Just Going Through the Motions

Soxy

Cathlete
I'm feeling a little down, but I'm glad I'm not crazy! For the past 10 days, between a hectic week on-call at work and seeing a new ENT Doc who has been doing a battery of testing, I could not fit in a workout. My current "rotation" is going to be half hour premixes of my favorite Cathe workouts about 4 times a week so I don't lose my hard earned muscle memory. Next week I will also try to add long walks in the afternoon on my days off. In addition to LPRD (larngo-pharyngeal reflux disease also called silent reflux), I have post viral vagal neuropathy (PVVN) and had to start an intensive medication regime along with fairly restrictive dietary changes. PVVN is sort of like a Bell's palsy to some of the branches of the vagus nerve in the larynx, and for me it is causing left vocal fold paresis (weakness), and a worsening of the lower esophageal valve functioning. This worsens the reflux & the reflux causes more inflammation of the vagus nerve.

The scariest part of reflux is that it causes throat cancer. Throat cancer is the fastest growing cancer in the USA according to the National Cancer Institute (increasing 850% since the 1970's). Dying from this cancer is 7 times more likely now despite increased screening endoscopies.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm a pretty tough broad! I'm just venting and wondering if anyone else has heard of or had experience with this or "reflux" in general. Many of my symptoms were quite ubiquitous and easy to write off as allergies, hormone changes, stress, aging, etc...I'm so glad to know what is really going on and now I can focus on healing. I'll be glad to share my newfound knowledge with anyone who may be experiencing this too.

Hi Soxy,
I'm so sorry for what you are going through, it sounds quite scarey. If i recall correctly, Janeyjoey also had grief with reflux and she changed to a paleo diet which helped her tremendously with the symptoms. I don't know how to post a link but if you search Reflux, there's a long thread in 2012 and she refers to using this diet along with a cetain body building rotation etc. Maybe she'll chime in here to verify this but hopefully someone who's also experienced this can provide some input,
Take care of yourself,
Jamie

Sorry to hear about your problems.
Just remember that the biggest causes of throat cancer (in this order) are smoking, drinking too much alcohol, obesity, poor diet. Get those sorted (if you haven't already) and your chances will fall dramatically.

I hope you find the solution to the reflux problem. Keep strong. x

Soxy, I work with the elderly and can empathize with your swallowing difficulties. I don't have any advice, but please know I am thinking of you and rooting for you as you go through your challenges.

Beth

Soxy, I have no advice to offer either in terms of the reflux, but I can relate to the experience of having a medical concern that seems to take over your life...never-ending doctor appointments, feeling ill, medications, worry. Please take care of yourself physically (doing workouts that you enjoy is great if you have the time and ability!), and find people and activities that can help take your mind off your stresses as much as possible. That's what helps me, at least.

Be in good health.

Lisa

Hi Soxy, Please keep up your workouts to feel good! We are all at increased cancer risk in today's environment, those stats will cripple everyone....but a healthy BMI negates a lot of the risk too. Move on from the fear of unknown and recover from present set back. Take care!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.