How long does it take for a pulled muscle to heal?

mamads

Cathlete
I pulled a muscle in the upper part of my hamstring or buttock about a month ago. I have still been exercising but I am careful to not over stretch on that part of my leg. Do you have any good suggestions what to do? It is better and not as painful as it was at first but I don't want to make it any worse. TIA

Assuming you're just looking for others' experiences and would know when it was time to see a doctor... :)

For me, it depends. If I don't ice the injury, it takes forever, and it limits my ability to exercise for a good, long time...totally makes me crabby.

Recently, I did something I've done on and off to myself for years (I'll spare you the story). I tried a different approach though. I iced the hell out of it, every few hours throughout the day while it hurt, and right after exercise. Within a week, I was back to working out at about 80%. Within a month, I was back at 100%.

I'm the queen of pulled muscles. I've pulled a calf muscle twice, my hamstring, and my wrist.
The calf took 3 weeks. I still exercised; I just did the bike, elliptical, kickboxing, and floorwork for legs.I also did a lot of stretching. My hamstring took a good 9 months before it felt 100%. My doc told me I could exercise, but just avoid doing moves that aggravated my hamstring. The only thing that really bothered my injury was doing front kicks. Once I had three weeks of no pain, I could resume my normal activities. I hope you feel better soon!
Lorrie

Have you seen a dr who diagnosed a muscle pull? I ask because I had an injury in the same area you are describing and it turned out to be a tear of the hamstring tendon at the sit bones (ishial tuberosity). It took a long time to heal and months of physical therapy.

Regardless, you are very wise not to over-stretch it. Just listen to your body. Stop if there is pain and RICE when needed. Good luck!

JJ

No, I've not seen a doctor but it is getting better daily and I'm taking care not to over stretch with it besides the pain wouldn't let me forget. I remember when I pulled my shoulder muscle bad it took a couple months to really heal.

Thank for all your advice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.