How many calories do you eat a day?

penguinchik

Cathlete
Hi There, I know that everyone's caloric needs are different, but I was just wondering about how many calories you all eat.

I am asking because ever since I've been doing Cathe (used to do the FIRM), I am bingeing frequently. While FIRMing I had the right balance and was able to lose weight slowly. I am now trying to maintain, but am having a hard time figuring out how much I can eat in a day without gaining. According to my heartrate monitor (which I know is only an estimate), I am burning an average of 600 calories each workout. Some days it's more (like today was 750) and some days it's less, but I've really been working out intensely, so the days below 600 are few. I'm 5'8" and 140 lb. I wear a size 4 (sometimes smaller depending), so I have a good bit of muscle.

I guess I'm just wondering what a ballpark number would be for me to maintain. I thought maybe 2000, but even then I find myself bingeing after a few days. It's not emotional eating. You know that feeling when your body just wants food? Basically the only unclean food I eat would be a 150 calorie treat once a day. When I'm bingeing it's on all good foods, just a lot of it.

So, can you share with me what you all do? I think I remember reading that Jai (is that how she spells it?) eats 2500 cals a day. Now I know she's nothing but muscle (amazing body!), but do any of you eat that much? Thanks so much!
--Penguin :)

I eat around 2700-3000 calories a day and am 5'7 and 137lbs and workout 6 days a week pretty hard. For me to lose I usually cut it to 2500 calories a day, but definitely maintain a size 6 with about 2700 calories. I have found that I need that amount to feel good and not hungry all the time. Everybody is different,but personally I think that a lot of people are not eating enough and then end up bingeing.

Susan

How many am I suppose to eat...well about 2500 also, but I have been eating around 1800-2000. I am having a hard time getting past 2000, but in the winter time, I know I just may hit 3000 easily.

Charlotte~~

I was maintaining my weight eating around 2,000 to 2,300 calories per day at 95 - 97lbs. 5'3". I think a lot has to do with what you eat too.

Susan C.M.

I eat about 1600-2000 a day depending on how many calories I burn with my workouts. I've noticed though that as fearful as I was eating more calories, I think there is definately something to be said for this "zigzagging" of calories subject that's been on this forum lately.
I think that I've noticed some good gains just adding some calories to my diet every 3rd day or so.
But I never go hungry. When I'm hungry, I eat.
Carolyn

Wow! Thank you ladies!! I am so happy to hear that you are eating that much and maintaining! That makes my day! I knew I must not have been eating enough, but it's hard to get out of the weight loss mentality. That explains so much. I have felt so out of control for the past few months since I started going really intense with Cathe. It is amazing the calories that we burn with her workouts. I swear it's like a drug. The more I do the workouts, the more I look forward to those intense blasts where my heartrate sometimes gets to 176. I crave it! I know you all know what I mean. I am going to start allowing myself to eat more and not feel guilty about it. Thanks so very much!!!

Ok, I have to respond to this one. How are you eating over 2000 calories a day and losing or maintaining. I feel like I need to cut down to 1500 to lose anything and I just can't do it. I wish I could eat that many calories and lose...what's wrong with me??

Tina

Tina,
There is probably nothing wrong with you. A lot has to do with what you eat and when you eat it. In addition to good quality workouts. Maybe you could review your food intake and workout schedule and see if there is some place that needs improvement. Maybe your workouts need to be kicked up a slight notch.

i eat 1200-2000 depending on the day b/c i do calorie staggering. this was the only way that works for me to shock my metabolism. one day a week, i eat cheat foods like pizza or mexican food but that very rarely puts me above 2200.

jes

I eat usually between 2600 and 3000 kcal a day. If I want to loose a few pounds I have to go down all the way to 2300 which is hard for me to do.

I am 5ft10, 150 lbs and pretty muscular with definition so my body fat should be below 20 %.

Wow, I'm so envious of all of you who are able to eat 2000+ calories a day and not gain weight! I couldn't eat that much to save my life - I have a very hard time going over 1700 calories without resorting to eating junk food. I eat as much food as I want, stop when I'm full (although sometimes eat more than I should), but I rarely get over 1500. That's just me though. My caloric requirements are apparently not very high.

>Wow, I'm so envious of all of you who are able to eat 2000+
>calories a day and not gain weight! I couldn't eat that much
>to save my life - I have a very hard time going over 1700
>calories without resorting to eating junk food. I eat as much
>food as I want, stop when I'm full (although sometimes eat
>more than I should), but I rarely get over 1500. That's just
>me though. My caloric requirements are apparently not very
>high.

Same here Emily. If I eat over 1700 calories, I will gain weight very easily. I think you and I are about the same height too aren't we? (give or take a couple inches)

I zigzag, so my big calorie day is 2,082 and 20% to 30% deficit days range is 1458 - 1666. I stick pretty close to these numbers on a fitday.

Wow Dani, with all your running I thought you could probably eat at least 2500 hundred calories and be fine:) I typically run 6.2 miles 4 to 5 times a week, work out an additional 5-6 hours (weights, whatever) per week and need to eat under 1500 calories to lose weight, 2000 to maintain. I have one of those tortoise metabolisms unfortunately, lol!

I eat at least 2200 calories a day. If I run, I eat close to 3000 since you need so much fuel for running. I have been losing weight consistantly for the past 14 months (since DS was born) and am back to prepregnancy clothes (that is about 40 pounds lost, post delivary). I am wondering if so many people gain weight when they eat more than 1500 calories is becuase the bod is in starvation mode. That also explains why a lot of people have low metabolisms. Excercise is supposed to boost metabolism so you are supposed to eat frequently to keep it up. Running 5 miles, for me, burns something like 550 calories or up, depending on my speed and if I do hills. You need 1200 calories just for your organs to function. If you are only eating a 1500 calorie a day diet, then you are really not helping your body out or leaving much leftover for any activity let alone excercise. Okay, I know that noone asked for advice, and I am sorry for offering it completely unsolicited, but there it is and you can ignore it if you want :)

Missy

somewhere in the range of 2500-3000 It just all depends on how hungry I am-and I do burn up around 500-700 cal a day with workouts.I ususally eat 1400 cal before 1:00:eek: I just maintain my wt.I know if I want to lose I will have to cut it some.Right now I am happy with the way I look so I don't strive to lose but if it happens I will take it;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.