How To Look Good Naked

nancy324

Cathlete
Did anyone see this last night? That poor woman spent 20 years hating her body, but I don't think there's anything unusual about how she felt. Weight and size, weight and size. We're bombarded with it. But those things don't define beauty. Carson Kressly can be a bit annoying, but I think the message of the show is important. Especially for teens and young women who are particularly vulnerable to feeling they have to look like models. My beautiful, shapely 16-yr. old niece keeps saying she's too fat when she's a perfect, healthy weight! The show needs some work, but I'd rather have my niece watch it than all those shows about models.

Anyone else see it?

No, but I wanted to! I am so sorry, I didn't catch it. I love the idea, so glad to hear feedback. Is is a Bravo show?

I think it's Lifetime, tneah. Friday nights at 9:00 eastern time. It is based on a BBC show of the same name which I have never seen. It seems to be getting very good reviews in the newspapers! Yay! :D Try to catch a rerun.

I caught it last night, I thought it was great, but like you said needs some work.
I noticed it's on again this afternoon (probably the rerun)? :)

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

I haven't seen the show but it is intriguing. Unfortunately, it comes on at the same time as WNTW which is my favorite show! I agree with you that it's high time we change the focus from weight and size and define beauty in another way.

I totally agree. Myself I have always had self image problems. I am currently 5'6" and 120 pounds...I stress myself out so bad to lose weight, and/or exercise all the time.

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

I saw this last night, and IMO, overall, the message is a positive one, and Carson Kressly very upbeat and supportive. The pro-clean-eating-and-fitness-fanatic part of me, though, winces when someone who appears overweight to me (and, yes, I'm sure my perception of thin and overweight has been influences by years of media)... anyway, someone who seems overweight to me, is meant to feel that it's a great thing. I know people would want to smack me for feeling that way... but I can't help it!!! Is it so wrong to recommend a good eating and exercise plan? But guess that's not what this show is all about. It seems to be a "love the shape you are RIGHT NOW" show, which clearly is needed for a lot of people.

I didn't see this show but sometimes watched one very similar to it when I lived in England. I think it's a good idea to encourage people to love and care for themselves at any size, though I also agree they should be encouraged to do it in a healthy way and to get to a more healthy size--not to "look perfect" but to have healthier hearts and bodies. I struggle a lot with my self-esteem and image especially when I compare myself to the size I was in college. I am now on the upper end of a healthy BMI, and I am trying to lose some more weight, but the weight is at least not so dangerous at this size. I also remember that when I was still in college and was a tiny little thing I never felt satisfied with how I looked either, even though now I'd love to be that size again.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif[/font]

After reading Nancy's original post about this show this morning and also reading that they might be re-running it today, I tivo'd it and just watched it.

At first I thought the same thing another poster did--shouldn't we be teaching others to live healthier and to NOT glorify heaviness? But about 10 minutes into the show, I realized that the show was trying to do something else. It was trying to make a miserable, self-loathing, insecure woman love who she is at that very second. Once you start to love yourself from the inside, I belive it then becomes much easier to lose weight or slim down a little bit. I was so overcome with happiness and joy for this woman. What a wonderful, life changing experience Carson gave her. Not to mention the fact that he is hilarious!

Yes, it's true that many people in America are overweight, but that doesn't mean that they (and I!) need to spend our lives detesting our bodies and overselves in general. The message of the show was fantastic. I will definetely be watching it next week. I feel better about myself just from watching this 30 minute program. And I think that's what the producers were hoping for. Americans may be too heavy, but we're also incredibly miserable. This show really showed that by making someone look at themselves and view themselves in a postive way, you can really change a person's life for the better.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I didn't get to see the show but from what I've read here I think the premise is fantastic and will look for it next week!

What Allison explained to be Carson's "goal" for the show makes perfect sense. Weight loss takes alot of work in many ways. If a person who is void of self-confidence and doesn't love themselves tries to lose weight, they will give up immediately if they do not see instantaneous results.

When you bolster the self-confidence and self-love then the person will be more likely to stick with it because they will have enough respect for and confidence in themselves to know not only that they NEED to do it for health reasons but that they CAN do it and that they are TOTALLY worth it!

I tivo'd as well. I thought about setting up to record the series and it showed this first episode being run I think almost daily. Wish I had read this post earlier and I could let you know what days and times exactly. I don't have much time as I must go to work tonight. I can let you know tomorrow.

Christie

> At first I thought the same thing another poster
>did--shouldn't we be teaching others to live healthier and to
>NOT glorify heaviness? But about 10 minutes into the show, I
>realized that the show was trying to do something else. It was
>trying to make a miserable, self-loathing, insecure woman love
>who she is at that very second. Once you start to love
>yourself from the inside, I belive it then becomes much easier
>to lose weight or slim down a little bit. I was so overcome
>with happiness and joy for this woman. What a wonderful, life
>changing experience Carson gave her. Not to mention the fact
>that he is hilarious!

Allison, you took the words right out of my .... fingers! I agree with you and Wendy. No one should ever loathe themselves, and if they do, that's the first order of business. You can't accomplish anything without a good attitude about yourself. The better you feel about yourself, the easier everything else becomes. This terrific woman was sitting home, not dating, and feeling awful about herself for 20 years. She's finally out of that self-imposed prison. And guess what? On the show's website, several guys have already asked her for a date. (She's such a cutie!) :D

I first thought "what does a gay guy know about a naked woman"? LOL!

But when I watched the show, I thought it was pretty good. They really did show how people have distorted views of how their body looks, and how a simple makeover (as well as the right style of clothing and a good-fitting bra) can make such a difference.

I didn't see the show but I want to.

I agree that we need to learn how to like/love ourselves so that we can take better care of ourselves. It makes total sense...the more you value your own **self** the more you will want to take the best care of that **self**.

I don't think the reverse works all that well...the "I will love me after I am the way I want to be"...healthy, fit...whatever.

But if you love yourself first, then you feel worthy of top notch care.

Think of it like a car. If you hate that car, how well are you going to car for it? Not all that much. But if you loved the car like crazzy, you will be massaging it with a soft cloth. The old, hated car...not so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.