i just feel shame for my city

ldy_solana

Cathlete
shame on ppl in my city. gas stations jumped on prices and ran short on supplies b/c ppl in my inland city of lynchburg fear the whole damn world has ran out of gas. they were fighting in long lines last night filling up cars,trucks, and as many gas cans as they could acting like they will never see gas again.

all the while i am just thinking "dudes i need to do my biweekly payday fill up". i watch where and how much i drive to save gas and any place i walk i get a chance. meanwhile nobody thinks here about the poor ppl stuck in the hurricanes and those forced far from their homes not knowing what to go back to. dh and i just looked at each other and did the best we could price wise for gas and ONLY filled up our cars for the next week and half-two weeks.

don't get me wrong i understand gas is expensive and necessary but my god these ppl literally panicked. i have not heard or seen any other word about this happening elsewhere in the country but its all the rage on local news.

i think instead of fighting over how much gas they are now rationing out we should all pray for ppl that are scared and confused. i don't know call me crazy but i am sure the next time i need gas in my car things will be back to normal.

thank for letting me get this off my chest.

kassia

Our local gas station has either run out of gas, or giving the appearance they have. They have half their pumps taped off. We think they did that so they would have gas to raise the price.

It's crazy!!!

We are in for some interesting times ladies and gents. Hold on to your hats cause it's gonna get much worse :(

I am surprised to hear that. Why is everyone so worried about running out of gas?? I'm pretty sure that even with the hurricane we will have plenty for the short term.
Sometimes people are just selfish and inconsiderate. Sad state of affairs.
I am always surprised that during a mandatory evacuation from a life threatening hurricane, people take 3 or more cars!!! How about leaving a little space on the road for people to actually get out!!!!!
elliemom

We are in for some interesting times ladies and gents. Hold on to your hats cause it's gonna get much worse :(

as my retired journalist dad says "can we say addiction!!!". its a very sad state of affairs and even worse that ppl in my city are only thinking of themselves and how this affects them. sure i am scared of paying high prices but the idea of the terror ppl are going through again with these type of storms makes me cry more so than having to do a little overtime to fill my gas tank.

kassia

Everyone was going crazy yesterday at lunch. All the guys were leaving to get gas. They were "crazed". On the way home all I saw was people lined up to get gas. I wanted to say "people calm down and go home".

My sister just went to get gas this morning and it was $4.04/gallon and yesterday morning it was $3.66/gallon. The station she went to had a limit of 5 gallons.

This was the same reaction when Katrina went through.

Doesn't make sense does it? There's possibly going to be a gas shortage, so let's all fill up not just our tanks, but extra cans to make sure their IS a shortage!

Luckily, I'd already bought my gas for the month (which is about how long it lasts for me) a few days ago, so I'll just sit back and wait.

I don't remember when it was, but it was right when gas prices jumped up because of some shortage. The day it was anounced, there were long lines of people waiting to fill up...in big, gas-guzzling vehicles, with the engine running! I think some of them must have burned as much fuel waiting as they saved in money.

I thought it was rather funny a day or two latter when it was discovered that there was no need to raise the prices, and that gas stations had done so preemptively, so were made to lower them again.

We were at baseball practice last night and one of the other mothers told me her husband called her from Grand Rapids, Mi(we live near Ann Arbor,Mi) and there were a couple stations charging over $6.00 per gallon and people were lined up for that price! Shortly before she told me that I heard on the radio that the government is asking people to take pictures of signs if they feel gas gouging is occuring and email the pictures to your state attorney general because they will be prosecuting to the full limit of the law anyone who gouges.

I noticed the jump starting Thursday afternoon so we filled up @ $3.49, 24 hours later gas stations throughout N&S Carolina were rationing, totally out, and charging between $4-$5 a gallon. Craziness!

Hang on to your receipts, too

I live in South Carolina, and the gas prices here & in nearby Charlotte, NC went up between $ .60 to $1.00 yesterday. Our local government officials have gone on the news to tell everyone to save their gas receipts if it was purchased at the higher rates. Stations that are caught will be fined for price gauging. I'm sure they can do this in any state, just an idea if you did end up paying higher prices yesterday.

We were at baseball practice last night and one of the other mothers told me her husband called her from Grand Rapids, Mi(we live near Ann Arbor,Mi) and there were a couple stations charging over $6.00 per gallon and people were lined up for that price! Shortly before she told me that I heard on the radio that the government is asking people to take pictures of signs if they feel gas gouging is occuring and email the pictures to your state attorney general because they will be prosecuting to the full limit of the law anyone who gouges.

DH and I were watching Fox News this morning about all the weather related chaos, and I heard that same thing about gathering info, saving receipts and taking photos of stations price gouging ~ some have no shame!!! Holy CRAP ~ $6/gal? it is just shy of $4/gal here in Vegas, down in the last month or so from $4.50/gal so I feel fortunate. I'm beginning to regret our vehicle choices right now though, except for the safety factor (CRAZY drivers here). neither of our vehicles get over 14 mpg! :eek: but I work in the construction industry and trucks are a must most of the time...

thoughts and prayers are with all who have been in the path of Ike!

Well the day after all the panic and chaos at the gas pump, our gas prices did not go up! YAY!
The gas stations were back to normal and what do you know, the sky did not fall:D

Well the day after all the panic and chaos at the gas pump, our gas prices did not go up! YAY!
The gas stations were back to normal and what do you know, the sky did not fall:D

our prices are still up there. not as bad as some are saying here but at least 7-11 stayed at 3.71 most other places are 3.99

kassia

Our prices went up from about $3.60 to 3.99. But yesterday we went driving a bit north of here to the mountains to pick apples (yum!). On the way there, the price at one station was $3.99. On the way home a few hours later the same station had changed its price to $4.25! I couldn't believe it.

I drove by a couple of stations yesterday. A few days ago, I had filled up at $3.79 a gallon. Yesterday, prices were $3.99 and $4.09 (or something just above $4).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.