keeping my house and life and car organized, #3 ... following various peronsal hygene routines, like flossing or using my fancy facial products, things that are time consuming or tedious or not all that much fun. Oh ! Here's another great example - putting away folded clothes after they come out of the laundry, instead of leaving them to sit in piles on the laundry room for days and days. Putting away the clean dishes.

Anyway, here's what all these things have in common: I want the RESULTS without having to do the WORK.

Seriously; I want a trim & healthy & awesome body without having to sacrifice all the yummy foods or do the workouts; I want my house spotless and organized and serene without having to actually pick up and clean it and stay on top of clutter; I want perfect beautiful white teeth without having to floss every day; I want an organized and accessible closet full of clothes without having to actually wash, dry, fold AND PUT AWAY all the clothes. You get the idea. I want the end result, but can't seem to make myself trudge through the steps it takes to get there.

I love the results, but I don't want to do the work it takes to get them.

Having crystalized my "condition" into such a short little phrase, I felt like I had already made a huge leap !! I finally could see the THEME running through all these things. I had a "problem statement" but I wanted to spin it into something more positive. Rather than walking around and telling myself what I was doing wrong, I wanted a statement - a mantra, if you will - that would remind me of the problem while also prodding me to SOLVE it, encouraging me to do better. Something short and meaningful that I could carry around in my head and whip out to motivate me !!

So I came up with this:

"LOVE THE RESULTS, LOVE THE WORK"

What it means to me is this: I love the end result, so I should take joy in the time I spend getting myself there. Don't shy away from the work, the hard choices, the need to say "No" to ... oh, maybe cake, shall we say ?? Instead of dreading my workouts or laundry or mopping the floor, focus on the fabulous consequences of your actions and enjoy the process (I was going to say "enjoy the results, enjoy the process" but to me, "process" sounds more passive, like a chemical process that kind of goes on its own once its kicked into action, and I like the idea of "work" better because work is something that's active, takes effort, and produces results that you can take pride in. A process can do that too, but for me, personally, "work" is a more powerful word.)

Anyway, sorry this was so long winded but maybe someone else found it useful as well. I hope your weekends are all off to a GREAT start !!

Love the results, love the work !!

Thanks for sharing this insight.

I am in complete agreement about the the end being a product of the means. I love fitting into my clothes and don't mind the work getting there, just as much as I love having a clean house and really don't mind doing it.

Now for a way to find extra time in my day to do some of the other things I like to do such as visit this boardx(

Very cool. Thanks for sharing this because it is so true. Well its true for me alot of the time.:)

Gayle-

This is right on woman!

I agree with Love Yourself ! BTW this is not too far off of how I interpret Flylady. ( Flylady.org ) And, she reminds us not to be whiners .

This should be on our signature lines!

[font color=lime green][font size +3]Judy "Likes2bfit"

[font color = orange]Love the Results, Love the Work, Love Yourself![font/]

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

http://img109.mytextgraphics.com/myrainbowtext/2008/01/24/c07d67f3a8d2bfed065f377ce1494b6c.gif

Love it. It was right on target for me!

Love the Results. Love the Work!

Sometimes the most simple things are truly the best.

"the kinds of things I am talking about are #1, weight loss or the lack thereof, #2 keeping my house and life and car organized, #3 ... following various peronsal hygene routines, like flossing or using my fancy facial products, things that are time consuming or tedious or not all that much fun. Oh ! Here's another great example - putting away folded clothes after they come out of the laundry, instead of leaving them to sit in piles on the laundry room for days and days. Putting away the clean dishes."

OMGosh,she took the words right out of my mouth! Love it!

From now on I will think of this phrase when its time for me to wash my face at the end of the day(apply those tedious facial products,wash dishes/cloths) I will start enjoying not only the result but the work involved to get there!

I wish I would of read this yesterday...i wasn't a happy camper after my WI on saturday showed no result and the fact that there was chocolate cake in the house on sunday that i couldn't eat x( (and didn't;-))

Thanks for sharing Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.