I Don't Know Which Supplements to Take Anymore

I know using supplements can be confusing, this article should never be a factor in your decision. The data was self reported meaning people could lie or be mistaken. The study drew no conclusions about why the women died. It could be a coincidence. Or they had other risk factors for heart disease that weren't reported. This study will encourage researchers to look more closely with more scientifically vigorous testing. Don't worry about a single study or a Yahoo! Shine article.

Sent from my iPad using CatheForum

I know how you feel! I finally decided to get off everything and try to get it all through a healthy diet. The only thing I take now is vitamin D. I get my calcium and potassium from blackstrap molassess and a ton of minerals and B vitamins from Kal's Nutritional yeast. I eat a ton of fish and nuts so I have the omegas covered. I've increased the variety of vegetables and fruit that I eat and have added a bit more dairy, too (Kefir after a workout). I think it's better to get your nutrition from whole foods...I think the pathways are critical, but that's just me.:p

Like Nancy, I take very little in the way of supplements anymore either. Where I live I get plenty of vit. D from sunlight. I do take fish oil. It helps me not to be too hungry. I also take magnesium sometimes when I've had dairy, it helps absorb the calcium and prevents constipation from cheese. If I'm sick, I take vit. c and zinc. But I don't take them all the time. I am also trying to get everything from my diet. I am drinking green smoothies a lot these days. I like them and they fill me up.

After taking various health and nutrition classes at a local university, I would recommend not taking ANY supplements and get your nutrients through natural, unprocessed foods.

Man-made is not as good as nature-made.

The only supplement I take is B12 as I am a vegetarian. That is it. I don't believe in supplements at all. Better to eat well. I just don't understand this isolating of nutrients. I believe in the holistic approach. The whole plant and not just one isolated part of it. Who really knows what is in a given supplement. Talk about "processed"!

Hum my doctor was putting me on calcium, vit d, and folsomax.. I read up on falsomax it isnt worth it.. It actualy puts a synthetic barier around the bone giving no calcium or vit d to the bone causing it to b more brittle. I got a second opinion and he said vit d and calcium is all hed recommend and funny thing is doing cathes wo i had increased bone density in a yr. Also i been eating tons of spinach. Im only 43.
My next thing i want to learn more about is bio identical hormones for when that time comes, I dont want to takes premurine, or estrogene mad by man. Yet not even sure what bio identical hormones will do either. It is all confusing.

A friend of mine's husband was told (upon finding out that he had cancer) to IMMEDIATELY go off ALL supplements. The oncologist told him that the supplements feed the cancer. Made me take a second look, that's for sure! I do take Vit. D & Vit. C & I take Cosamin ASU for my joints.

And yet some of the most well known holistic doctors, Dr. Weil, Dr. Mercola, Dr. Furhman, etc., recommend several supplements ( not calcium though).

Last edited:
And yet some of the most well known holistic doctors, Dr. Weil, Dr. Mercola, Dr. Furhman, etc., recommend several supplements ( not calcium though).

Yes.
My dog survived cancer without chemo, using holistic support via diet & herbal supplements.
I'm working with a holistic vet right now to help treat my youngest dog's environmental allergies.

Fit44-

Can you please let me know if you find anything that works?!!!!! My dog has major skin problems and I'm going out of my mind!!! I would love to hear suggestions, both my dog and I are tired of going to the vet!!!!

Yes.
My dog survived cancer without chemo, using holistic support via diet & herbal supplements.
I'm working with a holistic vet right now to help treat my youngest dog's environmental allergies.

That is exactly what got me interested in holistic medicine. My dog got cancer 8 yrs ago (only 7 yrs old), it was too far along to cure him, I only wish I knew back then what I know now. So glad your dog had a happier outcome. :)

Fit44-

Can you please let me know if you find anything that works?!!!!! My dog has major skin problems and I'm going out of my mind!!! I would love to hear suggestions, both my dog and I are tired of going to the vet!!!!

Have you seen a holistic vet?
My personal preference is to avoid steroid treatment. I know it is expensive, but if you can find a holistic vet to work with you, it is well worth the investment.

I can tell you my experience, and hopefully my experience will help guide you.
My male mastiff has been chewing his feet beginning spring. He had several scrape test to determine if he has yeasty paws, and they always come up bacterial. Skin problems can be the result of food, environmental allergies- or both.

The majority of my vet's practice is dealing with animals with severe allergies, and the first line of defense is a raw diet. She said not everyone is on board with it, but it is what she recommends.

I raised my dog on a prey model raw diet (meat, bones, organs -no veggies or grains).
I paid for a blood test to see if my guy was allergic to any of the protein sources I've been feeding him, and we ruled out food allergies. I haven't tested for specific environmental allergies yet. My husband and I are discussing what we are going to do next. The vet has given me a few options.
I'm pretty lucky that his allergies are limited to his paws, and not the rest of his body. We are currently discussing Chinese herbs and bicom therapy.

My vet said in her experience, allergy injections rarely work and when they do, it is very short lived. I just read a post on the boxer forum from someone who tried injections, spent a fortune, and the allergies are back.

Some things to help with environmental allergies... raw honey from a local bee farm (not honey from grocery store) and give him some everyday. It must be raw honey. Bees collect the pollen in our area and by feeding him the raw honey it will help build up an immunity to the pollen in the air.

NO vaccinations until the allergies are under control. Allergies put a lot of stress on the immune system and vaccinating will only magnify the problem. If you are concerned, you can titer, but if your dog has had puppy vacs and one year booster, you are good for at least 3 years and by year 3, you can run titers to see if the dog has the antibody serum.

The majority of our immune system resides in the gut. My vet prescribed digestive enzymes and proviable DC probiotics to boost my dog's immune system. Fish oil is a must for a dog with skin problems. Salmon oil or fish capsules. I give New Chapters Whole Mega fish oil to my dogs and myself.
I'm also giving him a natural antihistamine that also detoxes the liver. It's through a prescription vet only.

Frequent baths. I give full body bath once a week and foot soaks 3 days in a row (when feet flare up), then every other day with Malaseb shampoo.
I wipe his feet every time he comes in from outside.

She gave me calendula gel for his feet when they are irritated.
Amazon.com: Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Calendula Gel for Burns, Scrapes and Skin Irritations, 2.6-Ounce Tubes (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care
I recently found this salve that I'm going to try.
DermaPaw

Gosh, I hope some of my experience has helped you. I know how frustrating this is.

That is exactly what got me interested in holistic medicine. My dog got cancer 8 yrs ago (only 7 yrs old), it was too far along to cure him, I only wish I knew back then what I know now. So glad your dog had a happier outcome. :)

I'm sorry about your fur baby.
We feel pretty darn lucky with our guy. I count my blessings, he has been cancer free 2 years. :)

Yes.

Obviously I'm not a fur baby :) but I won't be without a few of my choice supplements either.

As far as cancer and feeding cancer or tumors, sugar is a main player in that arena. Baking soda is helpful in neutralizing an overabundance of sugar in the body or to restore a more alkaline state over acidity. Eh....I promised never to go into this stuff again. Anyway, I do so hope your fur babies do well!

Obviously I'm not a fur baby :) but I won't be without a few of my choice supplements either.

As far as cancer and feeding cancer or tumors, sugar is a main player in that arena. Baking soda is helpful in neutralizing an overabundance of sugar in the body or to restore a more alkaline state over acidity. Eh....I promised never to go into this stuff again. Anyway, I do so hope your fur babies do well!

A few supplements I gave my boxer for cancer do not have human studies to back them up, but there were several animal studies. The studies found these particular food extracts helped stop cancer cells from spreading, and promoted death of the cells. Broccoli extract is one I used.

Not all supplements are bad, some have very good uses. The key is to know what you are taking, and why.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.