Importance of Rubber Encasement?

Jcrew3082

Cathlete
Hi all,

I need to buy some more dumbells. The lighter weights I have are fully neoprene encased. As I am progressing to heavier weights, I am not sure if I should buy ones with rubber encased ends or just the plain old cast iron kind. Are there significant benefits of using the rubber encased kind?

Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking the rubber is just nicer to your floors and looks prettier...if there is some additional reason for it, I don't know about it and hopefully others will share thier knowledge!:)

Most of my weights are the rubber ones, too. As I am adding to my set and getting heavier weights, though, I am switching to metal ones so that I can use platemates to go heavier when I need to. I do like the thickness and feel of the rubber weights, though--I like the grip on them. But unfortunately, the platemates won't stick to them.

http://www.theplatemate.com/hex.htm

You guys bring up a good point...I have always found the vinyl coated hand weights to be too big for my hands, and I don't have tiny hands but apparently smaller than what those weights are made for. Also, you will find some hand weights where the bar between is oval shaped, not a straight rod, which makes the grip bigger around also and I can't use those either, comfortably.

All of my hand weights are the generic cast iron weights you can get at WalMart, etc. I have never seen any, locally for sale, that have the rubber encasing the weighted ends. Those would be nice to have for saving on your flooring if you work out on anything other than carpeting.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.