Leaner Legs--How much weight do you use?

Annelise

I have been doing leaner legs since December. After doing it for 12 weeks, I switched to PS Legs. I am back on the LL rotation, and just upped my weight to 55 lbs. The workout feels extremely challenging again like when I first did it. I am just wondering what all of you are lifting and if you noticed additional definition when you upped the weight. My legs are a little on the short side and tend to be stocky and muscular. I would love to have definition like Cathe's. I must say though, that I am extremely pleased with the changes I have seen in them since I added this tape to my rotation! It's my favorite video to love to hate!

Also, which tape do you feel gives you better results? Leaner Legs or PS? I think LL is soooo much more challenging! I can't wait for the Slow & Heavy series to come out. (Except I'm really scared that it will be even harder than LL and I won't be able to do it! ;-)

Also, if anyone has a really good rotation that has trimmed down and defined leg muscle, I would love to see it if you don't mind sharing. I'm really making weight training a priority for the first time in my life. I used to do legs once or twice a week and rarely worked my upper body. Now I'm focusing on working my legs 2 times each week, and my upper body one to two times per week. It's really rewarding to watch the definition take shape.

Thanks for any info!

Hi Annelise!! I like LL also. Great Workout! I actually prefer PS SLA over LL. That's just my personal preference, I agree that LL is more challenging!! Those single legs squats and lunges near the end get me everytime:)! I'm just the type of person who doesn't like to go so fast when lifting weights. However, where I feel PS is perfect fo me, I hope S&H isn't too much slower! He he he.
Anyway, I had a rotation and I just loved the results. I'm only 5'1" and my legs can get bulky with too much weight(in fact it was when I went to 55lbs, that they got that way.) I'm not saying you will, I just found out what happened to me. I'm babbling, anyway, I got great results doing PS SLA and LL!! I never went above 45lbs with the barbell or 15lb dumbells. Anyway, if you're going to work your legs twice a week, why not do both in the same week? As for upper body, I get the best results doing BodyMax and MIS.
Ok, I must go get some java, cause I sound silly to myself writing this!! I hope you understand what I mean though:)!
Hope this helps!

Aimee

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll try 55 lbs for a few weeks and then see if I notice any changes. I really liked the soreness I felt from adding the additional weight. It felt like I was actually making progress again. The hard thing for me is that I see my body everyday, so gradual changes are so hard to notice. How do you guys tell whether something is causing you to bulk more? The way your clothes feel, the way you look, or by what the tape measure says?

I work my legs only one time per week with LL or PS L depending on the rotation I'm on. My second leg workout in a given week is with BodyMax, Power Circuit, or Circuit Max. It's hard to be motivated enough to do LL more than once a week! Do you think I'd notice much difference if I worked them that hard twice per week? I also like to do one tape exclusively for a set # of weeks, so I can switch to the other tape after my rotation is up and continue to see results without plateauing.

If I do bulk with the 55, I'll definitely go down to 45, and do some tinkering. It's hard to find the perfect mix for your body type!

Thanks again!

This is so tough because everyone has to find out what works for them! I have fought my whole life for better looking legs and nearly gave up, but I kept going back to the fact that I could develop good muscle tone everywhere else, so why not my legs? I determined that I just had to work harder, but now I know I need to work smarter, too. The key for me seems to be making sure I get in enough floor work, such as in the second half of the PS Legs tape. I got the book Lower Body Solution, and in their the author advises working your legs 4-6 times per week. With my work schedule and energy level, I found that 4 days is about all I can handle, plus do all the cardio I feel I need to do. I've been on this program for going on 6 weeks now.

I alternate standing leg work tapes and floor work tapes, and also go to the Y and use their Cybex machines.

I also gave up on the heavier weights, and don't go over 35 lbs on a barbell, and lighter weights and higher reps at the Y.

You also may consider using tubing, which is especially good for inner and outer thigh work. Also, you can do leg extensions, which are hard to simulate outside a gym.

RE: Bulky thighs

When my thighs started to bulk I noticed it first, with how my jeans fit my legs, then I grabbed a tape measure and confirmed it.

Aimee

what's worked for me

Hi--OK, I found the best solution for me in terms of getting definition in my legs is to do PS-Standing Legs on Saturday (I hate that floor work, gag!) and on Tuesday, I do Leaner Legs. Adding the latter to my rotation has made a HUGE difference in how much weight I can handle doing both tapes. I'm up to 50lb barbell on PS deadlifts, 45lbs for squats/sit 'n stands on PS, and 40lb BB for the rest of PS. For LL, I go lighter--keep my barbell at 40lbs until we go to static lunges, then I drop it to 35lbs for the rest of the tape. Regardless, my legs quiver like jelly during that second set of plie squats!!! Upping my weight on the step ups on LL has "perked up" my big bum some, too (as Gin Miller says, 'if you have to have a big bum, have a GREAT big bum!'). I do 12lb dumbbells for the first set, then I drop it to 10s for the two other sets. I've been trying to stick in a circuit work every once in awhile instead of PS, but I just don't enjoy it as much. It'll interesting to see how adding S&H to our routines affects our strength gains. I can't wait! Suzanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.