Is it just his age??

pjlippert

Cathlete
So, my DS and I were watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas- you know, the one as old as me :p . He is 9 years old and quite a smart feller- especially in math, science, biology, etc.. I admit, I have raised him to be logical and I tend to make comments about how certain things in movies defy logic, physics & such. I seriously did not know he was paying THAT much attention to my innane ramblings :rolleyes::p . Seriuosly, how about all the really cool & awesome things I say?!?!

Well, it's becoming a serious buzz-kill for the Holiday movies because he is pointing out how the Grinch should be arrested for animal abuse, how he couldsn't possibly clear all those Who homes out without SOMEbody calling the police, how Max, the dog could possibly pull that sleigh, etc. etc... It is funny, but also becoming really annoying!! And frankly, I'm beginning to run out of explanations and he wants more than just "it's just a cartoon, honey".

I know we are at the age of "the Santa talk" but I"m gonna milk this for as many years as I can!!! I still profess to him that Santa is absolutely real!! I blew the Easter Bunny theory when he was about five because I was deathly ill with the stomache flu and he caught me out about the Tooth Fairy one year when the stinker was actually awake as "she" was slipping a gold dollar coin under his pillow. The $takes went up exponentially once he discovered that "she" was me! :p:eek::D

Who else has experience with this and what did you do?

Love to hear similar stories!!

Pam

I don't have any advice. Kind of in the same boat. insanely smart kids, and my oldest is very logical too. Plus, he has 2 younger siblings, so i'm afraid when he doesn't believe anymore the others won't anymore either.

My now-14 year old daughter is also super intelligent and observant. We never did the Santa thing. I explained to her that at one time there was a real Saint Nicolas who did good to children at Christmas time, but he has been dead a long time and that is where the "Santa" idea came from.

Well my sisters chose to perpetuate the Santa myth/fun with their children and one Christmas Eve when my DD was about 6, she was in the car with all of her little cousins who were talking about everything that "Santa" was going to bring them.

My daughter piped up, "Santa's dead. What are you talking about?"

Needless to say, my sisters were upset with me and there was quite a hub-bub in that SUV that night -_-

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.