Interesting Article on Health Clubs

You are trying to make my blood boil, aren't you. :+

OK I have serious issues w/this article. First of all, it really drives me crazy when functional fitness gurus bash traditional exercise routines. And vice versa. My own routine is a combination of both & I've gotten decent results.

Second, the article takes one exercise or another & says it's bad for you b/c you're isolating the muscles you're working. What it doesn't point out is how doing a series of exercises for each bodypart can be effective for day to day life. IMO isolation exercises are essential to strength building.

When you do compound exercises that work 2 or more bodyparts, chances are one of those bodyparts will not build strength. There are few exercises that can work two or more bodyparts that have equal strength. For example, if you do a compound exercise that works bis, shoulders & chest chances are your bis will get the short shrift b/c they're typically stronger than your shoulders & chest.

It really burns me when trainers completely dismiss one method of exercise & go on to say "this is the only thing that'll work." Everyone is different. Everyone's body responds to different kinds of training. Everyone is motivated by different routines & everyone needs to find a routine they like & so they'll stick with it. Health clubs don't have a 35% attrition rate b/c new clients are given traditional exercise routines. Health clubs have a high attrition rate b/c a lot of PTs don't pay attention to their clients' needs & goals & put all of their clients on a template routine.

OK, rant's over. Maybe I need to start a "death to all fitness mags" thread! }(

You are trying to make my blood boil, aren't you. :+

OK I have serious issues w/this article. First of all, it really drives me crazy when functional fitness gurus bash traditional exercise routines. And vice versa. My own routine is a combination of both & I've gotten decent results.

Second, the article takes one exercise or another & says it's bad for you b/c you're isolating the muscles you're working. What it doesn't point out is how doing a series of exercises for each bodypart can be effective for day to day life. IMO isolation exercises are essential to strength building.

When you do compound exercises that work 2 or more bodyparts, chances are one of those bodyparts will not build strength. There are few exercises that can work two or more bodyparts that have equal strength. For example, if you do a compound exercise that works bis, shoulders & chest chances are your bis will get the short shrift b/c they're typically stronger than your shoulders & chest.

It really burns me when trainers completely dismiss one method of exercise & go on to say "this is the only thing that'll work." Everyone is different. Everyone's body responds to different kinds of training. Everyone is motivated by different routines & everyone needs to find a routine they like & so they'll stick with it. Health clubs don't have a 35% attrition rate b/c new clients are given traditional exercise routines. Health clubs have a high attrition rate b/c a lot of PTs don't pay attention to their clients' needs & goals & put all of their clients on a template routine.

OK, rant's over. Maybe I need to start a "death to all fitness mags" thread! }(

Dear god, Laura. Relax your bad self. :p

I realized after I posted the article that you were NOT going to like it--oopsies. :D

I am pretty amivalent about it. I like reading up on all the different opinions out there but never seem to take a side. All your points are incredibly valid though.

Oh and I totally agree with your last point about PT's using a template for their cleint's too often. (At least from what I've seen and heard).

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Dear god, Laura. Relax your bad self. :p

I realized after I posted the article that you were NOT going to like it--oopsies. :D

I am pretty amivalent about it. I like reading up on all the different opinions out there but never seem to take a side. All your points are incredibly valid though.

Oh and I totally agree with your last point about PT's using a template for their cleint's too often. (At least from what I've seen and heard).

Allison

I'm relaxed chicky. ;-) But if I get my hands on the author of that article I cannot be held responsible for my actions. :7

You know, I stopped reading fitness mags years ago, they were getting kind of repetitive. Back then it they were repetitive about traditional exercise. Now they're repetitive about bashing traditional exercise.

Now I get most of my info from kicking around ideas in forums like this. When I make even the slightest change in my routine I come here to Open Discussion & Ask Cathe, & I talk to a variety of PTs who all have different styles. Once I collect all the info I can I anylize it & make my own decision.

Oh, & have you seen the models in fitness mags? teenagers without a bit of muscle on them. I just can't take the mags seriously anymore.

I'm relaxed chicky. ;-) But if I get my hands on the author of that article I cannot be held responsible for my actions. :7

You know, I stopped reading fitness mags years ago, they were getting kind of repetitive. Back then it they were repetitive about traditional exercise. Now they're repetitive about bashing traditional exercise.

Now I get most of my info from kicking around ideas in forums like this. When I make even the slightest change in my routine I come here to Open Discussion & Ask Cathe, & I talk to a variety of PTs who all have different styles. Once I collect all the info I can I anylize it & make my own decision.

Oh, & have you seen the models in fitness mags? teenagers without a bit of muscle on them. I just can't take the mags seriously anymore.

>Now I get most of my info from kicking around ideas in forums
>like this. When I make even the slightest change in my
>routine I come here to Open Discussion & Ask Cathe, & I talk
>to a variety of PTs who all have different styles. Once I
>collect all the info I can I anylize it & make my own
>decision.

Same here. I don't get any fitness mags anymore. Everytime they say "Great new Exercise!" or "Slim Down and Tone Up in 30 days with These BRAND NEW MOVES" they're all exercises that I know and do every friggin' day of my life. Nothing new. Then they come out with articles like this to get attention since they can't find anything else to say.

I find many more new ideas, advice and recommendations here than in all the magazines combined.

Allison

Eh. You can make the same "mistakes" in or out of a gym. I think the gym is fantastic if you know how to utilize it properly & don't just stand around yammering or watch TV. In addition, I think being in the gym allows you to go a LOT heavier than you would traditionally be able to at home. Not everyone has resources to build a "gym" in their house, have spotters, etc. I also bet the automatons on tread didn't have Coach Sean to listen to. Hmph.

Debbie

"Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice."
-Dave Barry

Very intersesting! The only thing I want to comment on here is this: The article tries to imply that because of isolation machines and such and the atmosphere of a gym people get bored and that is why there is only a 35% attrition rate.

I teach fitness classes ( not in a gym but in a conservatory of fine arts, where mine is the only class of it's kind) and do Personal Training in a one on one environment, not a gym but in my home gym which I use for clients, and I can say this. In my HO, what is keeping people from committing to fitness is this: our society promotes "quick fixes" and this mentality is perpetuated in alot of aspects of our society. Not only in health and fitness. However, in relation to health and fitness, I can say this. My classes are certainly NOT boring, they are fun, challenging and take effort and commitment. Same to any client who comes for PT. There is still a high turnover rate for both, probably similar to the statistics given in the article for gyms. The problem, as I have observed, is that people don't want to do the work. They think that coming to class once every couple of weeks, or not following up with the required work at home, will get them results. They don't see results if they don't do the work, so they quit. The ones who continue and stay focused put the work in that's needed, balance that with healthy eating, and give the necessary 6-8 weeks of pushing themselves before they start to see working out as a part of life they can't be without. Period!

My point is this: I agree with Laura, everyone is different and people are motivated by different things. If someone joins a gym, finds that combining machines with cardio works for them, and they stick with it long term, then hey, that's what works!! If it is some other method, then fine. You will always find people debating over what is best, blah blah blah. In a year the same guy will write about how Functional Training is NOT best! Whatever! But you can't blame one type of exercise over another as the reason people don't continue to work out in a gym. Not true. Again, I see the same thing in both aspects of fitness I happen to work in. Personally, I don't like going to a gym. So, for me, I found what works. I stick to it. For some it's a gym. For some, it's both. It's not the love of free weights over machines that makes the difference, it's whatever the person likes and will stick to. Telling someone that they need to do free weights instead of machines may make them discouraged and then guess what happens... they quit. They don't like doing free weights, or FT, so they quit. What good is that?

Our society needs to stop looking for the quick fix and start finding something that works for them personally, and then stick to it. No excuses. If there is a societal attitude adjustment I bet attrition rates will soar!

Just MHO.

Actually Vicki, I have this really amazing pill. If you take it you'll lose 5 lbs of fat a day & your muscle mass will increase 10% every 48 hours. A month's worth costs about $5000. Anyone interested?

(the sad part is if I put this ad on the internet or TV I'd probably be an overnight millionaire :p )

Anyway, you're absolutely correct & thanks for pointing out the "quick fix" syndrome. When I did PT clients would get so frustrated b/c they didn't see results after a month. No matter how many times I repeated the phrase "at least 12 weeks before you see results" it fell on deaf ears.

We are totally a culture of convenience. I think I'm gonna make a bumper sticker that says "Fitness Isn't Sold at the 7-11." :+

Just a thought: I have to wonder how much of the problems blamed on fitness machines are actually caused by the user's ignorance?

I've been seeing an occupational therapist, and he clearly lifts weights. So of course we talked about it. He loves the gym. Please note: he's a trained OT, knowledgeble about muscles, fitness, etc. He uses the gym and all its equipment quite successfully. But what about people who just jump in there, start making the circuits, but don't really pay attention to form?

The same thing can happen at home using free weights. And someone who tries it and comes away injured may swear that free weights are dangerous. You'll never hear that from me though... I love my Cathe weight workouts! :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.