How long for results with clean eating ?

jdollprince

Cathlete
Hey all. Ive been doing Cathe workouts since 2004 (off and on) and am pretty well versed in the diet and nutrition experiments. I looked/felt my best when I was eating clean and doing lots of workouts. Ive been eating VERY clean with low carbs/low glycemic index (only fish,eggs, beans, green veggies, nuts and minimal fruit) for three weeks now. I am in week one of cycle 2 in STS and have been spinning 3 times a week and walking on weekends at the beach.

These are DRASTIC changes in my lifestyle of the past year where i did not work out at all due to surgeries and ate like a total glutton. I would think the shock to my system would have afforded me some weight loss by now. I do feel better and stronger for sure! But im curious how long it took those of you who eat clean consistently to start leaning out?? I admit my success with clean eating and looking fabulous was some years back and i had a different metabolism then. BUT i am getting a little frustrated and hoping for some encouraging news with results for someone who isnt in her PRIME any longer:cool:

jes

What is considered prime? I am 35 (I had 3 babies, too) and just lost around 20lbs and tons of fat. I wear a size 6 clothing. I never have wore a six. Don't give up. It took about 4 months to drop the weight. Now I am trying to drop body fat. I want to enter figure comp. in October. Clean eating does work and also lifting heavy weights . If you don't see results in a few weeks, I would consult a nutritionist. I have one and he has taught me tons. I also view food totally different. Good luck. Surround yourself with positive people who supports your healthy lifestyle. Now I eat around 2500 calories a day, so I don't drop any more lbs. I do exercise about 1 hour 1/2 a day six days a week.

Jennifer

Hey jes! Long time no see. I'm glad to hear you are back on the workout/clean eating wagon. My only comment includes the dreaded "C" work - calories. No matter how clean you eat, you won't see results unless you reduce the calorie intake. If you are pretty careful with your calories, I can only suggest that you keep it up and not get discouraged. If it took you are year to gain, it may take that long to take it off healthily. Good luck.

Yes, I concur....sometimes we eyeball portions thinking that we are hitting the mark, but yet we might still be eating more than needed. I was telling another member recently about www.myfitnesspal.com, which is also an app on the iphone. It's the best calorie tracker and counter, I've ever found! As a personal trainer, I recommended it to all my clients, and those who chose to use it, have lost weight when adding to their training! It's got over 250,000 foods, even brands, in its database and factors in your height, weight, age, activity for the day and bases your calories on that. You can then clearly see when your portions are off track and when your choices have been less than stellar.
That said, thee best kind of weight loss happens SLOWLY. Any program where you lose 10lbs in a week, is not bodyfat, but water weight, and you will inevitably put it back on after you go off the program. The point of a healthy weight lifestyle is to find one that you can stick to longterm, find out what calories your body needs, zigzag them each day based on your activity - less on nonworkout days, more on workout days - and BE CONSISTENT. Slow and steady wins the race, not the "quick fix".
Sometimes when you first change your eating habits, your body will respond one of two ways: it will either hold on to water weight in the muscle and thereby although you might be eating better and less your body is adjusting to the change in regime and no loss is seen for a couple weeks until your body finally hormonally adjusts....on the other hand, sometimes your body will respond immediately, and then hit a plateau a few weeks later as it has to make more hormonal adjustments. Your hormones definately effect your weight loss.

Be consistent girl, it will happen. Monitor your portions, with nothing any bigger than your open palm, and keep on keeping on! It will happen!

I ate super healthy for 6 weeks, no slip ups, upped my workouts, and lost nothing. No matter what I eat, it's all about calories for me. I did however feel great, had no stomach issues, and I swear, it cleared up my cystic acne. After about 2 months of adding back white flour/sugar/processed foods, the acne is back, so I'm pretty certain the fabulous food I was eating cleared that right up. I definitely expanded on the definition of "small" amounts of natural/organic cheeses, I used olive oil in a couple of meals, and ate nuts in small amounts but a few times/day, all healthy but caloric.

Hi Robin! :)

Thanks for the responses. I am eating 1800 cals on the days i do cardio and 1400-1600 on the days i dont. Maybe that is too many? Im being very attentive to my portions and the majority of my meals is veggies. Im not going to give up or anything. I know it takes as long to get the weight off as it does to put it on. Im trying to be patient. (which i suck at)

I will check out that program you suggested!

jes

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.