Isn't it all about calories?

katia7

Cathlete
I just wanted to see what your openions on this are.
It seems like there's sooo many diets out there (low carb, low fat, BFL, vegetarian, don't combine carbs and fats, eat protein, fats, and carbs at every meal..etc) and they all work. So doesn't it seem like what REALLY works is just burning more calories that you take in and avoiding processed foods (for me personally, processed foods make me bloated)?

I do think it's all about calories. I tried going low carb a little (as much as I could stand) and was eating lots of nuts and protein. But those nuts pack a ton of calories! So now, I'm into low-calorie-density, high volume foods. Soups, salads w/low-fat dressings, popcorn -- stuff that fills you up but doesn't pack alot of calories. My pile of too-tight pants fit again, and I'm convinced it's because i've gone that route (and lots of workouts, too.)

I know I get better results if I follow a 40/40/20 BFl style diet. I can eat the same amount of calories in less quality food or junk food and I am not going to get the same results.

Colleen

Yep, I agree, when it's all said and done, it's calories in, calories out. Personally, I follow something very similar to the Abs Diet, and it, too, is really just calories in, calories out. Eat less, move more = lose weight.
Just Do It! :)

Not for me--for me only low carb works. I did low fat until I hit 30 & then everything fell apart--no matter how much I exercised that scale kept inching up a pound or two each months.

So, I'd resisted low carb for years but decided to finally give it a shot. I lost 30 lbs in 8 weeks 3 years ago & have kept it off. Now I'm on modified low carb but I know I could never go back to low fat, it just oesn't work for me anymore.

The low fat diet almost decimated my HDL cholestrol and no weight loss.

The high carbohydrate diet packed the pounds onto me.

The Low Carb plan did work well and I lost the weight.

The best plan for me is to watch what I eat (sensible fat and carbohydrates, protein at every meal), eat a variety of foods for the vitamins and minerals, hopefully natural and not processed, and not eat too many calories. I also try to keep my blood sugar level.

I agree that it is all about calories but think that intelligent choices are also important.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.