Jumping Rope vs. Running

sarab

Cathlete
Hi Everybody!!

I read something in a magazine...not the most reliable (US Weekly) and they were talking about celebrity fitness. The article said something about how jumping rope for 10 minutes is equal to 30 min of running. I know there are a lot of variables involved here like speed of running or jumping. But, I never really realized that jumping rope was such a good workout. Does anybody here jump rope? If so, how long and how do you like it? I know when I run (I run on sat mornings), I feel like I am in cardio heaven (or hell). So, I am wondering how jumping rope compares to that feeling :).

Sara

http://www.picturetrail.com/saraburnham1

Jumping rope is an AWESOME w/o and I definitely compare it to the calorie burn of running. I don't know about the minute comparison you stated, but I have seen an equal amount of calories for both in terms of running vs. jumping. I haven't done it consistently and frankly I find it harder than running. I can't go for more than a few minutes at clip w/o stopping. If you are looking to spice up your cardio or just change it up a bit, I would very much recommend it. Ropes are pretty cheap, too! Have fun.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

It was a few years ago that I was jumping rope for 30 minutes, twice a week. It took a few weeks to build up to that because jumping rope seems to require more coordination. It is a GREAT workout but I became too bored and the kids had to stay way back! Waaaaay back!

I don't know about the calorie burn but I never trust it when any magazine claims "Burn 600 calories in 1 hour" like Shape and Fitness does. There are several variables that contribute to calorie burn and the authors get off on technicalities by leaving those details out. Age, height, weight and current fitness level need to be considered.

Still, jumping rope is an excellent workout. However, I never "lost myself in euphoria" jumping rope like I do with running. Jumping rope is supposed to be really great to help running, too!

Sara, I just saw your picture trail! You are very beautiful!! You are in awesome shape! WOW!! Love the abs peeking through your "Cutie" shirt! Love the shirt too! Your kids are just so adorable! You should be very proud...it looks like you have it all! Excellent health and a beautiful, happy family!

Thanks for sharing your pictures! Keep up the hard work, you look GREAT!!

Hi all. I tried jumping rope a few years ago, figuring it could be used as a workout when I visited family members without VCR's, but I found it incredible boring. I'd much rather run.

Jumping rope is a butt kicking workout & IMO tougher than running.

The only thing I don't get about the effectiveness of fat burning is, I thought you had to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes to really burn fat. So while I think you definitely burn fat with 10 minutes of jumping rope, I'm not sure it'd be as effective as 30 minutes of running.

On the other hand, if you can jump rope for 30 minutes (& if you can you're my new hero :) ), you'd be burning fat like crazy.

Hmmm, you all got me thinking that jumping rope might be a great cardio to insert in a weight circuit workout. Or maybe do LG with 3 minutes of jump roping inserted a few times. Or maybe do one of the IMAXes, inserting jump roping instead of the blasts. Or Circuit Max, with rope jumping instead of the weight work. So many possibilities....

Cheers,
Sandra

I teach a "Jump and Pump" class every once in a while and I always include the jump rope in our circuit like Sandra mentioned. We do anywhere from a minute to 2 minutes of jump rope mixed with plyometrics between weight sets. I would have them do more jump rope but 2 minutes is usually their max. It's a great workout but I couldn't imagine a half hour of it!! They would KILL me if I asked them do to that!;-)

Carolyn

My former personal trainer had me jump rope for 2 minutes when we did circuits. I don't think I could jump longer than that at one time. It really kicked my butt. As I was jumping and my PT was manning the stop watch, the only thought that ran through my mind was "how much longer before the time is up".

Michele

Sara I was flicking through one of my magazines the other day and saw a few workouts in there and one of them was a jump rope workout.Would you like for me to post it for you? I thought about doing it myself a couple of times a week.But I am almost afraid my calves will get bigger.
Lori:)

Sure.Its called the Jump Rope Butt Blaster.

Time Task
1-10 Warm Up Rope Practice
10-11 Round one: 1 Minute
11-13 Recover and Stretch Quads
13-15 Round Two: 2 Minutes
15-17 Recover and Stretch Calves
17-20 Round Three: 3 Minutes
20-22 Recover and Stretch hamstrings
22-26 Round Four: 4 Minutes
26-30 Mid-bout recovery
30-33 Round Five: 3 Minutes
33-34 crunches as many as you can
34-37 Round Six: 3 minutes
37-38 Lunges- As many as you can
38-41 Round Seven: 3 Minutes
41-42 Squtas- as many as you can
42-45 Round Eight: 3 Minutes
45-46 Lunges-as many as you can
46-49 Round Nine: 3 Minutes
49-50 Crunches- as many as you can
50-53 Round 10: 3 Minutes
53-60 Cool Down, mild cardio and stretch

Lori:)

When we're talking "jump roping", exactly what technique is being used? Two feet off the ground together, like Cathe does in her kickbox workouts? Or are there other techniques?

Lori, Thanks for posting the workout! I've printed it off for future use.

Cheers,
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.