Iron Gym/Pull-Up bar

NY25

Cathlete
I was watching the Today show this morning, and they did a piece rating "as seen on tv" fitness equipment. They did the Iron Gym, which is the pull-up bar you put in your door, but doesn't require you "installing" it. It hooks on and uses physics to stay in place. Then you stick it in the closet or under the bed or wherever (unless you choose to leave it there). They actually said it was a solid piece - they gave it the highest vote of the things they tested out. It's also available at Target, Modell's and probably other places and only costs $30. Both Jenna and Matt did chin-ups with it, and Jenna even flipped over from it and did a plank with a spotter and that thing didn't move. They had a fitness person test them out and she also gave it a "buy" rating. I may just get one of those, as there has been no update at all on the pull-up tower, so who knows when that may come out. If the tower comes out later, I can buy it later (or not) - at least this would do well for now and be inexpensive. Anyone out there have one and have any contrary comments?

Around x-mas time i remember seeing it at either Kohl's or Marshalls marked way down - I did not buy (trying not to think of myself during holiday season, plus thought I didn;t need it) - of course now I'm kicking myself wishing I woulda gotten it...

Anyway, I've heard really good things about it.

I have nothing bad to say about it. I have had mine for a couple of months and love it. I keep mine up all the time.

I love mine. Got it at Bed,Bath and Beyond with one of their coupons so it was a great price there with that. Also ordered the ab straps ($7 something and well worth it). My strength has really improved b/c I can't walk under that thing without pulling myself up :)

I have one that I got to help me prepare for/use in STS. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, as well. I used one of the $10 off coupons they send out, so it was only about $20 after that. I leave mine up all the time and it feels sturdy and safe. I recommend!

Question for Iron Gym pull-up bar owners

Does this work in any doorway, or does it require specific dimensions, molding thickness, etc.?

I thought I remembered seeing comments about needing to check if it would work with your doors.

Thanks!

Kathryn - I looked into getting the Iron Gym but found that it didn't work with my doors. The moulding around the door has to be a certain size - and of course now I can't remember what it is (although I imagine you could Google it, since that's probably how I got the info). My door mouldings were too big - they're something like 5" wide and the bar only fits over mouldings that are smaller. They may have some minimum size requirement for the mouldings too, I just remember that mine were too big.

I should add that I don't know if "moulding" is the right word - I'm referring to the wood frame on the wall that fits around the door.

I checked...

Petramom, I checked and they specify 3 1/2 inch molding. (Yes, it's the right word!) I measured mine and it is between 3 1/2 and 4 inches -- depending on where you stop measuring (from the top of the molding to the inside top of the door frame is 4").

I really could use a pull-up bar (I doubt I could pull myself up even once) but don't want the kind that you have to screw into the wall or anything. And my doorway is extremely wide, too (it's a double door), so most bars don't extend that wide.

Thanks for the info!

I got one a while ago and it works fine. Easy on easy off and I love it to help my wrists when doing push ups.

It does put you at a different angle for the push ups than doing them on the floor, but you can still feel it.

Wondering what Collins Mom means by using it for dips? :confused:

Oh cool! Just finished posting a frowny about how I have to bypass the pull-ups because I have no place to hang bands, then I saw this. Just ordered the bar from Amazon. Too bad I can't hang it lower than the top of my door, though, since it's WAY over my head. Guess I'll have to stand on my piano bench.

I got one a while ago and it works fine. Easy on easy off and I love it to help my wrists when doing push ups.

It does put you at a different angle for the push ups than doing them on the floor, but you can still feel it.

If you go on Amazon, they have pictures of the dude using it for dips.

Put the contraption on the floor just as you would for push ups, but instead use the curved handle part for your hands and do dips. Add a weight to your lap and you will burn! They show this option in the commercial if I didn't explain it very well...

I have one in the doorway to my workout room. It works great for me, but my tall son (6'2") can't use it very easily. It isn't high enough off the ground for him. So, if you're tall, and your doorway isn't, you could have a problem. Otherwise, I give it a thumbs up!

Thanks for posting about the Iron Gym. I've been looking for a good pull-up bar. I was going to get the one Beachbody sells but it had some bad reviews that made me shy away. I found the Iron Gym at CVS and I bought it today. I intend to get the ab straps, too. I used them years ago in the gym when I had a PT and they give you an AWESOME core workout!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.