A lady is suing WW's.....

I am not completely familiar with WW's , but once you have reached your goal weight, don't they offer advice on how to gradually increase your points up to a level where you won't gain weight ?

Is the woman not considering successful slimmers, who lost the weight and put it back on again, that their weight gain might be due to depression (was that caused by WW's ?), or pregnancy (most women put on 'some' weight whilst pregnant) ?

And doesn't WW's advise their clients that the only way to keep weight off for life is to adopt a healthy lifestyle and stick to counting WW's points FOREVER ?

I suppose the other factor is that if you had WW's success at the age of 30, and stuck to the points system over the next 10 years, but found that you have still gained weight, then it is due to the ageing of the body, and the eventual slowing down of the metabolism. Which just goes to show that exercise is THE key, and it goes hand in hand with clean eating.

Anna :)

I think she's right that WW makes more money off people who fail than people who succeed and that they bet on the fact that most people will fail. Just like with gyms. But that's not unique to the diet industry. It's not a legal wrong for a company to make money off other peoples' failures.

IMHO the diet industry is pretty sick and preys on people's ignorance. There should be more supervision. However, WW is one of the 'good guys' if anyone in the diet industry can be a 'good guy.'

I'm a bit concerned with all of the hoopla about diets not working because diets do work. WW's works. Any diet that reduces calories works. And they won't work long term if there's not a change in habits but that doesn't mean that diets won't work. I'm afraid that a lot of people won't even try a diet because they are told constantly that diets don't work. It makes it seem like weight loss is a huge mystery and that a lot of people are 'destined' to be overweight which I don't believe.

This article makes me so angry - why is there such a complete lack of personal accountability in some people?

I think people misuse or misinterpret the meaning of the word "diet" much too often. A diet is not temporary, a diet simply is your eating habits - what you put in your mouth and how you fuel your body, whether it's donuts and fries or veggies and fruits. Sure, healthy diets work to help people to lose weight because they are supposed to be permanent!

I know a couple people who have followed the WW program to their goal weight only to put the pounds back on. They realize it's because they've changed their diet from the recommended maintenance plan - how can you blame anyone else??

A cursory glance at the article seems to show that she is suing BECAUSE WW grads regain weight when they go back to eating the old way. If eating the old way didn't work before, why on earth do these people think it'll work now?

Jenne

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-03 AT 11:36AM (Est)[/font][p]The thing with WW is that they don't instruct you about dieting. IT'S ABOUT LIFESTYLE. That's why WW works. They tell you that you can NEVER EVER go back to eating the way you did before WW. They train you to be able to count points without even thinking about it--if you stick with the program. I know quite a few people that have used WW with great success & with dismal failure. The difference between the two types of people is the commitment each puts into learning proper eating habits.

Oh & guess what? WW will teach you to eat "clean." You can eat as many fruits & vegis as you want. But you have to cut down (not eliminate) on sugar, fat & bad carbs (white breads, potatoes, pastas). That's what clean eating is all about.
http://www.mindundermuscle.com/web pages/banners/HelpBanner.gif

That is just so sad. Weight Watcher's is one of the few diet companies that truly wants to help you change your habits and make lifelong changes that will work.

There are plenty of diet companies that she could sue that her accusations would be true of, but I just don't see it with Weight Watcher's.

I think Orbach is just looking for publicity. If she really wanted to do some good, she'd sue makers of diet pills and all the other companies that make empty promises about getting in shape in X days. From what I understand, Weight Watchers is one of the few successful weight loss programs, precisely because it focuses on changing one's lifestyle, not on some gimmicky diet.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.