Intense workouts = Heart Palpitations

wonderwoman

Cathlete
I read not to long ago somewhere on this forum that someone was suffering from this. As I was reading the post I was shocked because for several days I was getting them too all through out the day. So I went on to web md and found some causes for this condition which could be due to stress, caffeine, some sugar sweetners, and other things with diet. So I tried to modify with no avail. So I said Ah what the heck I'll just deal with it. So last week I had a really bad week and I did not work out for 10 days. About my 6th day into no workouts I realized I hadnt had any palpitations. So I just started my work outs again (4DSP) and here I am my third day into it and BAM I started having them today AGAIN!!!!. I thought excercise was suppose to be good for you and your heart? So waht gives? Does this mean I should lighten up my workouts? Not workout so much????

There seems to be a lot of talk on this subject lately. I recently posted about this myself as I have been getting them more frequently. I do have MVP so I don't know if it's coming from that or something else. I've cut out most caffeine and I had been taking a hair supplement with 5000mcg of Biotin which the girl at the pharmacy said was a lot. So I stopped taking it 2 days ago and the palps have lessened. Mine feel like my heart flutters for a few seconds. However, I rarely get strange beats (SO FAR) during exercise. I have a friend whose mother died suddenly from heart related issues but was unhealthy in general. My friend has recently started experiencing strange and fast heartbeats as well and just saw a cardiologist. Just because of her family history, he's going to do an echo and holter monitor on her but said she is probably just a "healthy worrier" and that the general popluation experiences palpitations regularly as well. Taken from the advice I got, maybe you should just see a dr just to ease your mind. I have high anxiety anyway and started back on my Ativan when I stopped the hair supplement so that may help as well.

Kim

I have had heart palpitations since I was a teenager... now my teenage daughter has them! I've had every test, even the halter monitor, and everything is normal. Mine seem to stay at bay when I DO keep up my workouts. One thing I can say, and its not easy, is to ignore them as much as possible. I think the more you think about them, the more you get hiped up and release more adrenaline and bam! there they go... I do have some Xanax for a fall back and just having them helps.

Krista

I've had them most of my life and I have gotten them during some more intense workouts. After seeing a cardiologist I have been cleared for to continue my regime, in fact encouraged to do so. That being said, I recommend you see your doctor just to give yourself peace of mind. You don't want to give yourself heart palpitations over heart palpitations! :D

This started happening to me a few years back and it was devastating, thinking I would never be able to work out on a regular basis again. I had my heart checked through treadmill stress test and heart sonogram and all is fine biologically/physiologically. I was having severe anxiety reactions and panic attacks and it got so bad that my workouts set them off also because, well, exercise is stress upon the body and my body was overrun with it.

You may have to think along these lines too. Your body may be trying to tell you something: that you have to change your life to be healthier.

Clare

I posted about this about a month ago. The only difference is that mine was skipped heartbeats. Since then, I have had every heart test imaginable...all normal...except that I do still have the beats and the doctor thinks its a body adjustment or some type of anxiety/stress, since they are typically worse when I worry about something. Another fact I learned is that almost half of the population either has palpitations or skipped beats and most don't even know! When I asked the doctor if strenuous exercise could cause this problem, (I teach seven classes a week) he said that, if anything, exercise decreases the frequency of them and I should not lessen my workout schedule or routine, which brings me to the original post. If your doctor has cleared you for any structural heart damage, then I don't think that it would be necessary to stop exercising.

Good luck! Try not to worry...it makes them worse!

For me, intense workouts equal heart palpitations for sure.

I usually do two classes in a row and that ends up being over a two hour workout. Sometimes when I lay in bed at night after my workout, my heart beats so hard. Not fast, just hard. I also have skips and flutters. I have been to the doctor and everything is normal. I also take a beta blocker to regulate my heart rate. No telling what it would be doing if I didnt take the beta blocker!

But I feel great and dont worry about it too much. It has been going on for over five years now and I am still here. Hah!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.