Kale Chips make me HUNGRY!!

atompki1

Cathlete
I'm trying to add more veggies to my diet so I tried Kale Chips this week. They are super easy and quite tasty, but what I find really surprising is that they make me hungry :confused: Maybe it's the salt?? Anyone else every have a veggie make them feel hungry?

Hi Toni - I haven't tried kale chips, but just eat fresh kale in my omelettes etc. But I'm wondering, have kale chips been sprinkled with msg? That can make you hungry.

Hi Toni,
My mom has been making kale chips lately. I don't know if they make me hungry, but they make me want to eat pounds and ponds of them. I think you are right, it is the salt. At least I don't get the "I ate too many potato chips" feeling.

Melissa

My guess is the salt. Salt, sugar and starchy foods (grains and starchy vegetables) all turn me into an eating maniac. If I can keep myself from those, I can control my eating.

Try munching on fruits and veggies instead and getting your kale in green smoothies.

My next green smoothie will be with kale. It's cheaper than spinach :). Hopefully it tastes as good!

The kale chips I'm talking about are just fresh kale leaves sprinkled with a bit of salt and some light olive oil. So no msg that I'm aware of.

Question for you Toni, are you just eating kale chips by themselves as a snack? It is relatively low in calories, and hardly enough to sustain your appetite for long stretches (i.e-your afternoon snack). If you find that is the case, then try eating some protein with your kale. Another great pairing is some slivered almonds toasted along with your kale (YUMMY!). If not, then at least you're eating a very healthy snack and getting your intake of leafy greens :p.

BTW, if you feel the salt is causing you to have the massive munchies :D then try using no salt, and instead look for seasonings that give the food flavor without the sodium. Garlic powder, onion powder, no-salt assorted herbs (Mrs.Dash).

Good luck ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.