Losing interest in something you once loved

jloewe

Cathlete
I can't explain it....I used to love sports, would get decked out in the jersey of my favorite team, and plop myself down in front of the tube for hours on end. Not anymore...this past Sunday, I got so incredibly bored with the games that I couldn't keep my eyes open, and it was only 1 pm!!!!

The Phillies are heading for the National League Championship Series, the whole area is decked out in Phillies red..not me...and this coming from someone who you couldn't talk to for days after if my team lost. The only thing I can think of now is how crappy I'm going to feel if I stay awake and watch the whole game..I'd rather watch a few innings, get a good night's sleep, and watch the highlights in the morning.

During Sunday afternoon football, I find myself wanting to hop on the computer and work on my upcoming workout rotation and check the latest happenings on the Cathe Nation.

I honestly don't get it, and I can't blame it on alcohol, I've loved sports since I was waayyyyyy too young to drink anything harder than Hi-C.

I guess I'm changing.I used to want sporting apparel for the holidays, now I want a cathe.com gift card.

Do any of you have experience in losing interest in something you once had a strong passion for?

I used to love gangsta rap in the worst way but it hasn't been the same since it kinda sold out and now Ice Cube and the former Original Gangster Ice T are in the mainstream media and I won't even what I tell you what I think of Flava Flav.

Last edited:
I used to love gangsta rap in the worst way but it hasn't been the same since it kinda sold out and now Ice Cube and the former Original Gangster Ice T are in the mainstream media and I won't even what I tell you what I think of Flava Flav.

C'mon...what about Tab and Dr. Pepper??

I used to love tarantulas. I guess that it isn't really the same thing. My collection was about 30 at one time. I would study and read about them all the time. My collection has dwindled to 10. Honestly I have so many intrests that change so often I don't see this as a bad thing. My husband jokes about how when I get into something, . . .I REALLY get into it. Costume design, sewing, knitting, running, cooking, reading, . . . . .I used to be a total Harry Potter freak.

Jerry - I'm with you on not sitting around watching sports all the time as I have a hard time just sitting - unless, as you can see in my signature line - it is NHL and the Sharks are playing. I only deck out in my jersey when I am actually going to the game.

The way I see you "losing interest" it is a positive thing because I see you switching to something that is healthier, gives you energy and, comon, you spend time with the best of the best (when you are in Cathe land !:p).

Change is good and sometimes we have to condense the time we used to spend doing something in order to invite and keep up with change.

Now me, in order to exercise and "play here", I just do less housework ! :eek:

I have to invite people over to get motivated to clean - so, in all essence, I guess I have lost interest in cleaning ! Just go figure . . .

My DH and I used to be really into an online role-playing game. We used to spend hours playing. Then I got into working out, and he got into working out, and we just kinda forgot about the game. Now we're both in great shape and doing something that will benefit us for the rest of our lives. (Of course I'm also spending a lot of time on the computer schmoozing with you guys, but still...:p)

Interests evolve, your life changes, and it's often for the best. You've made an investment in your health, and if watching sports now takes a back seat to that, so be it.:)

Sunshine: Clean, shmean! (LOL) No one ever looked back on their life and wished that they'd kept their house cleaner, right? More fun to play here!:p (I think I have a sinkful of dishes as we speak, actually...)

Well, I LOVE Ice-T on LASVU. Everybody gets older and changes.

But, Jerry, look at it this way: YOU are the athlete now. Where I work there are tv's everywhere and, because I work from 2pm - 10:30pm and my off days are Tue/Wed now I wind up watching A LOT of football... AT WORK. But when I'm home I don't want to spend an entire day sitting around watching tv so if I were off Sat/Sun I'd probably watch my Buckeyes on Saturday but that is it. Weird that I see more football BECAUSE I'm at work... Anyway, I doubt hardly anyone who's active wants to sit around for too long. You turn to stone. I think it's a change you should be glad to see in yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks!!

Thank you for all the replies, I do notice that after spending an entire day on the couch, I feel like crud the next day...I have to be active in some capacity each day to feel my best. Along with watching the games comes the sports-related grub...buffalo wings, cheesesteaks, pizza, about a gallon of diet coke to wash it all down. It sure tastes great going down, but the combination of lethargy and gluttony make for a lousy day after, and I just hate that feeling, and I need to change it.

The general consensus I received from the replies was that I am more interested in my health than watching games all day, and I believe you are all on to something..the days I feel my best are the days I am active, and eat wisely.

Jerry, I'm really glad you brought this up, because I'm going through the same thing. I used to love to write fiction. Like any spare chance I got, I wrote. I joined a weekly writing group, went to workshops, spent hours planning my stories, and would write every weekend for hours on end. I was so passionate about it I could never imagine not doing it, you know?

Then I had DD and everything changed. At first, it was a sleep depravation/time thing when she was a newborn, but now she's nearly two, and guess what? I don't care about writing. At all.

I find myself thinking about my new Cathe passion (and we just won't talk about how many hours I spend here, LOL), eating right, cooking healthy, nourishing food for my family, going to church, joining a mommy group...These are all new things for me. In short, I want to spend my time nourishing my body, my relationships, my time with DD and DH. These are my new passions, fitness, cooking, being with new friends...and for now, writing has disappeared.

I guess I have evolved into a new person, thanks to DD. And I feel like I'm a much better person for it.

But hey, even if you aren't a passionate fan anymore, you'll still indulge me in football talk, right? LOL!

Jerry, I'm really glad you brought this up, because I'm going through the same thing. I used to love to write fiction. Like any spare chance I got, I wrote. I joined a weekly writing group, went to workshops, spent hours planning my stories, and would write every weekend for hours on end. I was so passionate about it I could never imagine not doing it, you know?

Then I had DD and everything changed. At first, it was a sleep depravation/time thing when she was a newborn, but now she's nearly two, and guess what? I don't care about writing. At all.

I find myself thinking about my new Cathe passion (and we just won't talk about how many hours I spend here, LOL), eating right, cooking healthy, nourishing food for my family, going to church, joining a mommy group...These are all new things for me. In short, I want to spend my time nourishing my body, my relationships, my time with DD and DH. These are my new passions, fitness, cooking, being with new friends...and for now, writing has disappeared.

I guess I have evolved into a new person, thanks to DD. And I feel like I'm a much better person for it.

But hey, even if you aren't a passionate fan anymore, you'll still indulge me in football talk, right? LOL!

Wendy....

Yep...I still enjoy talking about it, it's the actual gluing of the eyeballs to the tube that I have a problem with.

Jerry, what if you listened to the games (or watched them) while working out? DH sometimes listens to baseball games while lifting. Then you could indulge both hobbies at the same time.

I use to love ceramics for years. Had two kilns and fired all kinds of stuff, even made porcelain dolls. I gave it away about 3 or 4 years ago.

We change, I think that's the bottom line.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Jerry, what if you listened to the games (or watched them) while working out? DH sometimes listens to baseball games while lifting. Then you could indulge both hobbies at the same time.

Jodi..

Funny you should mention this..I much prefer listening to baseball than watching it...I always have the game on in my car driving home from work..once I get home, I don't even bother to turn the game on...I'll usually have dinner with DW, watch TV with her, then catch the score on the highlights later.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.