I am the Road Tripper from Uganda

LauraR

Cathlete
I thought that, with the blurb on the calendar, I’d take the chance to introduce myself to you ladies on the forum (at least those of you I haven’t met). I also want to put in a good word for my wonderful hubby, since he’s the reason I got to go on the Road Trip.

We do live in Uganda, but we are American, and we were actually planning to be back in the States last August. The chance of a Cathe Road Trip lining up with our being in the States is about one in a million, but it happened—the opportunity of a lifetime.

HOWEVER—when the announcement about the road trip came, I was out of the country—in Kenya—with no email or internet access. I would’ve never known about the trip until after it had sold out. But my wonderful husband saw the announcement and decided that I needed to go. Without my even knowing it, he got online, frantically typed out the registration form, and signed me up. With the 3-minute sell-out time, and a slow African internet connection, that was quite a feat. When I got home, he presented me with all the paperwork and said, “No arguments. You’re going.”

Living in Uganda, I don’t have the same fitness resources that I would here in the States. Cathe is my lifeline, along with you ladies here on the forum. Getting to meet her and so many of you was a treasure beyond words. My husband has always been supportive of my workouts, and this was a true display of how much he also values what Cathe means to me. He is wonderful, and I wanted all of you who hadn’t heard the story to get to hear it.

This truly was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me, so I won't be in the running for the type-off when the next Road Trip is announced. It was a wonderful experience, and I wish the best of luck to those of you who can go in the future.

DH's latest heroic move was to promise to do STS with me when it comes out. Three cheers for my DH!!

:)

Laura

hey Laura! So good to "see" you! It was great to meet you on the road trip and hear about your interesting life in Africa. Your DH is such a rockstar for getting you into the road trip, and promising to order STS for you - what a great catch you have!!! :D

Hugs From Texas

Laura:

I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet you during the Road Trip and enjoy breakfast with you Sunday morning at the diner. I am sorry that Gin and I were not able to have a Texas get-together before you left.

When are you returning to Africa? Will you have all the weights and equipment you need for STS? I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Hey sweetie! It was great meeting you in person at the roadtrip!!! Your hubby is definitely a keeper. I'm so glad you were able to come. :)

Hi Laura,

Isn’t that funny? I was looking at my RT picture yesterday and you are the first one that popped up on my PC (I still have to post my pictures, I can’t figure out how?) I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet you during the Road Trip! My DH and I are back in Germany (we are stationed in Grafenwoehr). My DD Alesia was wondering how you have been? Keep in touch!

Take care,
Belinda

P.S: How do I post the RT pitures on here? They are on my computer, I can't figure out how to get them on Cathe's website? Retrofit where are you? I need help!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid16930497

Hi Laura,

Great story! You know I was wondering about that. I was thinking 'whoa, members all the way from Uganda...that's true Cathe devotion!' And perfect RT timing. It was defintitely meant to be. I met a darling girl from Kenya while at grad school. She was so funny; used to tell me hilarious stories about elephants... :)

Hello, Laura!!!

It is so nice to hear from you!!! You made such an impression on me and I think of you often.

I hope to see you again on the next RT!!!

Blessings,
Denise :7

Hi Laura!
I also remember you from the road trip! It was such a pleasure talking to you then and ITA, your DH sounds like an absolute peach! Glad to hear you are doing well--

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Hi Laura!

I'm so glad I had the chance to meet you on the RT and enjoy our breakfast together at the diner. I see your pretty smiing face on my screen saver whenever the RT pictures pop up!:) Like Heather said, I am also so sorry we weren't able to have a Texas get together while you were here.
Your DH sounds like a true sweetie!
Take care!
Gin:)

Laura!!!!! How great to see you here!!!!!

Gosh, I wish we'd heard this story on the Road Trip -- we would DEFINITELY have awarded your amazing DH some kind of prize for making sure you were able to join us! He sounds like an awesome fellow, and it's so nice to see that you appreciate each other as you clearly do.

Don't be a stranger -- stay in touch with us and we can all enjoy the STS frenzy together. :) We'll miss you on this RT, but perhaps on the next one after that you AND your hubby can come. We would all love to meet him!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

Waves to all you wonderful RT friends! :)

Gin and Heather--I'm sorry too, that we didn't have a chance to get together while I was in TX! Our furlough schedule there was absolute craziness. I'm so glad things have slowed down for a while for me now.

We plan to fly back to Uganda mid-May.

Heather--I'll definitely need more equipment for STS. A squat rack is totally out of the question--no way to ship it. But if DH is going to do it with me, we'll need another step and ball. And we'll both need those new slanted risers. Fortunately, I already have some fairly heavy dumbbells and barbell plates, so I think we're good on the actual weights.

Tah, tah, girls.

You are all an inspiration!

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.