Instructor pay per hour?

MRSchultz

Cathlete
Hi everyone - I'm currently looking into get group instructor certification. I have been in contact with quite a few fitness centers in my area, but nobody will give me a definite answer on how much an instructor gets paid per hour? Or per class? I am just trying to get myself organized and see if I get certified I might be able to quit one of my million other part time jobs. I just need an approximate and I hope this isn't too personal to ask here, but here goes.

For those of you that are PT or group instructors, what do you get paid per hour and what certification do you have?

Thank you so much!
Marcia

P.S. It's so fun to be back on the boards for a little bit, I miss all of you, but have been so busy I can't get here.

Hey, Marcia! I "retired" from aqua group fitness instruction back in March of this year after a 10-year run, but maybe my info might help. By the time I segued out, I was making $19.50 per class hour. This was with the Lifetime Fitness system, that had recently acquired the system I worked for for most of my soggy GFI career.

I hold the ACE Group Fitness Instructor certification only.

To be honest, pay for GFIs varies widely from geographical region to geographical region, from club system to club system, AND from format to format. Aqua was always one of the boring, old-gray-mare formats and thus didn't command the kind of pay that newer and trendier formats did, such as indoor cycling, Pilates and whatever. The hotter the format and the higher the class attendance the higher the pay, generally speaking. Some formats (again, including Pilates, yoga and branded prorams which are all the rage) require a great deal of specialized (read EXPENSIVE) training and additional certification, and you have to be prepared to shell out a lot of time and dough for these.

I suggest you go onto the Turnstep site's bulletin board (www.turnstep.com), and do searches in their Kitchen Sink, PFT and Instructor bulletin boards, and post your own question there; you'll get a lot of good info.

HTH -

A-Jock

I just got offered a job teaching boot camp for 45-60 minutes and it is 10 dollars per class. I am brand new though. They said I will move up to 12. I live about halfway b/n Cleveland, OH and PIttsburgh, PA.
Hope this helps -
CLarissa

I make $20 per hour long class at one gym and $25 per hour long class at another gym.

When I first started (7 years ago) I was making $15 per hour long class (but that was at a different fitness center than the two I work at now).

ETA: I am AFAA group fitness certified and AFAA Step Certified.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.