Levitation hold - Pinky or anyone else successful

sophiem

Cathlete
I saw the photo of the levitation hold among Pinky fitness photos. That blows my mind as my body feels like lead when I tried to do it. I was wondering how many others out there have been successful at it and to what do you attribute your success? What did it take to get there? It's not like push-ups where you can do knee style and move up to toe, etc. so I'm curious and would love the input.

Sophie, when I first tried doing the levitation holds, I couldn't do them at all. And when I was finally able to hold my body up, I'd swing on my arms like a monkey. I didn't have any control that helped me stop the swinging. Which made it even worse because I'd laugh at myself so hard, I'd lose the strength in my arms.:p

You know how Cathe says you have to find a hand position that works? Well, I tried Jai's. I actually had to pause the DVD to look at her hand position closely, where her fingers face sideways instead of Cathe's which are facing you. Using Jai's hand position somehow kept my torso from swinging. It made me feel stable and more able to push myself up and keep my body up there with hardly any swinging.

Also, don't worry so much if you can't do the hold. Like Cathe says, attempting the move alone works the core. There have been many threads about the levitation hold, so it might help if you do a search. I remember reading about some ladies who use plates under their hands to help them do the hold. That might be helpful to you as well.

Pinky

I am in total awe of anyone who can do these!

I was thinking the other day, while trying unsuccessfully to do one, that my legs just seem too darn long to bring them up off the ground. I know that's probably just an excuse, but that's how I feel when I'm trying!

Jeanne,

I know what you mean...where do we put all that leg? LOL! I can do them though, but I might not be as tall as you..dunno.

Charlotte~~

I am in awe of you Pinky!!! My legs are fine....it seems to be my a$$ that refuses to leave the floor...:eek: x( ...Carole

The only way that I can do levitation holds successfully is with bare feet and sitting with my legs knotted in full lotus. This may be cheating but I don't care:p :+ :7

Take Care
Laurie:)

I'm with Carole, my rear is firmly planted and refuses to budge so many how hard I try. I use dumbbells to hold onto but still no dice.

Pinky, I admire you especially because I've always been a "skinny" girl like you mentioned in your pics and so, if you can get your body to the point that you're at, it makes me believe that I can too. You're great motivation.

As for the levitation holds, I think I'll try the different hand positions and also using dumbbells to hold. Although I know it's not the end of the world if I don't accomplish it, I enjoy setting goals like that for myself to work toward.

I can only do them on the table at my acupuncturist's office! I'm still holding my entire body weight up, but with legs bent in "chair" postion. I can do it with either my hands around the edge of the table (padded,like some kitchen chairs) or on my knuckles).

I've got short legs, so maybe that's why I've been able to do it. I also use a different hand position. My fingers point out away from my body like Pinky (thumbs pointing to my sides) and I have to lift with just my fingers (palms are off the floor, if that makes sense) cause my arms are short too. If I sit on my rear with my back straight, my palms can't even reach the floor!

Good Luck:)

Kelly

I can do them, but it took me forever to figure out where to put my hands. I think you just have to keep playing around with it until you find a way to put your hands and legs that will get you up off the floor.:)

The only reason I can do these is because my BF saw me struggling, took a look at how Cathe was doing it on the DVD, and told me where to place my hands. Here's what works for me: When my legs are crossed on the floor, I place my hands next to the middle of my thighs, not directly down by my side. You have to find the spot where your body weight is centered, so that half of your weight is in front of your hands and half is in back. When I do it right, it feels like I'm pushing forward against the floor instead of straight down to lift myself.

HTH.

You guys are the best! I first tried doing something similar to what Kathryn does and could hold myself up by my hands on my weight bench with my legs in a chair position. Then I tried the other suggestion kinda using my fingers. And, although it hurt my fingers and isn't the best idea, I got myself off the floor for a couple of seconds. Now, I'm going to try centering my weight and practice until I can master it. Nothing like a little input from friends. :)

10 minutes later . . . ok, I did it!! Wow, I'm so friggin excited. It totally helped changing my hand placement and balancing out my weight. And, it's so much more about the core strength, than upper body strength, which I now see. Thanks again!

That's great! :) I have to laugh, because I tried a levitation hold before posting. I often struggle with finding the right spot, but today I hit it on the first try and really felt my abs. The funny thing is, I'm recovering from a stomach flu and am still fairly weak, but there I was, doing the hold on the first try because I was really thinking about centering my weight. Go figure.

I was able to do at least 4 of them the first time i tried...the rest of them were "monkey swings". I can now do them all but it takes pratice. Keeping your arms close to the body seems to help.

The only thing I will never be able to do is pikes on the ball...I am too scared of falling...;-)

I don't have the DVD where Cathe does these, I'm guessing they are on Coremax . . . how many does she do and about how long does she hold them?

Alright, Sophie! Bunbun is right about positioning your hands where your weight is centered. And with Jai's hand position, I can center my body better. I think that like Kelly, it also helps that I have short legs.;-)

Pinky

Pinky,

Don't sell yourself short! You work hard and are strong and that's why you can do them. Look at your pictures!

I was showing them to my husband (from your pictures) and so he decided to try the pike on the ball. Now that was funny! He gets this running (rolling) start on the ball and his feet end up on the ball about 1% of the time! I told him he wouldn't do well in a crowded class b/c you just don't have that much room. He worked up quite a sweat "playing" with that thing. And he thought it was just a toy.

Susan

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Yes, they're on Coremax. She does 10 of them for 4 counts each--I think. I would check on my DVD, but the BF is watching a program on the tv right now.

>I was thinking the other day, while trying unsuccessfully to
>do one, that my legs just seem too darn long to bring them up
>off the ground. I know that's probably just an excuse, but
>that's how I feel when I'm trying!

No, I agree! I am really tall and that seems to be a legitimate problem with this move! I can do these though, if I tuck my legs in. In other words, sit "indian style" and then pull your foot up on the opposite thigh, locking them into position. That way, your lower body is one solid piece. That may be "cheating" just a little but its the only way that I can lift 6 feet of me off the floor and get my legs up too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.