Kettlebell Love

Gayle

Cathlete
I'm really diggin' Art of Strength and having my own kettlebells. I'm glad I went with a lighter 2nd KB (8kg) for this as the KB windmills with overhead squats are definitely kicking my butt.

If any KB fans are interested, Jersey Shore CrossFit posts some really good KB workouts. Their Kettlebell Meltdown 300 workout is definitely a goodie }( }( (I managed a pitiful 29:50...with dry heaves on the mountain climbers).

http://www.newjerseycrossfit.com/
http://crossfitjerseyshore.typepad.com/jersey_shore_kettlebell/

Thanks for posting!! My dh bought me exactly what I wanted for V-day.... a kettlebell!! It came w/ a short DVD but I need more exercises so I'll check it out!

> My dh bought me exactly what I wanted for V-day.... a kettlebell!!

Nice! I'd take that over flowers and jewelry any day!!! :)

Gayle,

I'm glad you're lovin' the kettlebell workouts! There are so many ways to incorporate kettlebells into your workouts. I go on to the Crossfit site often and pull workouts from the affiliate sites.

The fitness bootcamp that I attend is now a Crossfit affiliate. We do lots of Crossfit inspired workouts.

>The fitness bootcamp that I attend is now a Crossfit
>affiliate. We do lots of Crossfit inspired workouts.

That's cool, I'm so jealous! We don't even have a CF affiliate in this state. :(

That's exactly what I said! Forget the flowers... buy me a kettlebell! (he's smart enough after 11 yrs to buy me what I ask for!! }( )

>> My dh bought me exactly what I wanted for V-day.... a
>kettlebell!!
>
>Nice! I'd take that over flowers and jewelry any day!!! :)

I got a kettlebell for Valentines too! Cool! I got a 20 lb, then I went out and got a 10 lb. Very expensive though!!

Clarissa ;)

Gayle,

Thank you for the info. I absolutely LOVE kettlebell training. I invested quite a bit of money in them , but I use them all the time. I know what you mean about the windmills with overhead squats. It is amazing how you can vary the windmill and shake up your program using the same exercise! Look at the Turkish get ups!

Cheryl

I just got Extreme Kettlebells from Dragondoor.com and I love it. I did it twice, and it's not fancy - a guy on a beach in Mexico talking you through the workout, but he's working hard and the workout is fast and tough. But you want to be sure you know proper form before you do it. This one wears me out like nothing else (not even P90X!). I really like it. }(

>I just got Extreme Kettlebells from Dragondoor.com and I love
>it. I did it twice, and it's not fancy - a guy on a beach in
>Mexico talking you through the workout, but he's working hard
>and the workout is fast and tough.

What moves does he use?
One kettlebell, or two (some of those more advanced workouts use two).

Kathryn -

He uses one kettlebell throughout the entire workout (he uses exactly one - I switch weights). Here's the breakdown (it's a "manly" workout, but I figured I was woman enough!) from the website: http://www.dragondoor.com/dv052.html It's actually pretty accurate, although I didn't think the core routine was THAT tough - it was thorough and good and challenging, especially after working your core the entire workout, but Cathe's PLB one is way tougher. :p You can select which section you want (they are chaptered), but each section is not chaptered, if that makes sense.

The Manmaker
Bang off with a series of challenging, hi-octane drills: 10 thrusters/side, 10 clean and presses/side, then 10 OH squats/side, 10 windmills/side, and finally 10 swings or snatches/side.

The Upper Body Blast
Continue with a blistering series of upper body oriented exercises strung together in push-pull fashion in order to prevent over-emphasizing one particular movement pattern and to avoid burning out too early. One side of the body, preferably the non-dominant side, is worked first, then the other. Places deliberate and unforgiving stress on the respiratory muscles. The exercises include, in order, windmills, push presses, cleans, clean and presses, rowing, pushups, upright rowing, then finally the hot potato drill.

The Leg Burner
You ain't kidding! If you're not ready for this you could feel like you'd sucked on gasoline then thrust a burning torch down your throat. Could be called the lung burner as well because of the intensity of this series. Just be prepared… 10 overhead sq/side, 10 squat kicks/side, 10 overhead lunges/side, 10 tactical lunges/side, 10 swings/side, and finally 20 bodyweight squats.

The Swing Workout
Still standing? Then pound out a series of swing variations interspersed with the hot potato drill to allow the hip and thigh muscles to recover slightly, while keeping the heart rate high and working the core in a different way. The swing variations include one handed swings, high pulls, clean and presses, cleans, then back to standard swings. The clock says it only took 6:45, but you'll swear the clock lied as every cell in your body screams for relief…

The Slingshot
But wait, there's more savagery to be enjoyed: between the legs pass variation of the Slingshot is performed between sets of 2 handed drills including squats, overhead push presses, tactical lunges, thrusters. That'll teach you!

The Turkish Getup
A "nice" way to finish off. 5 sets per side consisting of 2 getups, 2 overhead squats, 2 windmills, then 10 swings (2 handed) before switching sides and repeating the sequence. A good focus training as it is difficult to breathe, concentrate on form, and keep pushing through the fatigue at this stage of the training session. Also a dynamite routine done on its own.

Core Workout/Cooldown
Administer the final smacks to your battered body with this highly demanding routine cunningly crafted to scorch the pre-fatigued core muscles as well as hammer the last remnants of your cardiovascular system. This workout is unorthodox in the sense that the reps are high relative to what would be recommended for pure strength purposes. Live with it!

Do you like the psycho-satisfaction of murdering your abs? Is that what you get off on? Do you feel that you haven't really worked out unless your abs are contorting in pain? Then here's the perfect Killer drills for you, you devious twisted person…

The evil drills span from situps with the bell, crunch variations, lateral leg raises, floor wipers, Russian twists, partial get-ups for the obliques, frontal leg raises, followed by a brief stretching session, to bring you back from hell…

ohh, thanks for posting this website!!

we have a crossfit affiliate near us and I am hoping to one day be able to get to a class:7 i am lovin' my kettlebells}(

I also got a 30# KB for Valentine's Day. Now I have a 15, 20, 25 and 30 pounder and I'm thinking of picking up a 35 pounder this weekend.

I did the Extreme Cardio Kettlebell workout this morning with Steve Weber and it was an excellent workout. I'm starting to get some DOMS and I NEVER get sore. I loved it. I burned 489 calories doing it too!

Highly recommend this workout, although the music isn't that great.

Ok, you convinced me! I just ordered the kettlebell workout. I can lift fairly heavy weights, but have never tried a kettlebell before. I need to buy one (or two) before the DVD comes - what weight(s) would you suggest that I get to start with? I want to go heavy enough so that it kicks my butt.

Thanks!

Jan

I bought an 8kg (~18lbs) and a 12kb (~26lbs) to start with for "Art of Strength". There are some moves, such as the two-handed swing, where I think I'll be wanting to go heavier soon. However, there are plenty of single arm moves (KB snatch, seated press, wind mills, and overhead squats) where these weights should be good for a while.

Hope this helps a little.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.