How fast does muscle loss occur when not working out......

briee

Cathlete
For the educated crowd.

How fast does muscle loss occur when you stop working out (or alter a workout)? I ask this question because I notice that in many comments regarding various rotations I see people commenting that they ie...."built muscle with S&H and then went to an endurance rotation and lost some". This just doesn't make sense to me. Theoretically...once the muscle is built, isn't it there to stay for some time???? When I was pregnant last time I was very amazed that I really didn't appear to "lose any muscle" despite my crummy, crummy, half-hearted workouts while pregnant and complete lack of intensity. After pregnancy my intensity picked up, but I never really appeared to "loose" the muscle I had previously built.

I realize that some rotations may cause one to loose weight (eating habits as well) and then the muscles are obviously more defined etc....but are they ever really "lost or smaller" (obviously after time this would happen - but THIS quick)??????

Also, my husband used to say that he didn't like all those muscle bound weight lifters because "the minute they stop working out...that all turns to flab and they look worse than when they started". So I'd also like to know if there is anything validity to this thought.

Thanks for your comments

Briee

Although I don't have the fancy-schmancy scientific jargon right at my disposal, I can state that one can lose muscle too darn fast when not working out. In fact, if one ceases exercise completely, fitness gains can begin to be lost within approximately 72 hours of the last workout bout. I think that is true for both cardiovascular / cardiopulmonary / cardiorespiratory fitness, and for strength and mass gains.

I'm living proof of the fact that, even if one maintains a muscle conditioning program but reverts to a lighter protocal, muscle mass can be lost. Last September, I stupidded out and tried to go too hard with biceps curls at the end of a workout session, and blasted some bursa in the upper portion of the left upper arm near the anterior delt. That totally fried my ability not only to engage the biceps but also the anterior delt pain-free for literally weeks, and I was unable to do any upper body work safely with the previous weight loads. Had to forego any upper body work for about a week (including meaningful aqua work) and go to lighter weights and rebuild as that area got better. My upper body muscles, especially the delts, shrunk noticeably.

As far as the notion that muscle can turn to fat, that's a myth with understandable underpinnings. If you discontinue strength training you can lose mass AND the metabolic benefits associated with it, as well as the ability to go harder at your cardio. Thus there is less energy expenditure as well as less energy metabolism, and this energy that might otherwise have been devoted to building and maintaining muscle mass instead gets stored as fat. However, it is a physical impossibility for muscle fibers to morph into storage fat.

A-Jock

I don't agree. I don't think it is the same for cardiovascular loss as it is for strength/mass.

I think you start losing fitness in this order: cardiovascular capacity-strength-mass. I think all three have different rates of loss. It also depends if you are completely inactive or not. If you continue to do plyometric based cardio, I would assume that the rate of muscle mass lost in the legs would not be so great as complete inactivity. But I do agree with the rest of what Ajock said.

Are you thinking of getting lazy? Surely not, after getting Power 90! How are the pull ups going? You can do more than me as I recall!

Janice

I betcha this is another case where we can't generalize because different bodies respond in different ways!

Briee, I did a quick search and found these, which I hope will be helpful to answer the original question. The second and third sites pretty much mirrored the information found on the first site, so rather than repost it, I simply copied the links. There were several other sites with the same information on them, so I'm assuming this is pretty up-to-date and authoritative research, but who knows?

I wasn't able to find the same kind of specific information on how quickly or not aerobic endurance declines with inactivity, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere, if someone has time to look, and knows where to find it.

http://www.fitnessathome.com.au/docs/tips/strength.htm

Strength Training

Wayne L. Westcott, Ph. D, Fitness/Research Director, YMCA
Massachusetts, USA

During the past few years, more and more studies have shown that sensible strength training produces many health and fitness benefits. Key researchers have provided a wealth of data on the positive physiological responses to basic programs of strength exercise. Consider these reasons to strength train:

Avoid Muscle Loss

Adults who do not strength train lose between 2.2 kg and 3.2 kg of muscle every decade. Although endurance exercise improves our cardiovascular fitness, it does not prevent the loss of muscle tissue. Only strength exercise maintains our muscle mass and strength throughout our mid-life years.

Avoid Metabolic Rate Reduction

Because muscle is very active tissue, muscle loss is accompanied by a reduction in our resting metabolism. Research indicates that an average adult experiences a 2% to 5% reduction in metabolic rate every decade of life. Because regular strength exercise prevents muscle loss, it also prevents the accompanying decrease in resting metabolic rate.

Increase Muscle Mass

Because most adults do not perform strength exercise, they need to first replace the muscle tissue that has been lost through inactivity. Fortunately, research shows that a standard strength training program can increase muscle mass by about 1.4 kg over an eight week training period. This is the typical training response for men and women who do 25 minutes of strength exercise, three days per week.

Increase Metabolic Rate

Research reveals that adding 1.4 kg of muscle increases our resting metabolism by 7%, and our daily calorie requirements by 15%. At rest, a kilogram of muscle requires 77 calories per day for tissue maintenance, and during exercise muscle energy utilisation increases dramatically. Adults who replace muscle through sensible strength exercise use more calories all day long, thereby reducing the likelihood of fat accumulation.

Reduce Body Fat

In a 1994 study, strength exercise produced 1.8 kg of fat loss after three months of training, even though the subjects were eating 15% more calories per day. That is, a basic strength training program resulted in 1.4 kg more muscle, 1.8 kg less fat, and 370 more calories per day food intake.

Increase Bone Mineral Density

The effects of progressive resistance exercise are similar for muscle tissue and bone tissue. The same training stimulus that increases muscle strength also increases bone density and mineral content. A 1993 study demonstrated significant increases in the bone mineral density of the upper femur after four months of strength exercise.

Improve Glucose Metabolism

Researchers have reported a 23% increase in glucose uptake after four months of strength training. Because poor glucose metabolism is associated with adult onset diabetes, improved glucose metabolism is an important benefit of regular strength exercise.

Reduce Low Back Pain

Years of research on strength training and back pain conducted at the University of Florida Medical School have shown that strong low-back muscles are less likely to be injured than weaker low-back muscles. A recent study found that low-back patients had significantly less back pain after 10 weeks of specific (full range) strength exercise for the lumbar spine muscles.

Reduce Resting Blood Pressure

Strength training alone has been shown to reduce resting blood pressure significantly. A 1995 study revealed that combining strength and aerobic exercise is an even more effective means of improving blood pressure readings. After two months of combined exercise, the study participants dropped their systolic blood pressure by 5 mm Hg and their diastolic blood pressure by 3 mm Hg.

Improve Blood Lipid Levels

Although the effect of strength training on blood lipid levels needs further research, several studies have revealed improved blood lipid profiles after several weeks of strength exercise. It is important to note that improvements in blood lipid levels are similar for both endurance and strength exercise.

Talk to your fitness professional about information on
designing a strength training program for you.

This handout is provided by Network for Fitness Professionals
P0 Box 57, Neutral Bay, NSW 2089.
Web site: www.globalfit.net

http://www.crunchtimefitness.com.au/id35.htm

http://www.troyhunt.com/fitness/TwelveReasons.html

Hope they help.

Carol
:)

RE: How fast does muscle loss occur when not working ou...

AJ....very interesting and thankyou, but I'm still trying to make this make sense in my tiny mind because when you build muscle you can feel the muscle...tissue has been built and it doesn't seem like this can just decrease in size at a fast rate, because muscle isn't made up of water or "sponge" (isn't that scientific) so to speak (although I know you get that pumped up look when your in the "midst" of exercising)....it's solid. My cardio seems to decrease overnight if I don't do it VERY regularly, but again while I was pregnant I did very little and my muscle seemed to hang in there, while my cardio was shot to @#$#%$ really quick and it took a long time to get that back. But you are saying that you CAN loose that muscle pretty fast. So when they say that muscles have memory, would it follow that if you lost the muscle pretty quick it could bounce back (size wise) much quicker when you "go at it" again?

Janice....NO I'M NOT TAKING ANY BREAKS. And thanks for your response too. I was just rolling this idea around in my head and wondering what would happen if I ever had to take a break or what will happen when I'm 60+ years old. I realize my intensity will drop accordingly, but will my muscles greatly decrease in size (I know this is a whole 'nother question). It could be that I did "just enough" while I was pregnant to maintain my mass, but it seems like I didn't do much at all (and cardio wise I did didley).

Carole, thanks for taking the time to do a search and for the articles - very interesting.

ALSO ....here's another thought I've had. Can you build more muscle if you start at the age of 20 or so when your muscle mass is not decreasing than someone who starts at the age of say 38 (because they are in the decline with muscle mass)? I better not throw too many questions in here, but I am fascinated by all this.

Pull ups are going.....and yes I can do loads more than you (a whole "1" I believe). Actually the chest and back tape went well today, I can keep up with whats her name because she uses the chair most of the time, but this is very deceiving because one can press a tad harder and go right up and look quite a bit like one who is barely placing her foot on the chair. :7 :7 :7 something to keep in mind as one brags!!! (now...the legs/back DVD has this amazon woman who does all real pullups - at least until the very end - but you know what, I didn't see any bicep vein on her which made me think that I may never get one possibly - what a sad thought;(

Briee

Thank you so much Janice. Everybody needs to read this article....I'm going to print it off for some friends. Not too long and to the point. I have many friends in their 50's and are afraid it's too late.

You better let us know next time you are thinking of (parish the thought) NOT working out any longer so we can all come to Arizona and beat you up.....or at least encourage you on the forum. :)

Briee

Briee, muscle does contain water. In fact, most of our bodies are water. The whole "pump" you get in a muscle when you lift is water/blood flowing into the area. Creatine gives the pumped look because it pulls water into the muscle fibers. As for "muscle memory", that refers to doing the same exercises all the time, not memory in terms of retaining size or shape or strength. In other words, if you want to remember how to do a specific activity, the theory goes if you repeat it enough times, it will be in your "muscle memory" and you will be able to duplicate it more easily. It doesn't mean your muscles actually "remember" their size or shape or former strength. Muscle is organic tissue and as such will break down the same as any other tissue in our bodies. The only true "memory" we have is in the neurons of our brains, and even scientists can't agree on how exactly it is we store the concept we call "memory" in them. Nerve cells (neurons) are not the same types of cells as those found in muscles. Muscles have their own types of cells, and in them you will find the mitochondria which are the body's "powerhouses". That's where that whole Kreb's cycle comes in, having to do with conversion of energy. Don't ask ... I memorized that long enough to take a test a few dozen times, but it's mostly mush now ... so much for MY neurons - LOL!!

Anyway ... I hope my rambling helps answer some of your questions.

Carol
:)

Bobbi....thanks so much!!!! Carol I understand the relationship between muscle and water and the "pump", but was wondering about the actual muscle itself and how quickly it would decrease. I do appreciate your information!!!! :7 :7 :7

Briee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.