How long?

Kimenem

Cathlete
How long does stress take to start affecting your body? My MVP (mitral valve prolapse) has caused weird heart beats since I was 17. Eventually, I started to get the "fluttery feeling," or what one poster described as a "fish flopping out of water" feeling and this would happen about once a month. Over the past month, however, it's been averaging every other day. They scare me WAY more than the weird beats I'm used to. Since the end of November, it seems like it's been one thing after another with me. I've been worried about SOMETHING: hair loss, hormones, thyroid, plus when the palps increase in frequency, I worry about THAT. I'm wondering if the stress of almost constant worry for 2 months is finally taking it's toll. I'm also 35 and I know peri-menopause symptoms could be starting. I probably need to have another echocardiogram (I try to have one every 5 yrs or so) but am just so tired of seeing a doctor for things I worry about. It's also hard not to worry. I remember one other time that these weird beats increased for awhile but I don't think they were this frequent and they did subside. Thanks for reading/listening.

I don't know how long, but as you are aware, stress will affect your body. I imagine that you have worn a holter monitor for a few days, no? I tend to be a worrier, too, so on one hand you may be worrying yourself sick (no pun intended!) but on the other, go to a doctor. Let him/her check you out and when all is well (which it most likely is) here's my doc's advice. She said, "Leslie, you are healthy, there's nothing wrong with your heart, but you know, either of us can walk out this door and have a heart attack" In other words, do what you can and let go of the rest. Also your doc may recommend some things to help you deal with your worry. It seems that that is what needs to be controlled.

I'd have to say no on the holter monitor and the idea of that does not thrill me. I do have anxiety meds and took them for a couple of mos but recently stopped because I don't want to be dependent on them.

I think I responded to you about this subject in a earlier post.

I do not have a mitral valve prolapse or anything, but experienced heart palps off and on so I went to a doctor who made me wear a heart monitor thing. I am fine. I pinpointed the problem to PMS and too much caffeine.
I really watch it around that time of the month. I have anxiety attacks for which I carry around xanax which I rarely take but I have it "just in case".

Why not just get the tests over with so you can "rest easy?" Peace of mind goes a long way to calm you down.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.