Leg Extensions. Is there a Free Weight Substitute?

YasB

Hi Ladies,
I was wondering if anyone knew a good exercise to substitute for the leg extension machine? I haven't been a gym member for many years but I recall that I got good leg definition in the medial (?)(just above the knee) part of the quads from this exercise. But, its hard to isolate this muscle with free weights and ankle weights.It seems like the larger outer quad muscle bears most of the effort in squats and lunges.

Is there perhaps a certain foot placement in squats or a lunge angle that will target this part of the quad better? Or do I need to use heavier weights? I'm focusing on PS Legs for the next few weeks (after doing LL, S&H,,and MIS rotations)and maybe the higher weight will make a difference. But, I'm looking for an effective way to target this area that will duplicate the leg extension results.

Thanks for any help!

Yas B :)

The closest I've ever come to duplicating leg extentions is with rubber resistance tubing. My product of choice is from Spri Products, and it's called the Xering. You can also do it with their Ultratoner. Their number is 800-222-7774. They also have a good book of exercises called Rubber Resistance Exercises.

You can actually do real leg extentions that you can FEEL with these gizmos.

In Voigts Great Weighted Workout she does floorwork with ankle weights. THe one exercise I always felt in the area you are discussing was simple, but suprisingly effective.
SIt on the floor, lean back with bent arms (forearms on floor). Keeping back pressed into floor. Bent legs, come up on tip toes. Then just do a bunch of extensions (touch floor, verticle). This is similar to a Pilates move. If you do the reps you feel the burn right there.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.