Joint relief

Are you looking for heat rubs, icey rubs, oral supplements, or what? Can you be more specific to what you are looking for?

I agree with the glucosamine. I've heard that when it comes to this you definitely get what you pay for and Osteo Bi-flex is what was recommended to me. It takes several weeks to feel the affects. Also, I take 800 mg of motrin 2 or 3 times a day for a few days when they are really acting up. It helps with pain and inflammation.

The glucosamin and chondroitin are good supplements, but be careful if you are allergic to shellfish or iodine. You can have a reaction to the supplement if you are (I think it's the chondroitin that causes the reaction because it's derived from oyster shells). Also, be sure to follow the package directions. My father was taking it for bad knees and didn't get any relief until mom figured out that he was only taking 1/2 the directed dose. One week on the right dose and he didn't have any knee pain!

>The glucosamin and chondroitin are good supplements, but be
>careful if you are allergic to shellfish or iodine.

For those who are allergic to shellfish (or who avoid animal products) you can get a vegan glucosamine (they sell several types at www.veganessentials.com . Vegan Joint Supreme has a particularly good ingredient list: Glucosamine Hydrochloride (vegan) - 1500mg;
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) - 800mg (MSM is both a nutrient on its own, and helps other nutrients get into the system better);
Avocado/Soy Unsaponifiables (30% phytosterols) - 300mg;
Hyaluronic Acid (microbial fermentation) - 20mg). ) All chondroitin comes from shellfish (though I thought one of them came from cow tracheas?).

Another supplement that I would recommend as an antiinflammatory is Blue Mangosteen (a combo of Klamath Lake blue-green algae and Mangosteen powder--whole foods based). I open two capsules and put them in my daily smoothie. I've been getting mine at www.rawfood.com , but their shipping is outrageous, so I will probably order from www.oneluckyduck.com in the future).

Wow - that Blue Mangosteen looks like a 'cure-all' but it's sort of expensive. Kathryn how has it helped you specifically?

>Wow - that Blue Mangosteen looks like a 'cure-all' but it's
>sort of expensive. Kathryn how has it helped you
>specifically?

I'm not sure if it's all the Blue Mangosteen (but after reading about Mangosteen and about Blue-green algae, I wouldn't doubt it!), but a knee that's often given me problems feels much better, and I seem to recover from weight workouts better, and without a lot of DOMS (which would make sense if there is an inflammation component to DOMS as some say).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.