joint supplements?

I've been having some knee pain lately (I'm a high impact addict), and decided to buy a glucosamine chondrotin supplement after hearing Dr Oz recommend it for knee pain. (I seem to recall that Cathe has said she takes glucosamine chondrotin as well...but don't quote me on that.)

Anyway, I did some snooping around on the Internet and decided to go with Osteo Bi-Flex. I ordered from Amazon and literally just got the bottle today. I can come back and post my thoughts after a couple of weeks, if you're curious.

HTH!

Hi,

I take something called "Move Free" Advanced. I have been taking it for years and I think it has helped ward off any joint pain.

I take a glucosamine/chondroiten supplement, too. I think many brands are fairly equivalent. It's mostly for building/maintaining the cartilage.

I also takes these things:

Hydraplenish Nature's Way Hydraplenish HA 60 Caps - Swanson Health Products for joint cushioning/synovial fluid replenishment.

Curcumin extract (turmeric). Just make sure you get one with black pepper extract (Bioperine) to increase absorption. This helps with joint inflammation.

I also drink tart cherry juice. I buy it in concentrate and squirt about 1-2 tblsp into a glass, fill it with water and sip on that while I workout instead of just plain water.

I have chondromalacia of the knees. For myself, I have to keep high impact to less than 2-3 times a week, always remembering to keep the knees soft when landing and I only do impact that's controlled, not all over the place bouncy or torquey. I also avoid certain moves altogether (forget tuck jumps or air jacks for this girl:() and I make sure my form is spot on during exercises like squats and lunges (to avoid the knee cap displacement). Hope any of that helped!

I saw a video that Cathe did on this after she hurt her knee - she recommended Cosamin ASU. I switched to that brand, & within 2 weeks, my knee pain was gone.

Hi,

I take something called "Move Free" Advanced. I have been taking it for years and I think it has helped ward off any joint pain.

Deb, is that the stuff that promises smaller, easier to swallow pills? I have such a hard time finding glucosamine that wouldn't choke a horse......I saw it in the Harmon, very expensive but might be worth it if I can make it through the morning without gagging..........

I also take MSM, gelatin & vitamin E. I think that's everything for joint health (although benefits other things as well). I take over 30 pills every a.m., & only 2 of them are prescription! :eek:

Laura,

I never heard any of those types of claims for them, I find that they are not that bad to swallow, they are white, kind of oval shapped. Not that huge, not like the fish oil ones I take Ugh..

That's what I like about the Cosamin ASU - they're capsules, not tablets, so they are MUCH easier to swallow & they're not terribly huge!

I sustained a stress fracture of my greater trochanter in 1/11 training for a marathon. I was unable to run, walk or move without pain in my right hip until I started taking GNC TriFlex Sport in 1/12. About 2 weeks after I started it the pain in my hip is gone! I can even run long distances without pain, I love it and would recommend to anybody.

Wow! I get pain in my hips too. I'm going to try that - just as soon as I run out of my current Costco bottle of glucosamine (that may take a while).

just curious if any of you take supplements to minimize or prevent joint pain?..

Msperkey, just to follow-up on my earlier post, I've been taking Osteo Bi-Flex for about 8 weeks and my knee pain is virtually gone. I'm not sure so sure it's the specific compilation of Osteo Bi-Flex as much as it is the fact that I'm taking glucosamin chondrotin. So, once my Osteo Bi-Flex runs out, I have purchased some Costco brand supplements to take.

My knees are feeling good and I'm pleased with the results, so it was worth the money for me.

I used to take supplements

However, I found that they did not do much. I have joint pain in the right knee from running too much. I wear a McDavid knee brace on it in size small, and I ice for twenty minutes after a high impact workout. McDavid knee braces are the best you can buy. I hope this helps.

I like Triple Strength Glucosamine/chondroitin (Vitamin World); it's 2 (large) pills once daily and again, triple strength has been great for me.

I also take 50mg Hyaluronic Acid (Vitamin World); it's synovial fluid in a (small) capsule.

The combination of both has been a life saver.

Thank you, CDPotier, for the tip on the knee brace. Since I am only in my 40s I can imagine that I'll be ready for a brace eventually!

I just turned fifty

The McDavid knee brace is a life saver, and I also ice for twenty minutes. You can buy the McDavid knee braces on Ebay. I hurt my right knee by doing stupid things; I would run a half marathon and win a trophy for my age group, and, instead of resting the next day the way I should, I would go out and run eight miles. The one marathon that tested my limits was NYC, and I had to rest for two months after that. A large man knocked me down at the 17th mile, and, although I was hurt, I got up and finished. After that my left elbow was the size of a bowling ball, my left hip was swollen and I limped on my left foot.

Caitlin, I am so sorry to hear it:(
I'm glad the brace works for you!
I know ice helps, too; when I have flair ups in my back I definitely use ice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.