iPod, Cardio Coach, HRM

I am about to take the plunge into the world of technology by getting an iPod. I've decided to get a Nano, prob. the 8GB. Will this be enough for Cardio Coach workouts and songs?

Are there only 7 Cardio Coach workouts? It's my understanding (from past posts) that people seem to like #5? Are there others? I will only be using them for outside running.

Should I consider iTrain workouts? Are they better than the Cardio Coach workouts? Any other mp3 workouts?

Should I try to "build up" to running before using the Cardio Coach workouts by running without them first?

Are there specific HRM that work with iPods?

Any other things you think I might need? Different headphones/earbuds? I know some people don't like the ones that come w/the iPod.

Thanks in advance.

I think an 8GB Nano will be just fine. There are 7 *volumes* of CC workouts, but there are a few revised versions, there are two #6 workouts (not sure if you can still get the one with Candace). Cardio Coach probably won't work that well for running outside, though. They're pretty much made specifically for using on cardio machines, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes... There is steady state interspersed with hills and sprints. The hills would be difficult to do outside.

iTrain makes workouts specifically for running outside, so those might suit you better.

Most HRMs don't work in conjunction with your iPod. It's a separate piece of equipment.

As for earbuds, you'll have to figure that out for yourself. I use the ones that came with my iPod and they're okay. But I'm on the lookout for something different. Everyone's ears are different:)

Thanks for your input, Shelley.

I would have never known that iTrain workouts would work better for me. Do you recommend any specific one(s)?

What HRM do you have? Is there an inexpensive one that works well?

I think iTrain 6 is an outdoor one, and maybe 24? I have a few, but I can't remember the numbers. If you go on the site and look under the iTread workouts, you can tell easily because they say "Set 6 - Outdoor - 60 minutes" or some such thing. I really like the outdoor ones!

I have a Timex Ironman. It's always worked really well, but the calorie counter thingie isn't very accurate. I don't really use it for that. I actually got it free, but if I was to buy one, I'd probably buy a Polar. It seems to be the most popular one around here.:)

Congrats on a great decision. I love Cardio Coach. I only have 1-6 because my computer crashed and I can't download anymore until I get it fixed.

No need to "build up" before you start. #1 and #2 are quite easy and you always work at your own pace using your heartrate as a guide.

You can get any heartrate monitor as they are independent from your ipod. I have a Polar and I love it. Shows a summary at the end that shows cals.burned, duration of workout, average heart rate and high and low.

You will love cardio coach. Trust me.

Hi- I think an 8GB Nano would be perfect for what you're wanting to do. You'll have plenty of room for your music and itreads or cardio coaches. I recently purchased my 8GB Nano from Nike.com. I also bought the Nike+ipod system and tracks your calories burned along with distance and time and displays that info on your ipod. I really like it. The calories burned seems to be pretty accurate (maybe a little high but not much). I compare it to my Polar Heart Rate monitor which I also wear when I work out.

As far as earbuds. I really don't like the ones that come with the ipod for running. I would constantly have to be adjusting them because as soon as I'd start sweating a little bit they'd start to fall out. I found these ones at Nike and I love them
http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=n.../pid-162398,_grid,s-earbuds&re=US&co=US&la=EN

Hope this helps and Happy Shopping:)

Just some comments on using cardio coach outside.... if you have varied terrain available to you, and you're familiar with it, you can think about where the hills and flats are and put together challenges that work fairly well. I've done this lately and it is a blast! Much better to be outside in spring than stuck on some exercise equipment. I am lucky in that I have hills and flat available to me, and can make it work -- I'd encourage you to see if you can do the same.

I bought cc for my husband to use on the exercise bike. He has yet to try them, but I am totally hooked!

-Beth

I use itrain

and I really enjoy this system! I have many of the outdoor running programs and some of the indoor circuit training ones, an emphasis on interval training. I plan on doing another marathon this fall and I believe that these programs will help with my speed. The outdoor programs are adaptable to all types of terrain (it's incredibly hilly around here!)and all levels.
Have fun with your Ipod, I also have a few of the Nike workout programs from the apple/itunes store-I really like the one by Alberto Salazar-good music and good coaching!
I couldn't imagine long runs without my pod...keeps me entertained and with the itrain workouts-keeps me focused!!!
julie :D

I LOVE Cardio Coach outdoors! I ignore the references to hill work and just keep my effort and HR "in the zone" regardless of terrain. If I'm on a hill, I'll adjust up or down as needed to keep my HR in whatever zone I'm asked to. If I'm on the flat, I'll run faster to raise my HR. Don't be limited. :)

My favorite right now is #3. I just love doing those 10 second sprints. Outside is way better because I really can go all out. Inside, I don't have time to ramp my treadmill up in just 10 seconds.

April

On the headphones, I really like Philips HS311 over the ear headphones/buds: http://tinyurl.com/52nxf3 About $10 shipped. I really like them because they are adjustable to fit my ear and they don't come off while I'm jogging.

April

I think you should get at least one Cardio coach and at least one iTread before deciding which you like better.

I love both and am glad I tried them both. Lots of CC fans use Cardio Coach outdoors.

As for headphones, reasons people buy another brand:
- If you are an audiophile, iPod headphones just wont do. People who want to appreciate the full potential of the iPod for great sound, who want to hear music separation and clarity, get more expensive headphones. Popular brands for audiophiles are Shure, Bose, etymotic, ultimate ears, Xtrememac FSE (value for money in this category).
- Some audiophiles cannot afford truly audiophile quality so they upgrade to a pair that sound better than the iPod headphones but are not truly high-end. Sony, Koss, Sennheiser, V-Moda are some brands that fall in this category. You have to be careful though because these brands tend to have multiple models (worse than iPod to better) so you should read reviews at CNET /amazon before you buy.
- For sport use, people get headphones that are in-ear or clip-on and sweat resistant. Sennheiser, Nike, Sony and many others make Sport headphones.
- For comfort - People have different ear shapes and sizes. My husband cannot wear ear buds. They fall out if he just moves his head slightly.

I was perfectly content with my iPod headphones. I used to secretly think audiophiles were snobs who use words that mean nothing. Then I tried a pair of audiophile quality headphones. I could not go back to iPod headphones.

A HRM is strictly optional. You can use your perceived exertion to guide you through workouts. If you are the kind who likes to be exact and likes keeping track of stuff like calories burned and exactly how much time you spent in each heart rate zone, you will like a HRM. There are two types of people in my experience. Those who buy HRMs, get a kick out of them for a week or two and then they lie in a corner. Or those that cannot do a workout without them on. I am in the former category. Dont get the ones without a strap - they dont give you a continuous reading. They are pretty pointless in my opinion.

If you want to workout outdoors a Nike Plus is something to consider. It wont give you heart rate but it makes runs more fun by letting you keep track of distance/calories over time, by uploading after a run at the Nike plus site and challenge friends (or strangers) online to runs.

~* Vrinda *~

Hi!

I was in the same situation last summer when I started running. Got the iPod Nano (previous Generation...) 8GB and it holds tons of music as well as my training mixes.
I had the same problem with the earbuds (they kept slipping when I started to sweat or move my head sideways) so I got sponge pads (which don't come with your iPod) and a clip to hold it on my t-shirt. Problem solved! :)
I got many Nike + workouts from iTunes and I also subscribed to Podrunner - they have nice mixes and they are free... They also have Interval Training workouts (Podrunner Intervals) to "build you up" to a 5km or 8km run.
I also think I saw a Nike + wristband by which you can control the iPod wirelessly - I am not sure if it is also a HRM...

Overall, it's a great investment even if you go for the full package (iPod, Nike+ shoes and receiver/transmitter, Nike + wristband controller,iTunes workouts etc.)
You'll definitely enjoy it!

Chris.
:)

I never knew there was a word such as audiophiles. That's pretty funny!

Thank you guys so much. I have a notepad full of your tips.

I think that trying both the iTrain and Cardio Coach is a good idea.

I can't wait to check Podrunner, Chris! Do you have any recommendations on which mix and interval would be good ones to start with?

Now, I'm REALLY excited.

Great!!!

Well... all Podrunner mixes include the BPM in their title.
I would suggest that since you are just starting out, download the Podrunner Intervals which are divided by weeks to help you reach your goal of running 5km (10 weeks/14 workouts). Then, move to the 8km training schedule.

From then on... the sky is the limit!!!

Chris.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.