How sore should we be?

groundhog

Cathlete
Just wondering...for those of us who are "seasoned" exercisers, how sore should we expect to be after doing a "new" tape, to know that it was a "shock" to the body?? I am always expecting to "not be able to walk" or "move" the day after a newbie, but usually I am just a little sore (is that enough?) Love to hear your responses :7

As a seasoned exerciser I would hate to "not be able to walk"...:)...although that has happened to me after some marathons I have run!!! I know P90X got me a little sore in some areas and I did expect that. I do believe that is enough. I have found soemtimes I seem to loose my concentration and you get less out of a workout that way and then not even sore. I finished my P90X rotation and decided to do Cathe's Slow & Heavy this week and YEOW....my chest hurt the worst and then my shoulders, biceps and even glutes!!...just my experience...:)...Carole

Hi,

good question, I've wondered about that myself sometimes. I consider myself a pretty seasoned exerciser too, and I don't get sore very easily. I too was wondering if I'm working hard enough, since some people seem to get sore much easier. It seems to me like getting sore varies from person to person just like everything else related to exercise. And most importantly, I do seem to get great results (THANK YOU, Cathe!).

I have noticed that instead of being excessively sore, I often feel a certain "tiredness" in my body after tough workouts. Also, surprising things can suddenly get my muscles sore, though like you described, not anything like "not being able to walk". Like the previous poster said, concentration does play a big role there, some days you have it, some days you just can't quite get there...

Hope this helped!

Maria

After 15 years of serious weight training, it takes a heck of a lot for me to feel any soreness. Really the only 2 body parts that get sore anymore are my chest (b/c if I ever miss a w/o that's the one I'll skip) & my legs (b/c whenever I really push myself it's w/my leg w/o).

However I agree w/Maria re. feeling tired after a tough w/o. My Sunday mornings are always reserved for my leg & shoulder w/o. So I start w/40 minutes of cardio, jump right into legs (squats, lunges, presses, curls, extensions & calve raises), & from there into shoulders. Takes about 2 hours & after I'm exhausted. Boy do I sleep well on Sunday nights.

It's funny that this question comes up today since I just finished addressing this topic with one of my new training clients. She was concerned that she wasn't really sore after our last session (we have only had 3 so far). Of course I understand her concern -- who wants to pay for a trainer and not get results! But the truth is that you don't have to be sore in order to get great results. Here is some information I found online (www.bodybuilding.com and www.thefactsaboutfitness.com):

Q: Does soreness mean growth?
A: The reality is that soreness is a very poor indicator if muscle growth is occurring. If you work at a level that demonstrates overload you will cause muscle growth. In fact, muscle soreness on a consistent basis can be a sign of doing too much and leading you down a path of overtraining. Many top athletes train without any desire to experience muscle soreness as it impedes their ability to perform. Research has shown that the body usually only becomes sore if a movement is new or the loading is excessive.

I rarely get sore anymore -- unless, of course, I switch up my training.

Shonie

I guess I am a freak, cuz I get sore almost every time I work out assuming my weights are high enough...

Shonie, this is great info for me, since I rarely get sore unless I do an intense lower or upperbody work. I thought I needed to work harder. Thanks for the input.:)

Great question! I have been a regular exerciser for well over 10 years and I still like it when I feel my muscles 'singing' to me. The more time passes the less I feel soreness and sometimes go weeks without it and then whoa I'll hear them singing again. PUB always gives me some soreness. I teach fitness classes 3X/week and know that when I'm doing extra work on choreography I'll hear from my muscles. Today my back is 'singing' to me and I like it!!!:) }( :)

Take Care
Laurie

I did PUB yesterday and I do feel that "soreness" not where I am disabled, just tender and I feel tired. I hit it hard this week...trying to wake up "sleeping muscles"... I did plb,pub,me,kp&c and tommarow will be boot camp. I like how laurie likes it when her muscles "sing" to her..funny but true..just wanna know something is going on in there..cmon she-ra like muscles come on out!!

You really are hitting it hard this week, that's quite a line up, awesome work!! I tend to work my upper body more than my lower as I like my legs and find that if I work lower body too much my jeans fit too tight in the thighs but you have inspired me to pull out PLB again and get my legs 'singing' by early next week.
Enjoy your BootCamp tomorrow!!!:)

Take Care
Laurie

Groundhog..

Are you doing a weight workout every single day?? Looks like all of em are back to back. Was that your plan?

Mon- Muscle endurance
Tues- Kick punch Crunch
Wed- PUB
Thurs-PLB
Fri- Boot Camp (I consider this one more cardio)

It was my plan to up the weight work this week, yes, mostly the intensity, trying to get the scale to move..have lost a pound since I started more intense workouts (in the last two weeks, without even trying, which is a miracle for me)
:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.