Ideas for motivation?

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi girls,

Wanted to poll you all and see what types of resources you use to help you get and/or stay motivated? I'm feeling pretty good and motivated right now but would love more ideas.

Personally I enjoy seeing others successes, and I don't mean fitness models in magazines but rather real life people such as Sharee Samuels from the tumblr blog, Funeral for My Fat. I also like follow @linzmarielive on Instagram because she has her before and afters and has made great progress.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hey Candice! Well, YOU boosted my morale with your comment about my sprained ankle! Thanks for that!! So....give yourself a pep talk! That's what I do sometimes. I also give myself permission to modify, take a break or take a day off! It can be hard at times but I KNOW how great I'll feel when I'm done. That usually does it for me. Plus, patience has shown me results in definition and endurance. Nothing worthwhile comes easy or quickly.

I think Cathe has said "think about how you want to look and work for it".

Be your own cheerleader! Push yourself harder when you can and don't give up! Those Nike commercials are pretty cool too, when you want some inspiration.

You AND your health are worth it!

Last edited:
I am a list maker, so I am really motivated by entering a rotation into the Workout Manager and then checking the box to mark the workout as completed. I enter all my workouts into the WM (including non-Cathe stuff) and I find it very motivating to look at a calendar that has all or mostly completed workouts.

Also, having a rotation in general helps me to feel accountable to actually getting the workout done...although I do give myself the permission to make changes. Generally, however, I approach each week and month with a plan.

I'm a cave woman and do not own a smart phone, but I've heard that there are a good number of apps like MyFitnessPal that can be quite motivating as well.

Then there's also that awesome "I just completed a workout" feeling. Sometimes just remembering the sense of accomplishment and pride and well-being I feel after a workout is all I need to get moving. I really really needed that today as I put Gym Style Chest + Triceps into the DVD player. Oh, those push-ups!!!

Good luck and keep at it. You can do it!

I love to be around others who have similar fitness goals, but that's hard to do since I workout at home. I wish I had a workout buddy! To get my inspirational fix, I watch something like the CrossFit games, the Olympics, and the like. I also have "liked" health & fitness sites on FB such as Prevention and Tony Horton. The other thing that inspires me is writing down my weights or reps for each exercise that I do in a workout, and that way, I can see how far I've come. One thing that really gave me a boost recently was doing the back portion of P90X Legs and Back. I was amazed at how many more chinups and pullups I could do since the last time I'd done that workout. I tried CrossFit for a while, and that was very inspirational, but I just couldn't work out the logistics. Still, I'm friends (both in "real life" and on FB) with some CrossFitters, and those folks always inspire me. They say that you are more influenced by your friends when it comes to choices regarding health, diet, and fitness than you are by your family, so trying to spend even a little time with like-minded friends helps.

Another thing that inspires me are good fitness magazines--mainly the men's mags. Even though I am a woman, I find mags like Men's Journal way more inspirational than women's mags. I originally got a one-year subscription for my husband, but I liked it so much, that when it came time to renew, I did a several-year subscription, and I'm always the first one to read it when it comes to my home.

Last edited:
I lost a lot of weight a couple years ago on Jenny Craig. I have several things that motivate me:
1. If I'm feeling like my eating is off and I'm gaining weight, I turn to the Jenny Craig forums
2. I always follow Cathe forums because you guys understand, have amazing advice, and are honest
3. Fitting into my size 4 clothes (the size I was after losing all that weight)
4. Knowing that I don't know anyone else who does these kinds of workouts like we do
5. Being 46 years old and able to do what we do and feeling better than I did at 25
6. Allowing myself an "easy" day or a day off because sometimes I need it, I deserve it, and sometimes I'll do a 2-hour workout day.
7. Being ok with who I am - I'll never be fit like Cathe or model-skinny, but I'm in damn good shape for my age

Last edited:
Another list maker here :p

Also, each month I choose a body part and really focus on that - a month is enough to see a change. This month it has been shoulders. My shoulders were my weak link, so I wanted them stronger, but I was also a matron of honour for a a good friend, and the dress was strapless. THAT was motivating!

I'm going to concentrate on lats during May - trying to create that V taper.

I suppose it's just a case of having a very specific goal for me.

But all you Cathletes are what really drives me.xx

I'm a list-maker as well. ;) I've kept a workout log going back as far as 2003. It's nothing fancy. I just print up blank calendar pages, load them into a binder, and write down the workout I did each day. I've tried to tweak it here and there (make it fancier), but I've found simple is best for me. Sometimes, the very thought of being able to write down a completed workout in my log is enough to motivate me to get a workout in.

I don't track my workouts using my phone. I prefer my old-school method of doing it myself in my binder. From time to time, I've also logged my workouts in Cathe's workout manager system, but I haven't stuck with it.
I have the "lose it" app on my phone and I know others have been motivated by it. I haven't looked at the app too closely myself to use it on a daily basis.

Thank you for the tips girls! it is always helpful to see what keeps others motivated. I especially love the idea of writing down my workouts in a binder. I have recently started tracking my food on MFP and have created a blog/journal so that I have a place to "talk" about my workouts (I can type faster than I can write) but I am also a list-maker and I do enjoy physically writing things out. I might incorporate that idea of a workout binder. I would love to be able to have one and look back over the years ot see what workouts I did! That is such an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing!

To me, the biggest motivation is the feeling I have of peace, capability and all being right with my world that I get when I do regular workouts and feel strong. When I fall off the wagon, it is that feeling that I need back in my life that spurs me back into action. When I am working out regularly, it is that feeling, that I get to have in my life every day, that keeps me at it.

Exercise is my anti-depressant of choice because I have such terrible side effects with SSRIs, the standard medical approach to the condition. Without exercise, my life just doesn't work and I am miserable, period. Now, that's motivating!

Clare

Exercise is my anti-depressant of choice because I have such terrible side effects with SSRIs, the standard medical approach to the condition. Without exercise, my life just doesn't work and I am miserable, period. Now, that's motivating!

Clare

Same here. I really don't know where would I be right now without weekly exercise. Even on my "rest" days I try to do a mat workout, stretch, yoga, clean, walk the dog, something, even if it's low intensity. I get so cranky, moody, and depressed when I don't exercise. I remember when I was younger my mom used to say why don't you go out for a run when I got like that. :eek: She truly could understand that exercise was better than any SSRI for me. I think a little bit of outdoor exercise regulates my mood (and my sleep) especially when done while the sun is still out. Thinking I have to do it to keep my sanity, sleep well, and be nice to everybody around me is my motivation. I remember Chalene Johnson on CLX saying that we are blessed to be given the chance to exercise every week. She's so right. I always keep that in mind, especially during the weekend, that I want to sleep a few more hours and find excuses not to move.

these are all such awesome responses...I totally need exercise too on a consistent basis or I am so cranky and even sometimes feel sad/depressed. I like the idea of printing out a monthly calendar and writing the cathe rotation workouts on it and then crossing them off as I do them....I use computers all the time, but like manual writing on Lists....so going to try that.

I also just signed up for the On Demand stuff so now I really have no excuse not to workout! I stream it to my tv via apple tv and my ipad.

Kelly
age 50 in a couple weeks! and 5 ft 2, need to lose 20 lbs

This probably sounds cheesy, but when I run I put my ipod on shuffle and I have all sorts of music and every so often a song from my early 20's or late teens (90's stuff) comes on and I'm reminded how far I've come.
I like getting older and who am. We are not our mistakes!
I am so much happier living a healthy lifestyle.
So when those songs pop up it take me back and I feel peace and push a little harder!
I sure am happier at 41 then 21!

See I said it was going to be cheesy!
Christie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.