I am so happy to be fit when...

murph

Cathlete
was thinking this the other day: I can bring half the groceries in my trunk in in one trip; I can lift full pails of water in one arm; I can clean my big whirlpool tub by leaning over it--supported on one hand ; I can scrub grout for hours without a lower back pull; I can run through the airport carrying luggage; I can fall off my horse and get back up....
So many times--it occurs to me: this is what it's for...functional fitness. When are you happy to be fit?

Hey Murph!

Hmmmm, let's see:

I fill a large plastic trash container up with water to water my plants and I carry it from the from the front of the house to the back of the house! WATER is HEAVY!!!

I get the greatest Bicep workout holding my grandaughter who seems to get heavier & heavier when I am giving her a bottle. Those muscles need to be strong to hold a lil' one for 2-20 minute segments!

I use to carry 40 pound bags of salt to the basement til we moved here and have GREAT water so we don't need the softener salt anymore.

Most of all, I am happy to be fit just being able to do a CATHE tape! That is fit! I'm not so sure if I fell off a horse, I would get up as fast as you, Murph! ;-)

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

...I run up a bunch of steps on purpose and don't get winded! Like Rolling Acres mall, Deb H! Those ones by the Kauffman side! That's the best mall to walk in...two levels and lots of steps!

....lifting heavy boxes. I guess lifting heavy stuff gives me the biggest thrill.

Well, after moving from a second story apartment and all of the up and down that involved, lifting heavy boxes, etc...I was surprised that my upper body had no soreness...so something is working well, ladies. My feet were killing me but that was because I was on them all day...I guess they haven't made an exercise for those muscles yet!!! But, it does feel good to be strong and functionally active. As far as falling off a horse and getting back on...I haven't tried that yet...but am thinking it is time to start riding again too. It has been a few years.

Kathleen

. . . I can change the 40-lb. water jug at our office's water cooler as casually as if I were changing a roll of TP, with the one lone male in our office having a conniption in the background.

Annette

I can keep up with my kids. Nah, I can run circles around my kids! I am strong and happy and powerful and content. I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day and didn't have the foggiest idea about how much more enjoyable life is when you treat your body and your soul as precious and deserving ofloving care!

B:)BBI

Very timely!

I was just thinking yesterday how glad I was to be fit. My husband and I spent the day taking out a large evergreen tree and a large ( 5 foot tall, 25 years old ) evergreen bush from our back yard. It was a lot of work, especially digging and chopping out the stumps on these things. I was so grateful for being fit enough that I could do this project that we really needed to get done, and I wasn't injuring myself or pooping out before it was time to quit for the day. ( The tree stump is still in the ground, but it has a nice trench around it, and the bush stump is out. :) ) I was really wiped out at the end of the day yesterday, but I feel fine today. My left shoulder is a little bit sore, but that's it. Considering the hours of hard labor we put in, I'm feeling really good about how my body is taking care of me! :)

Just a note for any would-be landscapers: THINK about the long haul in your projects. That nice evergreen looks good now, but in 25 years will it grow into the deck and the nice shade tree, requiring some poor slobs to spend their Labor Day slaving away in the hot sun? :) Sorry! I couldn't resist! :)

It's good to be FIT! :)

ErinF

All day long i have reasons to notice my functional fitness ... riding a bike uphill, climbing the stairs... showing the guys at the gym how to do leg work...

but
i have to admit i love getting up in the morning and seeing my form in the in a distant mirror and noticing all those shadows that define my obliques and thinking, maybe i should cut back on the ab work!!?

:)

I am so happy to be fit when I can go out dancing with my husband and boogie all night without even working up a sweat. I was watching Tina Turner's big show on TV last night and I just had to get up and start moving. It also reminded me of how young I feel and the thread last week about being over 50. Hey--look at Tina! Look at her LEGS!! Last week I watched the Madonna concert, but she didn't have as many songs to get up and dance to--but I did have to try the squat leap-ups at the end to Celebration. At least one of my great reasons for staying fit is that I LOVE to dance. Always have, always will.

Hoisting 30# can litter containers into and out of my grocery cart.
Hauling 50# bags of bird seed to my car, then around my yard to fill all my feeders.
Having one of my colleagues tell me I look taller (better posture, I'm sure, vs. my non-work out slump days)
Feeling calmer when my students are aggravating because it seems like NOONE did their homework (I'm sure my morning workout was responsible for my state of relative calmness).

I love this thread! As a former couch potato and heavy smoker, I definitely know what it is like to be totally unfit. However, those days are long gone now that I work out with Cathe 6 days a week!

I live in a city (Boston), so I think that the times that I am the happiest about my fitness level are when my new husband and I pick a neighborhood to explore and then walk all day long, literally for hours, and I never get tired. I had one of my (sedentary, smoker, suburban) friends up to visit and she was tired out after a couple of miles of walking and sightseeing!

I also get a little thrill from flexing my arm and seeing bicep and tricep definition, I have to admit!

Shannon

I can haul a 5-gallon jug of water (approx. 40lbs) after cleaning fishtanks and take it out to the yard to water my plants.

The BIGGEST reason I'm happy is when my 10 year old daughter (80 lbs) or my 7 year old son (45 lbs) need a big old mama bear hug or a piggy back ride around the room and I can lift them off the ground and hold them in my arms for as long as they need me.

Lindy

This is a great thread! Running up stairs in my office building (or anywhere for that matter) and changing the water cooler jug in our office kitchen without any problems... these things make me happy I am fit! Also, seeing muscle definition without flexing! Gives me the biggest thrill! And when my husband said to me this weekend "check out those delts!" -- how cool!! :)

I put on a pair of slacks that I last wore three weeks ago and they're loose and lookin' pretty good ... :-cool

My teenager sees me headed upstairs to exercise and says "Wo, Mom, lookin' buff there..." (Double WOW!)

Hauling groceries six bags on each arm is no sweat :) ...

Hauling around my adorable but lazy 29-pound monster Bichon (a/k/a Mr. Perpetual Toddler) is no sweat...

My husband looks at me and is inspired to take better care of himself... (okay, well, this week anyway :))

I look at myself in the mirror and feel better and better about myself, inside and out, every day, because of the commitment I've made and followed to caring for myself.

Hey Murph, one comment, too --

Your thread is to me just a perfect reflection of what the whole Cathe Forums and Cathe fitness experience is like. I am amazed again and again at how enthusiastic, positive, optimistic, grounded, sensible and supportive our Forums group is. Thanks for starting this one -- a great thread!

Kathy S.

P.S. Everybody -- I haven't forgotten you guys -- I am slowly sending out rotations to everyone (all 200+ of you who have NEWLY requested them!) but it's slow going because I'm in the midst of changing e-mail addresses and e-mail programs, so I'm having to port over everyone's saved addresses. If you haven't heard from me today, you will be soon!

Great thread!! I am so happy to be fit (or at least on the way there) everytime I can pick up my 31/2 year old son and dance with him and twirl him around to his "favorite song" ..Standing Outside the Fire by Garth Brooks. I hope that I can keep picking him up to dance as long as he will let me which Im sure won't last too many more years :)

I was also happy to be fit so that I could pick up my Newfoundland puppy and get him outside to housebreak him! However he is now over 45 pounds and gaining by the day on his way up to as much as 150lb :-wow so I doubt I will be doing that any longer hehehe :)

Alison

Standing Outside the Fire

Alison, is my very favorite song. (That could be ano
ther thread.) (Along with Crystal Blue Persuasion....2/3 of the folks on this forum have not heard of that one.):)

Tonight I just had another reason to be happy to be fit: went to a trail-riders meeting wearing my flared jeans, cowboy boots and teeshirt.. felt pretty good about it all.

I easily lift the suitcase the airline put a "heavy" sticker on in my trunk. To the amazment of a couple guys standing there watching me.

RE: Standing Outside the Fire

You KNOW I've heard of it!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.