Hydroxycut?

No and I would not bother with it

Hydroxycut is illegal in Canada and I am thinking there is a reason for that. While I like Oxygen magazine in other respects, it drives me crazy how they start what looks to be an article and then ends up being an advertisement.

It is loaded with caffeine, ephedra and some other chemical. I imagine it would give myself the jitters and others things like heart attacks. I believe there have been deaths associates with the ECA stack which is in essence what Hydroxycut is all about.

To me, hydroxycut is all about the "quick fix" which most of us on this forum know is not the way to go.

My apologies if I sound aggressive about this but it bugs me when fitness magazines promote all those supplements. Being fit to me is all about being natural, eating properly and exercising regularly. To me, Hydroxycut and steroids are in the same league.

As well, I think Marla Duncan looks dehydrated in her "after" picture and for God's sake, I am sure she is still pregnant in the "before" picture. As for Brandy Hale, the other one they are promoting Hydroxycut for, her really poor eating habits after an injury are to blame for her 30 lb. weight gain because most of us that have injured ourselves may gain 5 or 10 but not 30!

Kim

Hello, I had tried Hydroxycut for 1 month and I did notice a "burning" sensation that made me feel like I was "burning fat", and it made me sweat three times as much as usual. I did have to drink ALOT more water and I only took 1 pill a day, so I didn't follow the recommendations on the bottle (up to 3 a day) and couldn't tell you if it works or not. I can tell you that if I would have taken it three times a day I probably would have felt like or had a heart-attack because with just one a day my heart kind of fluttered. I'm not a caffine drinker so it could have been that, but who knows. I guess if you stick with a "fat-burner" long enough, you will lose something, but I would just recommend changing your diet and adding a little more cardio. Good luck on your decision and I'm sorry if this was a disappointing note for ya! : )

If Ephedra (also known as Ma Huang) is one of the ingredients, I'd avoid it like the plague. From what I've read, it's an extremely dangerous ingredient. Also, I agree that it's tacky for a magazine to disguise advertisements as articles (other magazines tout products in "articles", but some of them indicate that it IS an ad). Even if Hydroxycut didn't have the dangerous ingredients in it, I'd refrain from using it on principle. (How gullible do they think readers are, showing Marla Duncan 7-8 months pregnant in her before photo! I've never been pregnant, but doesn't a woman automatically lose about 20 pounds when the baby and the afterbirth come out?)
Professional body builders and fitness contestants are often not good role models when it comes to diet and "healthy living", since they go to extremes to have a specific look for contests.

I use a product like Hydroxycut called Xenedrine. I use it primarily for early morning workouts to help wake me up. I tried to drink coffee but it upsets my stomach before a run. I am not going to say it helps to burn more fat or anything, but it certainly helps me put more intensity to my workout. I do not get jittery or anything. I have never had a problem with thermogenics. I did take Hydroxycut for a short period of time and it did completely cut my appetite. It also made it hard for me to sleep at night even if the last time I took it was at 10 am. I am not saying that thermogenics can't be harmful, but they never caused me a problem. I don't take it all the time though either. If I take it everyday for a month, I make sure I take a solid week off. On the days I oversleep, I don't take it all. This is just purely my opinion. I guess you will have to chose for yourself if you want to try it.

Take care!
Christine

There is a woman at my gym who started taking a different drug but with similarities to Hydroxycut. She fell to the floor in the gym with a brain hemorage and had to be carried to the hospital and have a permanent shunt put into her brain. The doctor told her that the brain thing had unknowingly been with her all her life but remained dormant until she started taking the "stuff." And her doctor directly sites the fat burner as making it "explode" and almost kill her. It took her over a year to recover from two brain surgeries and a ton of medicines that made her swell up from head to toe. Now she has to limit her activities. She comes to my power stretch class but can't do anything where her head is below her waist. She can only walk for her cardio and must keep all her weightlifting in the low-weight, hi-rep category. Needless to say, I won't be trying ANYTHING like the stuff she tried.

I'm in the medical field and wouldnt touch the stuff. It too bugs me how Oxygen magazine starts out an "article" with what seems to be good info then ends it with an advertisement. The same magazine that tells you that caffeine is bad supports an ephedra containing "supplement" in the same issue....things that make you say "hmmmmmmm".

Stacy

Hydroxycut

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and input. I do have a subscription to Oxygen and that is where I have been reading about it. Isnt Oxygen distributed from Canada??? Odd that Hydroxycut is illegal there. And I do agree that Marla Duncan was pregnant in her before photo. Brandy Hale is almost comical with her looks she is giving in her photos and no makeup on. It doesnt even look like the same person to me.

After reading what everyone has to say about Hydroxycut, I dont think I will take it now! Thanks for waking me up to reality. I guess I was getting influenced by the articles in Oxygen. I took something called DymaBurn yesterday and it made me feel odd and tingly.

I lost all of my post-pregnancy weight about 2 yrs ago and within the last 6 months or so I have had so many life changes that I have gained about 8 pounds and I am sick of it! I have a family wedding at the end of August and I want to lose 8# by then. I know that drugs are not the way to do it because I never took any to lose my post pregnancy weight. I am just frustrated with myself for gaining the weight!

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Laura C.

RE: Oxygen distributed from Canada

Yes I believe Oxygen is distributed from Canada, however, Hydroxycut is illegal here - go figure. You can read about it in Canada but cannot get it here, which is fine by me. I have seriously considered emailing the people at Oxygen but cannot seem to find an email address for them. For many months, I did not even buy the mag and in fact, had let my subcription lapse because of it. But then, I broke down and bought it because my fitness magazine craving was just too strong. I guess it is like many things in life - take what you want and leave the rest, so now I try to ignore (or completely rip out) those offensive ads.

I know how you feel about the weight gain thing. I too have put on about 5 to 8 unwanted pounds in the last 6 months or so - new man, lots of great food and wine - you get the picture. But before it goes up to 30 like Brandy Hale in Oxygen, it is time for me to get back to no junk, maybe a glass of wine a week and just eating properly like I really know how to do. I did not put the weight on in a week and so I know it won't go away in a week.
If you have a wedding to go to in August, that should leave you enough time to easily lose 5 - 8 lbs. in a safe manner without any drugs or dangerous supplements. Some things I am trying is to not eat in the night (which in itself could mean 5 lbs. in a month or 6 weeks). Hopefully, this will help some of my tighter jeans loosen up again. Increase your cardio a bit and really try to stay away from "empty calories" like chips, cookies, cakes, pop, etc. You probably know the drill.

Good luck.

Kim

Kathryn

I just had to reply to your comment about a woman losing 20 lbs after giving birth.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Well, so did I! But, just my luck, I GAINED 5 lbs. No one believed me!

I retained major water when I was pregnant and after giving birth I literally swelled up like a balloon (one of my friends passed by my hospital room because she didn't recognize me.)

The good news is that I DID lose 25 lbs of fluid in about 3 days.

Hi Laura!
I've been debating whether or not to respond to this thread because of all the negative response you've gotten. Finally I decided that I should just go ahead and share my experience to give you as much info as possible while making your decision.

First off, I want to state that I didn't use HC as a *quick fix*.
I have been working out consistently since May 16th of last year.
During this 13 months, I've worked out 205 days. That isn't just the number of workouts, only days , some days had 2 workouts. Also not included is the fact I work at a barn once a week (major upper body workout!) and ride a couple of times a week (great lower body workout!and believe it or not ~ cardio too!)
I have been working on my eating habits as well. They've been changing a little more slowly than I hoped for, but I'm getting there.
Anyhoo...all that info is not to brag about myself in anyway, just the facts of my program! :)

In the first 11 months of my program, I didn't lose a pound. Not one! I do take resposibility for that because I know there were many days where I ate back the calories I had worked off. Unfortunately, I even gained about 5-6 pounds over the holidays when I quit working out (Thanksgiving thru New Year) and ate everything in sight!
New Year, new motivation, resolution, all that. I decided to get serious and do this right! My 30th birthday is in Septmeber and it's time to get cracking!
January 1, I started again. Still, even with the workouts and much better eating, very little happened. Oh sure, I toned up and I do have muscle definition under the fat, but the scale and measuring tape refused to move but a 1/4" or a half a pound!
In April I began looking at supplements, bars, etc. I started using Balance bars for the occasional meal replacement, but held off on any other supplement.
Finally in May, I took the plunge. I bought a bottle of Hydroxycut. I am taking a much smaller dose than recommended on the bottle, my max in a day is only 4. I am very concerned about side effects,etc and am using caution in taking this, IMO.This is also the only bottle I plan on ever taking. When it's gone, I'm done.
Okay, to get to the results....since May 1st I have lost 6 pounds and 6 inches (2 each from my thighs, butt and waist). I know that isn't a rapid weight loss by any means and I can't even say for sure if the HC has anything to do with it. I just know it's the only thing that has changed in those 6 weeks from the previous year.
And I will freely admit any of the positive effects I think I've felt could be all in my head! ;)
I have had more energy and been able to workout with more intensity. It did make me sweat more and I'm drinking a ton of water. It also curbed my appetite and made it easier to be good with portions.
I didn't have any sleeplessness, shaking, dizziness, rapid pulse, etc.

Okay, I'm sorry. That is probably way more info than you wanted! I tend to be an information overloader. I just wanted to share my experience as one more parcel of info for you while making your decision.

Good luck in your weight loss and fitness goals!

Becky

RE: Don't be sorry for giving your opinion

Hi Becky

You should feel free to give your opinion whenever you like. I think it took quite bit of guts to give your opinion given the previous posts on the matter.

Aside from the risk associated with taking Hydroxycut is the annoyance that a lot of us here have with magazines who try to disguise their ads as articles.

I am glad to hear that you had no ill side effects and thanks for your side of the story.

Kim

RE: Don't be sorry for giving your opinion

I have taken Hydroxycut and currently Xenedrine. While Hydroxycut didn't do anything for me weight wise. I had no ill side affects. None of the gitters and all that others get. And I was taking two, twice a day. Currently take Xenedrine, which I LOVE. It works and again NO ill side affects at all. While not everyone can take these things, the ones who can and get results from them should speak up.

That is all I have to say.

Ok, now I feel like I should respond here too. I am taking HC and have been for the past month. First off I would tend to believe that the majority who do try this are striving for the **quick fix**. I believe that because we live in such an abusive society that anything good for you can, and will be abused. I have taken this product after research on my own with some very careful restrictions and for the sole purpose to help in aiding me with my weight loss goals. I am only taking this for a very short time period and then that is it, no more. I am also very sensitive to medications, herbs, etc. ,so my dosage for anything is child size. My dosage for HC is two for morning two for afternoon that is it. I have not had one ounce of side effects with this dosage but have had wonderful results. Weight loss, (slowly, but consistently) it has curbed my appetite in a good way. I am not obessing over food, and portion control is much more of a habit now. I **don't** use this in place of exercise or good diet, but to kick start and aide me in the process. I am a runner and an advanced exerciser working out six days a week, so this is **NOT** a quick fix for me. To give an example there are many who drink alcohol, coffee and soft drinks, while they are not bad per say, if you choose to have them in moderation, but tend to be very abused by society. Let's face it food/exercise can be an unhealthy addiction if used wrong and abused also. Herbs and suplements are **natural** drugs, no matter how you slice it, but they can be a good thing if not abused. So I think question to ask yourself here is, are you using them responsibily or abusing them. Also I don't understand something. I have read all the ads in OXYGEN and M&FHERS and have really gained some good insights and tips that were given about diet and exercise from Marla Duncan. I applaud them for pushing proper exercise and diet rather than ,take this and you don't have to do anything healthy. Yes, the ads can look a little cheesy, but I think they are being quite helpful and responsible in how they are presenting their info. Not that they need to make it a six page add, but their info seems pretty right on, very informative. Just thought I would also give my opinion as someone who has not just read the ads, but has given HC a shot. While this suplement may not be for everyone, we all need to hear both sides of the story first and research ourselves before we make a healthy decision one way or another. Thanks for your time and for reading this very long reply, blessings, Lori Darling ;-)

RE: No and I would not bother with it

Hi guys,
I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can get Hydroxycut in Canada but the ingredients are different than the US version. I think the Canadian version is milder and doesn't contain Ephedra/Ma Huang. I'm not sure if it's still as bad as the US version but you may want to look into that. Hope that helps!

I was just thinking about this again---doesn't the name of this product imply that it makes you lose water weight (hydrogen + oxygen = hydroxy = h20 = water?). Isn't it more for getting "cut" by losing water weight right before competition?

I have also been excercising consistently for 18 months. About 6 times per week with Firm and Cathe tapes. My weight has not budged. After reading articles on thermogenics, I decided to try HC. I have been on it for one month. The max I am taking now is 3pills three times/day, without any side-effects. It has decreased my appetite substantially and it gives me more energy during my workouts. However, after reading all these threads I'm thinking that I will cut down my dosage to 2/per day before workouts. I've lost five lbs. in three weeks. I appreciate everyones input and opinion regarding HC.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-01 AT 11:54PM (Est)[/font][p]This is all very interesting. To those who exercised for long periods, but didn't lose any weight/inches, I wonder if you've ever kept a food journal?

I poo-pooed this idea for a long time, but 8 months after taking up running and not losing a pound, I decided to give it a try and oh my goodness, I couldn't believe how much I was actually eating! No wonder I wasn't losing any weight. As soon as I started the journal, counting calories and omitting the "late night snacks" I lost about a pound a week for 6 weeks.

I also have a question for the product users:

1) Do you think the food portion control a temporary thing? Since your appetite is suppressed by this product, I wonder if you could still eat the small portions once you stop?

It seems the ones who are using Hydroxycut are using it on a temporary basis. Could those who are using this product report back to us after discontinuing this product? I'd really like to know.

Good questions!
First off, yes I was very aware of my food/calorie intake and admit it was too much. Even if I did great all week, I was usually blowing it on the weekend. Amazingly enough, 2 bad days can sabotage 5 good ones! :(
However since early May, along with the HC I've gotten much more disciplined with my portions. I was going to try the M&F Hers Emergency diet but just couldn't. It did give me great guidance for portions,etc though.

For me, having a mild appetite suppressant effect is helping me develop a better grasp on how much I should be eating at one time. It's taking me over 6 weeks to use bottle of HC (I have about a week left)My hope is that will have helped develop a new habit!

I will be happy to check back in once the HC is gone to see where I'm at. I am curious for my own knowledge to see if the HC really did help or if it was all in my head and my hard work! :)

Becky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.